Gas tank

I need some help! I have a1987 MJ Sportruck 4 or 5 years ago the gas tank and all of its contents rusted out. It was replaced be a fuel cell in my tool box in the bed and an electric inline fuel pump under the truck. Last year I found a sending unit and tank that runs in the we installed in bed to see if would run and it did.

We then tried to mount it under truck and it was too wide and is to close to drive shaft. So I ordered new tank thinking it was wrong size got same size tank. All of the tanks on most websites are same ones. I don't know why we can't get it to fit properly.its a swd 2wd 4cy. Any help would be appreciated.

No the old tank is gone the new one is J670105 replacement fuel tank from Carparts.com

I thought carparts was a listing service for junkyards. They sell new parts, too?

What are the length and width measurements on your tank?

Looks like the right part number and the dimensions are very close to what I found on Amazon:

Perfect Fit Group J670105 - Comanche Fuel Tank, Steel, Silver, 18 Gal./ 68 Liters, 29-3/ 4 X 17-1/ 4 X 13-5/ 8 In., W/O Seals

I have to wonder just how close to the drive shaft it is?  Did you measure it?  I will measure mine later today and post the result.

How close is it?  They're normally quite close...  The 2wd driveshaft is a large diameter tube, and if anything else is amiss (rear axle is bent over due to a crash, or the trans is mounted wrong or the mounts are shot) it could easily be too close.

What would be the acceptable distance from the driveshaft?

How close is it? Measure it. LWB or SWB? Mine's about 3" and it's a LWB.

It should be a SWB given that it's a SporTruck and the P/N is for a SWB tank.

I'm running a retubed (lengthened) front shaft on my SWB, and I doubt I even have 3".  I'd measure it but I'm not in town.

True - missed the SporTruck. The 2WD rubber sheathed drive shaft was about 4" in diameter but I replaced it with a Tom Wood unit. Did they also use the rubber shafts on the SWB trucks? I thought I read somewhere that they only used them on long beds but not positive.........

I think even the SWB 2wd trucks used them.  I cut up and scrapped a shaft that I think was the original from my truck, as it started as a 2wd, and it had the rubber dampener thing.  It was probably 3.5" diameter.

Like I said, I don't have a lot of clearance, and I've got a 2.25" (IIRC) diameter retubed front shaft.

The weather has been a little bad around here the last 2 days and the truck is out in the weather so please understand the wait. I think that we my also have an issue with the location of the tank not sure it is where it should be. Does anyone have a pic of the correct location of the tank from a couple of angles. It's been so long since it was there thought maybe we over one way or another?

I don't have a picture of one installed - I looked.

If you take a picture of how you've installed it, I'm sure we can figure out if it is right or not.

However, as long as you put the straps in the right square holes in the frame (there's three square holes behind the cab, it's the first two that you use), and put the straps in the right place on the tank (they go in the two wide relieved areas on the bottom), and put the J bolts in the brackets on the box...  It really can't be in the wrong place.

No the old tank is gone the new one is J670105 replacement fuel tank from Carparts.com

I thought carparts was a listing service for junkyards. They sell new parts, too?

What are the length and width measurements on your tank?

There are two different sites..

car-part.com

which is junkyard and then,

carparts.com

which is new parts...

I live about 35 miles north of Orlando. It's been storming for the last three days and raining about the last four hours.

yeah the rain has put a damper on my project mj also. yesterday sucked started around 2 and stopped around 8-9

Update we got the tank in finally, everything seems to be alright. Just need to get filler hoses and that will be done. Just wanted to thank everyone for their input all is appreciated. I'm not sure where to put this but I have Rockauto 5%off code that expires on June 18. If somebody can use it PM me.

I understand that advance auto parts has fuel filler hoses by the foot in all sizes locally. These aren't for red hoses but they will work. But there is also a crown part # 52000623 listed as fuel filler hoses for Jeep had ordered from summit but they were backordered til 6/19 didn't want to wait that long.