Well the bench is out......

Little victory today. Soldered wires in for my turn signal socket. Checked it with power... before... during...and after completed. It’s always baby steps... crawl, walk , run. A little sticker from Vicksburg as well.

4437F27F-D3F9-484F-B850-7AB128B32482.jpeg

image.jpg

On 5/19/2019 at 11:25 PM, 13 Legion said:

8E26BDD9-C0F3-49CA-A41E-8FA5083D0930.jpeg

Cruiser is pretty awesome :D  

but don't sell your own patience short. :L:   I've spoken with plenty of guys who would rather set their truck on fire than slow down and actually diagnose a wiring issue.

Thanks Pete. I owe it to Cruiser, who took his time, and walked me through diagnosing the problem. I hope down the road by being taught that, I’ll be able to help someone else out here! Electrical problems can be very trying, especially when they are intermittent.   

Cleaned the C101 connector. Plan on eventually deleting. As most of you know who have this connector, a cleaning( at least once in the lifetime of the truck) should be performed. 32 years of what I can only describe as tar, is encased inside this connector. Patience..patience... patience. Also resprayed the grille and headlight bezels. 

816FD838-60B7-4BA1-8E6F-5F2DB6C21592.jpeg

8BF5D4CD-640B-45E0-B0B8-BC5BCF78E040.jpeg

12E16053-AD75-4ABE-95C2-1D5C6CC48085.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/30/2016 at 11:25 AM, 13 Legion said:

Hey all! Well a quick little update. Cut/fabed some patch panels for the floor. My initial prototype needed some working on. Got it to my liking and welded in. I than seam sealed top and bottom and covered with a rustoleum primer.

35c222ec9a95db79c322c97222028eb0.jpg

1d52829c658e726e140adc057d7b3ba2.jpg

Nicely done. I am going to have to do this here soon. Can I ask what gauge metal you used?

I want to say it was either 16 or 18 gauge. I grabbed it from some scrap at work. If you go to your local hardware store they should carry these. The thicker the sheet metal is obviously it will be a little tougher to bend/contour. Also don’t forget to seal underneath your work as well. I covered patch area underneath with some rubberized spray for some added protection. Although I did ask a buddy what he had used on his  XJ floor... he laughed. He had used traffic signs! 

After all my drama with DMV or BMV as they call it in Indiana I decided to get my emissions issue looked into. Long story short they’ve lowered the NOX reading a bit but still not enough to pass. Plan B initiated!! I purchased classic/antique insurance which should qualify me to be emissions exempt. This hopefully will satisfy my state requirements as I was instructed by them earlier. This has been a cat and mouse game with me and the state/ police since 2017. As I said earlier I still drive occasionally just around town. Hope to get this thing squared away soon!

F20017B3-AAEF-4CE3-885A-C0AEABE5AA0E.jpeg

I feel your pain about the emission issues. I just recently registered my 86 with classic plates after it has been sitting in my driveway for 5 months. I believe the 2.5L is slowly giving up the ghost after developing a "louder " knock and some tailpipe smoke. No way will it make it through inspection until I get that resolved, which is going to take some time. If you don't need your truck for a DD than the classic tag route can work for you, in some states I guess. Good luck with it.  

3 minutes ago, Nashmanche said:

If you don't need your truck for a DD than the classic tag route can work for you,

Yes. That’s why I’m going this route! I don’t use my Jeep as a DD. I will have up to 1,000 miles a year on my new insurance. I haven’t driven 1000 miles since I’ve owned it. It’s just been an uphill battle. I’m literally trying to give the state money by me legally getting tags...they wanna fight!.....bureaucracy at its finest.

23 minutes ago, 13 Legion said:

I’m literally trying to give the state money by me legally getting tags...they wanna fight!.....bureaucracy at its finest.

Yup, and the first time they catch you driving without them they will be more than happy to take your money then... and never let you forget it about it.

Went to pick up Jeep today from my local shop. They were unable to get my emissions lowered enough to pass. No charge from them and they had it over a week. Plan B was initiated. Classic insurance purchased..... Went to BMV right from shop with new insurance... Plated finally!!!! No more emissions!!!!!!!

