building a longarm kit

I went with the radius arm idea (using factory ford stuff) because I have no real intention of climbing many rocks. :D The track bar is what holds the axle side to side. Build it extra beefy. All I really have to say is: overbuild, overbuild, and overbuild. If you use bolts, weld it too. If you use welds, bolt it too. I recommend welding sleeves into the frame where you are putting the bolts. If you plan on driving it a lot on the roads, double check that a home-brew suspension is legal in your state (it's not legal here in Michigan). You could be really REALLY screwed if an accident occurs.

I was looking at making a tranny crossmember and longarm lower mount all in one piece. i'm talkin heavy duty. then removing the stock LCA mounts and reinforcing that spot of the frame.
For a little inspiration, check these pictures. They are what my buddy is building for his girlfriend's Chevy Tracker, and it will be her DD.

HERE!

It's overkill, for sure, but I doubt her tracker will go snap anytime soon.

I was looking at making a tranny crossmember and longarm lower mount all in one piece. i'm talkin heavy duty. then removing the stock LCA mounts and reinforcing that spot of the frame.
For a little inspiration, check these pictures. They are what my buddy is building for his girlfriend's Chevy Tracker, and it will be her DD.

HERE!

ya think? wow man, all that for a DD????and for your wife nonetheless?

HERE!

That's Kraqa's girl's rig. Kelsey, IIRC. I think she's a crazier driver than he is.

I too am looking to go longarm, I will go with the TNT, or maybe the Rusty's. Rusty has done some improvments from his original design. For the extra couple bucks, I like the TNT better, it comes with a nice crossmember skid set up. For me, its not worth the hassel to build one, I can just buy a tnt and be done. For the tnt longarm upgrade its just over 800 bucks. Unless you plan on hardcore wheeling it, either of these systems will work fine, plus they are bolt in. For hardcore, I would go with claytons set up, its a weld in unit.

any links to the TNT one?

If I can buy the longarm kit for $800 or so, some 6.5" front springs for $100 or so, and a trackbar for $150 or so, i'm good. shocks don't matter, I will be spending a bit on them. I just want the lift kit to be under $1100 and i don't want to buy a kit that has parts I don't need (sway-bar links, brake lines, rear components, prop.valve extension etc.) because I am going to use other parts for the rear and such.

I guess I need to build a kit that looks like it's a kit on the market, or buy one, so that it's "streetable"

be mindful that the TNT kit is not a direct bolt on to the MJ, you have to notch one of the cab supports to make it fit.

I'm sure if you called TNT they'd be able to tell you.

silly station wagons didn't have all the extra steel we've got ;)

the pictures that I have seen show them notching out one of the cab supports so they can slip the TNT piece behind it.

I don't think cutting the TNT piece is an option, since it's one of the brackets that bolts the crossmember in place.

ok.

i talked to them, nice guys. gonna buy it on credit (yay got a credit card now...best make use of it ;) as long as i'm responsible about payments) and this sucker will be taking shape in the next few weeks.

btw, for those reading this thread, I will still be doint trial-and-error longarms on tatersalad, as I really do want to build my own in the future.

buyin the TNT kit is the street legal route....

thanks. I decided the liability was too great.

the $200 xj I got is....salvagable??? as a truggy setup. so I'm gonna practice my longarm building skills on it, as tatersalad HAS to go. (according to my mother).

anyways, talking with TNT right now as what they have is a y-arm setup or something like that???

Tryin to get them to tell me the exact price and limit it to just the arms, mounts, coil springs, and trackbar, as I don't need the rest of it and don't want to spend @2k on it.

anyone know the EXACT link to their longarm product????