What Minuit knows about stock Jeep radios

That was going to be one of my questions. Do you resell or just collect? You answered that one. So, do you sell based on requests? What model years are factory fit? Lastly, I'm looking to go to stock appearance, however, I do not need a working tape. Just the unit with the best FM receiver, one that can be modified to accept an aux input and an amp added.

Sorry for my sarcasm earlier. I never seem to learn that it's not something that is apparent in text.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Going in order,

It started as a collection, but it's kinda morphed into a small side-business. At the moment I sell by request - the CC member who bought the 88 radio reached out to me asking what the best radio was for his needs - turned out to be the 88 radio in the pics.

All of these radios have the same single DIN form factor and all will fit 84-96 XJs and MJs. The AMC radios have a different plug arrangement and antenna, but all of the Chrysler radios are interchangeable. The years each radio was original equipment are listed in the main post, but you can put any of them in any truck.

Edit from the future: The antenna plug on AMC radios only looks different. It works with the Chrysler connector.

The one with the best FM reception seems to be the 56002467, which is the one with the green display and DX button. Actually, it's the best one all around in every category other than raw power without an amp hooked up, not a concern if you want to use an amp also. Sadly, they are very difficult to come by since they were last used in 1991. I can point you to a couple of eBay listings, but they're IMO overpriced for what you're getting.

The 92-93 56009004 should also be pretty good, since it shares a lot of similarities with the 2467 on the inside and uses a lot of the same components, but I can't say for sure, but I have one on the way.

The 94-96 56007214 IMO is unremarkable. It's the only one that has the "MPS" lettering on the Seek button. It really doesn't do anything better than the others in my opinion, which makes it an ok 3rd choice. Sadly it's also the most common.

All non-AMC cassette decks are much, much easier to add an aux input to - the 2467 works best with this. I combine adding the aux-in cable with adjustment of the AM radio volume. I have a prototype aux input solution on one of the AMC decks, but I'd really like to keep the one I have.

If you don't care about having the cassette player you may also consider the AM-FM only radios. They aren't as super easy to add aux input to as the cassette decks, but it can be done.

I did a writeup of installing a tiny Alpine 45Wx4 amp in my '91 on the last page. I'm very, very, very pleased with the results. So much so that I recommend at least a small amp to anyone who wants to retrofit a stock system into their truck - the way I did it keeps the wiring completely original as well.

If you can't tell, I really don't do brief answers :)

Removed quote of long post to keep the thread as readable as possible - M

Just wanted to add a few points to what Minuit has said (and in a very high quality fashion, nontheless) about the sound offerings for the AMC/Chrysler lineup during the 80s-mid 90s.

The AMC "Electronic Tuning" Dolby digital radio (more precisely, both, as I am to assume if the house branded DNR radio is the same, functionality wise) is very prone to excessive heat issues, as he previously stated: IE: I have noticed many times on the hot summer days that if I am using the tape deck, some of the key functions such as the "Dolby Surround" or the "Metal" tape buttons cease to work, or seem to come and go. When I have the truck running after about 15 minutes, the functions seem to return as they usually work thereafter with no issues.

I have noticed that using an auxiliary tape deck to MP3 line-in jack, that using the "Metal" button produces a noticeable (but slight) increase to the overall bass of songs being played through the unit. Although if this is simply a coincidence or having due in part to the design of the aftermarket adapter cassette itself is currently unknown on my part.

As it stands currently, the Dolby Digital unit I have in my truck (complimented by two front 5x1/4" Kicker speakers and 2 4x6 Sony's in the back) I have seemingly lost almost all function out of every use of the FM side of the radio. The AM side will search, and all buttons function as they should (to great annoyance, I might add), so as far as my experience in using it goes, I am quite limited in my review.

I will say that however bleak the situation is, I have indeed noticed a substantially quality sound that this unit in particular can produce, when coupled with speakers of near OE quality. The range of bass, treble, and added "DD" functionality, as well as the high output of the overall volume it can produce make this a head unit worth finding and restoring, not only as from a OE look, but as also a bit of a rare example of one of the best OE radios I've ever had the pleasure to use.

