HP 44 and Ford 9 inch swap

I have a SWB 88 Comanche with a 4.0 and AW4, currently running a 8.8 SOA in the rear and dana 30 front, both geared to 4.88. I'm thinking of selling my 99 Tj and I've been tossing around the idea of swapping in a HP44 and 9 inch out of a late 70's ford pickup into my Comanche. Any advantages disadvantages I should know about before hand? Truck gets mildly wheeled. Would like to go from a 33 to a 35 in the near future.

Thanks in advance!

been there, done that.  won't do it again.  I'm not saying it can't be done (because mine worked out pretty good in the end after a lot of "engineering"), but the wedges suck to work around and I'm just sick of dealing with old parts.  next time it's going to be super duty axles or brand new JK axles.  :D  

Thanks for the replies! That's why I came here to ask lol. Maybe it'd be a better move to just throw some chromo shafts in the d30, lock it, and see what happens lol. JK axles around here seem to be rather pricy around here at least.

Cheap, reliable, bigger tires.  You can only pick too.

The XJ/MJ D30 (and the D44) is quite inferior to the newer JK stuff, and IMHO 35" tires should not be put on a D30.  Every time I say that somebody says "But you can, I did it, my cousin did it, blah blah blah."  It's just a failure waiting to happen, not that you can't do it.  Everything about that axle was not meant to do it.

I'd stick with 33s unless you want to break stuff or spend more money.  Chromo shafts are just a bandaid for the other weaknesses, and you'll probably need them eventually anyways.

Like I said, to do it over I'd have gone with JK axles for my current MJ, and I only run 32" tires.  Beyond being a strength upgrade, the other value in them is they come with better brakes, way better steering, a bolt pattern that is now way more common, and are a much better width than the factory axles.  Plus the aftermarket is all over them right now.

i run a full width 77 F250 Dana 44 (leaf perches, 1/2" tubes) and a 9" out of a 79 bronco.  have to swap to chevy small bearing spindles and brakes so that you can run ford 5x5.5 hubs to match the 9".  i like the added width for stability reasons.

• 2 years later...