Different hubs?

I'm trying to get a hub assembly for my 89. The local parts store gave me one but it catches on the rotor. I did a search on this but I am still confused. I gave napa all the correct information. They pulled a hub and a rotor for me and I tried putting them together on the counter and they wouldn't go. Also about a year ago I installed one on the passenger side and both of the part numbers are the same. I hope someone can explain this to me. Thanks!

From my unpublished manuscript:

In general, the parts to be concerned with in keeping the front brakes compatible are the steering knuckles, the hub/bearing assemblies, the rotors, and the calipers. (There is a more complete enumeration of the interrelationship of these parts in Chapter 6, Axles.)

• Only two steering knuckle designs were used: 1984 through 1989, and 1990 through 2001. Left and right side knuckles are different part numbers within each group.

• Three different hub/bearing units were used. The hub/bearing units are the same for both sides of the vehicle. The different years for hub/bearing assemblies were: 1984 through 1989; 1990 through mid-1999 (composite rotors); and late-1999 through 2001 (cast rotors).

• Three rotor types were used: 1984 through 1989; 1990 through mid-1999 (composite); and late-1999 through 2001 (cast).

• Only two caliper types were used: 1984 through 1989, and 1990 through 2001. Left and right side calipers are different part numbers within each group.

The above is copyrighted and I am NOT granting permission to anyone to post it or disseminate it.

From my unpublished manuscript:

In general, the parts to be concerned with in keeping the front brakes compatible are the steering knuckles, the hub/bearing assemblies, the rotors, and the calipers. (There is a more complete enumeration of the interrelationship of these parts in Chapter 6, Axles.)

• Only two steering knuckle designs were used: 1984 through 1989, and 1990 through 2001. Left and right side knuckles are different part numbers within each group.

• Three different hub/bearing units were used. The hub/bearing units are the same for both sides of the vehicle. The different years for hub/bearing assemblies were: 1984 through 1989; 1990 through mid-1999 (composite rotors); and late-1999 through 2001 (cast rotors).

• Three rotor types were used: 1984 through 1989; 1990 through mid-1999 (composite); and late-1999 through 2001 (cast).

• Only two caliper types were used: 1984 through 1989, and 1990 through 2001. Left and right side calipers are different part numbers within each group.

The above is copyrighted and I am NOT granting permission to anyone to post it or disseminate it.

So why am I not getting the correct part when I tell napa that it is an 89 4wd?

Are you the original owner? How certain are you that the front axle is the original?

A few years ago I bought a pretty decent-looking 2001 XJ, used. It was all stock -- no lift, no big tires, no aftermarket wheels. It had 83,000 miles on it when I bought it.

Started working on fixing up things it needed (like shocks and tie rod ends). Got underneath and found yellow grease crayon numbers on the front axle. Yep -- junkyard replacement. Most people (and many shops) aren't aware that the whole brake/hub setup changed from 1989 to 1990, so they'll toss any axle they can get under a vehicle that needs an axle.

Eagle, no I am not the original owner so I will have to look at the front axle again. It still doesnt make sense to me that an 89 hub and rotor won't fit when I had napa and o'reillys pull both, and put together on the counter.

I was also looking on rockauto. Some of their hubs under 89 say they are generation 1, 2, or 3. What does this mean?

The 89 earlier hub will bolt to the knuckle, still uses the same 3 bolt pattern and pilot diameter.

What he is saying, is the bearing hub he was given, will not fit inside the rotor he was given. Not a knuckle or even an axle mismatch problem.

Sounds like they have a cross reference problem.

They going back a year or even two, as I find most parts stores have issues when you get into crossover years.

They probably have the Chrysler rotor spec'd for 89 or something along those lines.

Gen 1 - 84-89

Gen 2 - 90-99.5

Gen 3 - 99.5-06

You have to take parts listing's with a slight grain of salt.

Eagle's got the all the info you need in one place.

Try a hub/rotor listed for an 88 or even an 87, I've had to do that with some interior parts for the 88 MJ when they give me obvious 91+ parts that are nothing like what I have sitting in front of them.