Let it be noted that I do have both of the AMC offered radios for the late model Jeep lineups, but I decided to go with the DD one simply because it's mechanical cassette insert and release mechanism is just that, mechanical. Seeing as how my truck lacked the OE harness (on the truck side) to adapt to the radio, I had to splice it in manually. I prefer the form of the DD unit over AMC's "house brand" Electronic DNR offering merely because I doubt the capabilities of 30+ year old electronics to function as they should when used in such a hot climate as I live in today, as evidenced by the own issues with my current head unit in my MJ.

On 5/1/2017 at 2:17 PM, Ataki said:

Looks like another variation on the 2467. The ad is ambiguous as to whether or not it works. I wouldn't bid any higher than about $40 shipped on it, but if nobody else bids that's an ok deal. That's a YJ bracket, but I can't tell you at this very moment whether or not the XJ bracket will bolt on. I imagine it probably would. If it turns out not to work then there's things we can do to fix them.

On 5/1/2017 at 2:27 PM, Red Rocker79 said:

Removed quote of long post to keep the thread as readable as possible - M

Just wanted to add a few points to what Minuit has said (and in a very high quality fashion, nontheless) about the sound offerings for the AMC/Chrysler lineup during the 80s-mid 90s.

The AMC "Electronic Tuning" Dolby digital radio (more precisely, both, as I am to assume if the house branded DNR radio is the same, functionality wise) is very prone to excessive heat issues, as he previously stated: IE: I have noticed many times on the hot summer days that if I am using the tape deck, some of the key functions such as the "Dolby Surround" or the "Metal" tape buttons cease to work, or seem to come and go. When I have the truck running after about 15 minutes, the functions seem to return as they usually work thereafter with no issues.

I have noticed that using an auxiliary tape deck to MP3 line-in jack, that using the "Metal" button produces a noticeable (but slight) increase to the overall bass of songs being played through the unit. Although if this is simply a coincidence or having due in part to the design of the aftermarket adapter cassette itself is currently unknown on my part.

As it stands currently, the Dolby Digital unit I have in my truck (complimented by two front 5x1/4" Kicker speakers and 2 4x6 Sony's in the back) I have seemingly lost almost all function out of every use of the FM side of the radio. The AM side will search, and all buttons function as they should (to great annoyance, I might add), so as far as my experience in using it goes, I am quite limited in my review.

I will say that however bleak the situation is, I have indeed noticed a substantially quality sound that this unit in particular can produce, when coupled with speakers of near OE quality. The range of bass, treble, and added "DD" functionality, as well as the high output of the overall volume it can produce make this a head unit worth finding and restoring, not only as from a OE look, but as also a bit of a rare example of one of the best OE radios I've ever had the pleasure to use.

Let it be noted that I do have both of the AMC offered radios for the late model Jeep lineups, but I decided to go with the DD one simply because it's mechanical cassette insert and release mechanism is just that, mechanical. Seeing as how my truck lacked the OE harness (on the truck side) to adapt to the radio, I had to splice it in manually. I prefer the form of the DD unit over AMC's "house brand" Electronic DNR offering merely because I doubt the capabilities of 30+ year old electronics to function as they should when used in such a hot climate as I live in today, as evidenced by the own issues with my current head unit in my MJ.

I was kinda hoping you'd chime in eventually! I'm sad to say I'm not surprised by your Dolby unit's overheating issues. These radios actually use dual chip amplifiers (which are 4-ohm stable themselves), but the heat sinking on them can sometimes be insufficient for extended use at high volume - those old chips waste a lot of energy as heat. Also, the amplifiers are mounted very close to several electrolytic capacitors. The Chrysler era radios use a much larger finned heat sink and have better thermal isolation for the parts overall. I'd be willing to bet that this is the main reason these quit working - the amps burn the capacitors up. If I were to install an AMC unit in a truck, I would only do it with just 2 4-ohm speakers, or 4 8-ohm speakers. I suspect you could get away with running 4 4-ohm speakers by installing an external amp (which I highly recommend anyway) and turning the gain up to offload the work from the internal amplifiers. Kind of a bummer, because my Dolby unit sounds great too.

Every time I've used a tape adapter (not very often) in my Chrysler radios it went into metal tape mode. I bet the "tape" in the adapter is similar to what a metal cassette would have.

I do like the mechanical cassette transport. I suspect the DNR radio uses a very similar cassette transport to the later Chrysler offerings. Accordingly they're probably a source of problems.

Edit from the future: The DNR cassette mechanism is even more complex than the Chrylser version. From my small sample size it actually seems more reliable, but kinda finicky.