8157DF7C-F18A-4246-91BE-C3FA58ACB2A7.jpeg

1 hour ago, 13 Legion said:

Went to pick up Jeep today from my local shop. They were unable to get my emissions lowered enough to pass. No charge from them and they had it over a week. Plan B was initiated. Classic insurance purchased..... Went to BMV right from shop with new insurance... Plated finally!!!! No more emissions!!!!!!!

Emission inspection suck! I had friend who live in Phx Azriona, they have annual emission inspection and he told me if we bring vehicle back for 3rd time failure and they will put ur vehicle as illegal road use it will force u to sell ur vehicle to someone outside of city zone where no emission require. I wonder what is ur emission law?

1 minute ago, MJXJjeepguy said:

Emission inspection suck! I had friend who live in Phx Azriona, they have annual emission inspection and he told me if we bring vehicle back for 3rd time failure and they will put ur vehicle as illegal road use it will force u to sell ur vehicle to someone outside of city zone where no emission require. I wonder what is ur emission law?

What?! I have never heard of them forcing you to sell it. You will be forced to get your vehicle repaired until it is fixed and can not be on the road until it is fixed after the third time but they don’t force you to sell it out of emissions zone. 

26 minutes ago, MJXJjeepguy said:

I wonder what is ur emission law?

You have up to 3 times to get it too pass. You have to produce receipts showing how much money you’ve spent to rectify the problem(get it to pass) If after 3rd time and x amount of money and it still fails you get a one time( life of vehicle) exemption. Good only till next renewal. Then it starts all over, without an exemption. I was tired of spending money every couple years to get a 32 year old truck to pass an emission test where they keep lowering the accepted emission amount. This insurance option was available to me because my truck isn’t used as a DD. I only got a base insurance with allotment to drive up to 1000 miles a year. Just glad to be done with this! Just wondering if I can now remove cat( without issues, mechanical wise) and omit from my exhaust system?  Plan on leaving everything else in place emissions wise.

2 hours ago, eaglescout526 said:

What?! I have never heard of them forcing you to sell it. You will be forced to get your vehicle repaired until it is fixed and can not be on the road until it is fixed after the third time but they don’t force you to sell it out of emissions zone. 

Not from my knowledge, i was told by friend of mine but i never find out for sure maybe one day or asking someone here who live in phx Arizona that know more better, I live in WV so there no emission law anywhere in WV state 

Well today I’m made the trip to my local JY. My hood release cable broke. Luckily when it broke it raised hood. So I wasn’t stuck with another dilemma. Not much pickings left of XJs. I think there were 4 in various stages of being pilfered. I found a 90 and that’s the one I snagged the cable off of. The only thing was they were all stamped hood instead of what I was looking for. I’m going to post in the want ads. Probably was about a half hour job. I’ll post a couple pics as well as what was at the local junkyard here. Next up is troubleshoot my speedo cable. It’s intermittent but it has been working now for well over a few years, with the occasional bouncing. Now it stopped all together.8163D300-4086-4E55-9B64-AB6D016320C8.jpeg.de37660796586dfe0c4864cd2daa06c3.jpegB4AD1217-3466-4E35-B2E7-3365B19B9343.jpeg.85a5abfe87b4dcd5ea114eb793a202a8.jpegD7B9025F-C35B-488E-B888-0B3F77229D1C.jpeg.0db1ae014efe18f99e8d47ba2b9e58fb.jpeg

4ACAB893-5CA3-4C07-A3D1-DB67A926D988.jpeg

831A721D-28D1-49C3-9C15-D93373CE38BB.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Little update. Trying to diagnose a lifter tick. Removed valve cover, took out rocker arms, and pulled lifters out. One lifter looked pretty sketchy. Looks to be clogged. Swapping them all out though. Gonna soak the rockers, bridge and pushrods in some parts cleaner overnight. Already have new lifters soaking in oil.

A5B9746C-6281-4911-96C0-D0E422C67C81.jpeg

338755A3-BE8B-49C1-A991-7EE1A1955503.jpeg

219D4703-190A-41F6-8A45-AC96D648B31A.jpeg

F860FEBF-FCED-4238-B51F-4E809FE8ECDE.jpeg