my beer froze instantly!!!!

jared

so i discovered i had one last corona in thefridge tonight :cheers: so i threw it in the freezer and went back to surfing the net. 40 minutes later i remember the beer. pull it out of the freezer and its still in its golden liquid form jamminz.gif so i was excited cause i only love my beer freezing cold. so i poured n some lime juice (ran out of limes :oops: ) and then did the flip the bottle upside down with the thumb over the opening and the beer instantly froze to a slush :eek: :eek: :eek: i never seen it happen before.

has this crazy phenomenon happened to anyone else :popcorn:

I've experienced it with pop and water before. An easy way to tell when it's about to happen, is when you find a couple frozen, but not all of them, the remaining ones should do the instant freeze thing when you pop the top. :brows:

it was pretty badass to see it freeze before my eyes, but my beer was froze and i got instantly pissed off. most of it ended up in the sink as it started to slowly overflow :cry:

so i discovered i had one last corona in thefridge tonight :cheers: so i threw it in the freezer and went back to surfing the net. 40 minutes later i remember the beer. pull it out of the freezer and its still in its golden liquid form jamminz.gif so i was excited cause i only love my beer freezing cold. so i poured n some lime juice (ran out of limes :oops: ) and then did the flip the bottle upside down with the thumb over the opening and the beer instantly froze to a slush :eek: :eek: :eek: i never seen it happen before.

has this crazy phenomenon happened to anyone else :popcorn:

Anytime you need to add fruit to beer to drink it, that means its not good beer to start with.

that just sounds plain out sweet... although i think tryin it with a couple longnecks in MY fridge might get me a slap on the wrists... cuz you know, somethin about them changin the drinkin age like 20 years ago? :dunno: who knew?

Yes, it all has to do with presure.

This has happend to me, well, so many times I can't remember. :headpop:

Since the bottle is presurized, it needs a cold temperature to freeze, when the top is opened the presure is lowered and then it freezes.

The same thing can happen by tapping the bottle as this causes a momentary drop in presure by causing the carbonated 'bubbles' to pop. and the liquid is so cold that the carbonation doesn't build back up to the same presure because it is so cold.

Next time this happens, don't dump your beer drown the drain, (even if it is a cornona), rather set the frozen beer bottle in the sink, so any overflow goes down the drain, and wait about 5-10 minutes, then it should be drinkable,might be slightly 'flat', but hell if it's your last beer,,, ,,, ,,,

pressure is inverse to temperature.

release pressure and gas reduces the temperature of the liquid that the gas was in.

leading to slushy.

so, it's not deirectly related to pressure, it's just a side effect of an extremely cold carrier liquid releasing a massive amount of CO2 all at once.

if it had fizzled off slowly it wouldn't have frozen.

release pressure and gas reduces the temperature of the liquid that the gas was in.

leading to slushy.

Maybe I see it wrong, but...

The liquid was already below freezing. Possibly by several degrees. However, it did not freeze because water, unlike almost all other substances, expands when it freezes. If it were to expand, the pressure would rise and effectively force it back into a liquid state (compressing ice = water).

When the pressure is released (open the cap) it allows it to quickly turn to a solid state as there is no pressure forcing it back into a liquid.

It's an equilibirum reaction, until the cap is pulled.

well i like corona its good stuff. and i still did drink it, but only about half of it cause the other half went down the drain

Just teasing you about your taste of Beer. ;)

I know that pipes in a house will not freeze and burst at 32 degrees, it needs to get much colder before that happens, simply because the water is under presure.

I thought that the same principal applied to Beer, or even soda.

But Now that I think of it, it's only happend to me with beer and soda. Never with water. So perhaps there something to the, freezing when the gas is released. On the otherhand perhaps the fact that it is carbonated means there is an even greater presure in the can or bottle? Thus requiring a colder temperature to freeze?

I geuss I'll go have another Bier and ponder some more of lifes mysteries,,,,,,

It's raining here so I can't get much done on any of my jeeps anyhow!