Thanks very much for your input. Do you mind if I add some of it to the main post?

Oh yes - Red, forgot to mention this. I have the full service manual for the AMC Dolby unit. If you think it could be useful, I could send you some scans of it. If you're feeling lucky I'd love the chance to get my own hands on it too, but my tentative guess is that the heat burned up a component related to the FM tuner.

Sorry for the long quote, Minuit; it's been a while since I last posted anything of relevance here, so I forgot that it pulls the entire thing.  :doh:

You're more than welcome to add my part to your main body if you think it's worth adding. I was surprised you actually got to tinkering around with some of these old head units.

I had actually taken both units apart to service and clean them (I bought them both from Jim O. several years back but only got around to throwing the DD one in my truck just a few months ago); although I didn't see anything inside that would denote failure, I nontheless cleaned the circuit boards, rollers, and the like with 91(?) Isopropyl rubbing alcholol; allowed them to air dry for a few days, then re-assembled and stored them.

Other than dust buildup from what I assume to be the Colorado dust, I'm surprised that the DD unit didn't function any better than it does. Looks like I may have to do some work to it in the future when I decide to give the DNR house-branded one a go.

Oh yes - Red, forgot to mention this. I have the full service manual for the AMC Dolby unit. If you think it could be useful, I could send you some scans of it. If you're feeling lucky I'd love the chance to get my own hands on it too, but my tentative guess is that the heat burned up a component related to the FM tuner.

They actually have service manuals for these things? Color me impressed; I didn't think they would have something like that for radios back then. I figured it was "if it works, great! If not, we'll order you a replacement free of charge!" type of deal. If you want to take the time to scan it, I'd be interested in reading it!

Sorry for the long quote, Minuit; it's been a while since I last posted anything of relevance here, so I forgot that it pulls the entire thing.  :doh:

You're more than welcome to add my part to your main body if you think it's worth adding. I was surprised you actually got to tinkering around with some of these old head units.

I had actually taken both units apart to service and clean them (I bought them both from Jim O. several years back but only got around to throwing the DD one in my truck just a few months ago); although I didn't see anything inside that would denote failure, I nontheless cleaned the circuit boards, rollers, and the like with 91(?) Isopropyl rubbing alcholol; allowed them to air dry for a few days, then re-assembled and stored them.

Other than dust buildup from what I assume to be the Colorado dust, I'm surprised that the DD unit didn't function any better than it does. Looks like I may have to do some work to it in the future when I decide to give the DNR house-branded one a go.

They actually have service manuals for these things? Color me impressed; I didn't think they would have something like that for radios back then. I figured it was "if it works, great! If not, we'll order you a replacement free of charge!" type of deal. If you want to take the time to scan it, I'd be interested in reading it!

I haven't ever found one for a Jeep radio newer than 1988. That's a shame because they're really helpful. Pinouts of all of the integrated circuits, PCB layouts. Neat stuff. I'll be able to get to it this weekend. This week is finals week, and well... I've spent too much time talking about radios this week as it is. :)

You guys are geeks... I dig it  :thumbsup:

Minuit: if you don't mind me asking, what kind of moneys do you look to get out of repairing/modifying one of these things?  Do you only source them then re-sell, or have you taken a "customer-supplied" unit and work your magic?  I'm really interested in a factory radio of some type for my '90 and the reality of it is I'm already stretched too thin to take on something like this (and probably will be for the rest of time).  

I may insist on attempting to find a "pre-out" for a standard external amplifier though... might kill the deal for ya I know  ;)

Minuit,

A related, but different, question about the stereo arena.  What is your opinion on aftermarket antennas? I live in a mountainous area and my FM reception is, well, it sucks! I know that my geography cannot be improved, but I wonder if any of the carbon fiber, aluminum, short, rubber or "amplified" antennas actually work.

(for the record, I did reply to A-man but it was via PM. I'd rather leave business to PMs.)

Minuit,

A related, but different, question about the stereo arena.  What is your opinion on aftermarket antennas? I live in a mountainous area and my FM reception is, well, it sucks! I know that my geography cannot be improved, but I wonder if any of the carbon fiber, aluminum, short, rubber or "amplified" antennas actually work.

I really don't know much about antennas. I rarely listen to FM myself but the stock antenna has always been fine as long as they're making a good connection. There's a connector for it under the right side of the dash with a spring inside that can get corroded . I'd find that connector and make sure it is plugged in properly. Some people unplug it and remove the spring also, but on my truck the spring is still in there and my FM reception is great.

