found a monster mj

88swampedmj

His angles are off quite a bit at the link ends. Usually, your 1/4 elliptics are one set of links. What he has here is a 6 link suspension. Never seen nor ever even heard of that before. Doesn't mean it won't work though.

Using the cab as a suspension mounting location is a different idea. Hope the sheetmetal is up to the task.

His angles are off quite a bit at the link ends. Usually, your 1/4 elliptics are one set of links. What he has here is a 6 link suspension. Never seen nor ever even heard of that before. Doesn't mean it won't work though.

Not quite.

I've never actually seen a 1/4 elliptical that is like the one you are describing. But I have heard of it. With that setup you're combining the negatives of leaf springs with link suspnesion. Since you're still relying on a spring to locate the axle.

In this setup the leafs are on a shackle at the axle (his it turned over and might need tweaking) and can move around however much they want. The links locate the axle.

Well, I'm certainly no expert at suspensions but the only 1/4 elliptic suspension I've seen used the springs as a link and the other set of links where angled similar to his the locate the axle. I see now that he does have shackles on those springs.

I wonder why he mounts his suspension to the cab sheetmetal when he has what looks like a nice stout crossmember right there.

The driveshaft would need to pass through that x-member.

I think this build has been going on a for a while because he's hit a few brick walls. Just judging by the rust and the state of everything.

If he posts up we could get things sorted out.

I personally thought his link angles where way off, and the fact that he has adjustment at one end and a fixed flex joint at the other.

We have a guy in the club who runs 1/4 ellipticals, and he has his set up so the frame end literally is on a bushing, increasing flex by 10X IIRC he only has the 2 upper links though