my first vehicle

backstory- back in early 2015 i saw this comanche for sale but had no money, after about a year of working and saving i started looking again. i came across the jeep again one year later in early 2016, with the same selling owner. i contacted him, drove 2 hours up to north jersey with my father and brought it home  

when i went to look at it, it was about -2 degrees out and i didn't crawl under it. about a week after i got it home i peeled up the carpet to find someone put an aluminum patch on the driver side. and a slowly rotting passenger side

hk2BjZ5l.jpg jRFlk0xl.jpg

it has the original renix 4.0 with 212,000 miles, an ax15/np231 out of a 99 Cherokee, 99 Cherokee front hp dana 30, a 96 ford explorer 8.8 with disc brakes and a pieced together rubicon express 5.5 inch lift. I let it sit till may of 2016 until i started to restore it to make my daily driver. i have plans to put the 97 front clip on, redo the suspension, fix all the rust and make it reliable.

qOvALRzl.jpg  

undercoated the front part of the unibody 

wG2PHhll.jpg

replaced the entire cooling system 

Dloxmnal.jpg

and put the front clip on i pieced together from junk yard and swap meet parts.

Glv00PEl.jpg

also installed rough country quick disconnect sway bars,  jcr one ton utk steering, new ball joints and new suspension bushings in the rear 

Dpi80W5l.jpg

when i brought the jeep to Globex performance in toms river nj for an alignment we where talking about swapping the doors and how i couldn't find 97+ doors with crank windows, one of the guys there told me a junk yard where some are stashed. so about a week later a friend and i went to get the doors and they where in great shape and ended up getting them $150 for the pair 

dk9e55Tl.jpg

wasted no time putting them on and getting the new style striker installed 

0gci7b2l.jpg 6sJ46ZBl.jpg

i ended up selling my old doors for $150 so i pretty much got the doors for free. 

drove the truck around as is for the next couple months still rotted out, until a couple weeks ago when my brother stepped through my floor, i wish i got a picture of that. now back up to the present i started to do the rust repair. i took the bed off, cut out the floors, inner rockers and started to sandblast the uniframe. i also bought t&m metal fab Comanche unibody stiffeners
w0Mc13Nl.jpg 0hjRDfOl.jpg

Are you going to buy some preformed floor pans or just make them?

i bought preformed pans from classic to current. also making some panels, the rust traveled further up the firewall and into the trans tunnel than i thought 

had to role the comanche outside and put in on the back burner for a couple days while i fix my brothers cherokee, he blew the head gasket and blew up the transfer case.

vC6CSTxb.jpgQrcSmfqb.jpgauR1DE5b.jpg

Holy cow! How'd the t-case blow up like that? I've never seen anything like that.

had to role the comanche outside and put in on the back burner for a couple days while i fix my brothers cherokee, he blew the head gasket and blew up the transfer case.vC6CSTxb.jpgQrcSmfqb.jpgauR1DE5b.jpg

Holy cow! How'd the t-case blow up like that? I've never seen anything like that.

the front driveshaft blew apart going highway speeds and blew the transfer case apart I'm guessing.

had to role the comanche outside and put in on the back burner for a couple days while i fix my brothers cherokee, he blew the head gasket and blew up the transfer case.vC6CSTxb.jpgQrcSmfqb.jpgauR1DE5b.jpg

the front driveshaft blew apart going highway speeds and blew the transfer case apart I'm guessing.
That's just insane. A lot of force to do that.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

some things i forgot to add that i have done within the last couple month rebuild the transfer case with a sye and got front and rear adams 1310 driveshafts, brown dog off road motor mounts and new trans mount, build the jcr rear bumper, got a dirt bound front bumper, and jks rear shackles. 

6dDWLxfl.jpg L031zUQl.jpg JSPZmKLl.jpg

finished the laundry list of things on my brothers Cherokee. head gasket, transfer case, aw4 fluid and filter change, replaced complete cooling system, and adjusted the e brake. i took a trip to the local salvage yard to grab a vacuum hose i broke and they have a mint cherokee, they are waiting for the title so they can sell it, i'm going to try to pick it up if the price is right.

0yUSBTwl.jpg 3f5hMKgl.jpg

it a 97 2 door 5 speed with crank windows and 156k on it. no rust anywhere clean as could be. rolled the Comanche back into the garage to finish the rust repair and weld on the uniframe stiffeners. found one bad spot in the frame near the driver side rear shock mount. going to start making inner rockers tomorrow and hopefully finish the rust repair before the end of February 

vET3zKNl.jpg YEIsOTrl.jpg

built both inner rockers, waiting on por15 to arrive so i can paint the inside of them before i weld them on. made a new piece for the hole in the bed, going to weld that in tomorrow. just have to clean the surrounding metal. 

NZOEW6Wl.jpg J8nFpjkl.png

• 2 weeks later...

finally pushed the jeep outside to weld the inner rockers on,

eMEFoYKl.jpg

the bolts for the bottom seat belt mount are welded on the backside of the inner rocker, i didn't have any bolts the correct size so went to tractor supply to get some for the seat belts and new bolts for the cross member. came back and it snowed. just my luck, thanks new jersey :/

2RO5AwAl.jpg  

• 3 weeks later...

haven't done much to the Comanche except weld in the inner rockers and start the floor. went wheeling with a couple friends today with a group of about 40 jeeps. i rode with my buddy in his tj on 33s. 

Jc0iBfOl.jpg tn90qwUl.jpg 1FuSG8Pl.pngpsPXpb1l.jpg 

made some reinforced cross member brackets to weld on the inside of the frame rail just for some added strength and since a couple of the originals were stripped. welded nuts to the top, ill take pics when i weld them in solid tomorrow. 

GSQfrSml.jpg