POR-15???

Need some info on POR-15. Is it to stop rust, a patch system that will keep the rust area from growing or a patch system to cover the rust until the hole getts larger? Got the carpet out of the XJ and the floor looks bad. several areas that will need new steel and a lot that should be cut out and replaced unless POR-15 is the answer.

Need some info on POR-15. Is it to stop rust, a patch system that will keep the rust area from growing or a patch system to cover the rust until the hole getts larger? Got the carpet out of the XJ and the floor looks bad. several areas that will need new steel and a lot that should be cut out and replaced unless POR-15 is the answer.

Por-15 is a protective coating that you can paint over rust. Once it's is coated it will more or less stop the rust from spreading or causing more damage, I believe it more or less "seals it in". I have used it on my Comanche so far to make the bed cap and plan to use it on my XJs floorpans. Por-15 is the answer after you get the new sheetmetal in so you don't get rust again, but you still need the new metal.

Here's my bedcap, the stuff looks great and is damn near bombproof if you prep it right.

it uses surface rust to make it adhear to the metal. it will pull the oxidation off of you metal and seal it completely thus not allowing air to get to it any more. thats the little i know about it

you will definaletly need new metal though otherwise the paint will just leak through and you will get more water damage inside

good luck. the stuff works awesome

POR15 isn't bad stuff.

The real trick though, in my opinion, is prepping the metal/rust correctly.

I can't speak highly enough of POR15's Marine Clean.

The Marine clean works just great!

I purchased Marine clean, Metal ready and POR 15.

I suggest using the three step process, Marine clean, Metal ready and then POR15.

I also found some stuff at the Auto parts store, called the RIGHT STUFF,

it's cheaper then the Metal ready and is virtualy the same thing.

Using a metal prep like Metal reay or Right stuff realy makes the por15 adhear well.

Obviously follow the instructions and wire brush wire wheel etc before you apply anything.

yup just paint right over it and it will be fine. the metal ready is ok, but isnt the best, your better off wire wheelin it then blowin it off and then using the metal prep. after it flash rusts then you put on the por 15. just remember wear gloves cuz it don't like to come off your skin!

• 1 month later...
I am putting new fenders on my MJ, do I just need to clean it and por 15 it, or do I still need to use the metal ready?
Brand new fenders should be primed and ready for paint. I don't know where they sell bare steel fenders. POR15 will only work on the bare metal, it's not something you apply over paint, you usually paint over the POR15.