Since it is specific to the knuckle, you may have a replaced knuckle... They can break in even a minor accident. Try the newer one.

If he had a replaced knuckle it would be blatant, the later Chrysler knuckles are completely different when it come to the brakes. They use a replaceable caliper bracket as opposed to the integral brackets of the 90-06 D30 knuckles

I misread the OP.

As Rockfrog says, try an earlier year. Or just get them to tell you what they have it listed as covering (if they aren't dorks). They likely have it in their computer wrong. Or their Chicom supplier is not building them to spec, in which case try another brand.

I don't know what to think at this point. I will have to double check the axle and try earlier parts years.

The hubs on rockauto are the only ones Ive seen listed with 3 generations. Maybe I will have to try there.

I was also looking on rockauto. Some of their hubs under 89 say they are generation 1, 2, or 3. What does this mean?

See the second bullet in my post above. '89 should be generation 1 -- IF it's still an '89 axle.

Sounds like using RA for this could be more problematic, if not the correct part, returns...suggest face to face purchase.

Thats what I am thinking too. But Ive been to almost every parts store in town.

Well, I found out that it IS the original axle. I even took both rotors off just to make sure I wasn't missing something and they are the same. I have tried napa, oreilly, autozone, and advance auto. All of their hubs will not fit inside their rotors. I also made a stop at the dealer and spoke with the service and parts manager. The parts manager said he couldnt even get me a hub. The service manager said "just grind it off with an angle grinder". Napa gave me their manufactures phone number so I will give them a call on monday. Any other thoughts/ideas?

Well, I found out that it IS the original axle. I even took both rotors off just to make sure I wasn't missing something and they are the same. I have tried napa, oreilly, autozone, and advance auto. All of their hubs will not fit inside their rotors. I also made a stop at the dealer and spoke with the service and parts manager. The parts manager said he couldnt even get me a hub. The service manager said "just grind it off with an angle grinder". Napa gave me their manufactures phone number so I will give them a call on monday. Any other thoughts/ideas?

Which is different? Did you take one of your rotors to NAPA to see if it will fit over their hubs?

What do you mean by "their hubs will not fit inside their rotors"? My understanding has been that the differences are in the depth, or offset -- not the diameter. Somewhere I remember seeing a photo of two XJ hubs sitting on a table or a board, flange side down, and the difference in overall height was about a quarter of an inch or more.. I've never heard of a difference in diameter.

What's the outside diameter of your hubs?

For what it's worth, Quadratec shows three hubs:

84-89 == 53000228

99-99 (w/ 2-piece stamped rotor) == 53007449

99-01 (1-piece cast rotor) == 53007449AC

As a last resort, the 84-89 hubs are rebuildable. Quadratec used to see the bearings and seals as a kit -- I don't see it on their web site, but they may still have it.

Which is different? Did you take one of your rotors to NAPA to see if it will fit over their hubs?

What do you mean by "their hubs will not fit inside their rotors"? My understanding has been that the differences are in the depth, or offset -- not the diameter. Somewhere I remember seeing a photo of two XJ hubs sitting on a table or a board, flange side down, and the difference in overall height was about a quarter of an inch or more.. I've never heard of a difference in diameter.

What's the outside diameter of your hubs?

No my rotor will not fit over their hub. The hub is catching on the flange, on the 3 mounting bolt holes. Not sure I can measure the diameter of this though.

A few days ago I had advance order in a moog bearing. Had my doubts and went in to take a look at it today. It was the correct one. Part number 513107. Still not sure why any of the previous parts I tried didn't work. Might still give the manufacturer a call just to see what is going on. So I guess the moral of the story is to try all the brands. Thank you everyone for helping me be more informed on the axles and brakes!  . :MJ 1: .

I'm glad someone was finally able to get you the right part.

I'm a bit surprised about NAPA, though. I thought NAPA bearings and such were made by Moog.

Napa bearings/hubs are made by Rayloc