(for the record, I did reply to A-man but it was via PM. I'd rather leave business to PMs.

I figured as much. I wouldn't ask you a "money" question in an open forum.

However, how often do you see the AM/FM only decks?

Not as common as the AM/FM/Cassettes but they're out there. None of them to my knowledge have the aux input pins, so any aux input added would need to be slightly more creative. In the AMC era you see them more often. In the Chrysler days they only came on the very most basic XJs and MJs, so I assume most people opted for the cassette player.

I have a 94-96 one in my red truck right now, and it sounds perfectly fine. I like the sliding bass/treble controls.

Edit from the future: With a bigger sample size, the AM-FM only Chrysler decks are roughly as common as the cassette decks.

I agree. I very, very rarely use the tape deck, and for a guy like me it's extra frustration because the tape decks are an extra point of failure and hard to source parts for. The main advantage of going with a tape deck is the extremely easy aux input, not the use of the tape. The Chrysler era AM/FMs don't have the TP371 and TP471 pins. Not that that would stop you from soldering an input cable somewhere else. They just don't show up very often, so I haven't gotten as many chances to play around with them. Once I get a chance there's one in the '89. I'll pull it out and poke around in it.

• 2 weeks later...

I got some free time to mess around today...

sqMeHVtl.jpg

What a fantastic radio! I wish these were more common than they are. I currently have just 2 4ohm speakers in the doors, and the radio by itself is more than loud enough even with the window down and the smoker windows all the way out. If you can find one of these, I highly recommend it. In this setup with just 2 4-ohm front speakers, this deck can put out about 22W cleanly per channel, which is very respectable. If this deck didn't have such bad heat problems with 4 4-ohm speakers, it would top the 2467 for sure.

"What a fantastic radio! I wish these were more common than they are."

So do I! I've come to the conclusion that I prefer the understated look of car stereos from the 80s and 90s. I especially like the separate bass and treble controls, or better yet, a small three-band EQ! At my age, I prefer to make adjustments on the fly vs having to push buttons and scroll through menus.

BTW, Minuit, were ignition noise suppressors commonly installed on these OEM systems?

If only you could fit an Infinity II into a MJ... I've tried, not possible unless you want to do some serious cutting.

Fun fact: the cassette module he complains about so much in the article I linked is the exact same cassette module that the Chrysler era tape decks use!

"What a fantastic radio! I wish these were more common than they are."

So do I! I've come to the conclusion that I prefer the understated look of car stereos from the 80s and 90s. I especially like the separate bass and treble controls, or better yet, a small three-band EQ! At my age, I prefer to make adjustments on the fly vs having to push buttons and scroll through menus.

BTW, Minuit, were ignition noise suppressors commonly installed on these OEM systems?

I don't think I've seen any dedicated noise suppression gear in these from the factory. With that said, I've never had ignition noise. The 1990 FSM suggests cleaning the ignition coil mounting and installing a few capacitors if ignition noise is an issue.

I don't think I've seen any dedicated noise suppression gear in these from the factory.

The RFI-specified ECU really helps out preventing radio noise, even on AM. Some trucks had 'em, some didn't. My original ECU was non-RFI, and the radio had terrible engine static...........

I don't think I've seen any dedicated noise suppression gear in these from the factory.

The RFI-specified ECU really helps out preventing radio noise, even on AM. Some trucks had 'em, some didn't. My original ECU was non-RFI, and the radio had terrible engine static...........

Interesting. Maybe my truck has the RFI ECU (April 17, 1991 production date), because I have absolutely no problems with engine static. The only time I get any kind of noise with a totally stock 56002467 + amp is when I plug in the $#!&ty dollar store phone charger when playing music.

A good condition braided engine ground does wonders to help as well.

Yep, and the FSM also has instructions for adding additional straps on the fenders, hood and engine block if there are noise complaints.

Interesting. Maybe my truck has the RFI ECU (April 17, 1991 production date), because I have absolutely no problems with engine static. The only time I get any kind of noise with a totally stock 56002467 + amp is when I plug in the $#!&ty dollar store phone charger when playing music.

What's your ECU p/n?

What's your ECU p/n?

No idea, will need to look. I don't remember seeing a label on it - where is the p/n label on these?

• Pete M pinned this topic