aquariums?

JeepcoMJ

Anyone here keep aquariums? my other hobby besides jeeps is marine fish. it takes a back seat but is easily as expensive as lifting a comanche ($1500 invested in the past 2 years)

right now i'm looking at getting a snowflake moray eel to put in a 70 gallon tank.

at the moment I have a 40 gallon with 2 clownfish, a blue chromis, black yellow-tailed chromis, mandarin goby, 2 pajama cardinals, a sixline wrasse, a skunk cleaner shrimp, pincushion urhcin, a brittle star and serpent star, long-spne urchin, 3 turbo snails, a bunch of hermit crabs, and my very first coral, a "sea tongue". I tried anemones but they're touchy, and I don't have the time to devote to maintaining 100% stable calcium levels.

filtration is a 20 gallon refugium powered by two small penguin powerheads and a prizm protien skimmer. then on the back of the tank is an emperor 400 biowheel filter that is used simply for recirculation (no filter pads)

anyways, just wondering if anyone was into the hobby?

I had a pair of 110 gallon fresh water aquariums, but we were expecting another kid so we sold my bungalow house on a concrete slab. Our house now is a 2-story vertical built in the early 20th century. (only 30 foot at the front, but it is 1900 sq. ft.). I couldn't justify doing all the bracing to the floor to keep the aquariums from going through the floor.

i like marine fish, but very expensive.

we had a 33 gal. with a flame angel, yellow tang, sixline, a couple clowns. and a few other fish. had a few corals. some guy at a pet store told us to add this stuff to the tank to kill something, and instead it killed all the fish in 2 hours exept the 2 clowns.

so know i have my 1 clown in a 6 gallon tank by him lonesome with a couple hermit crabs and snails.

but i am eventually gonna get a larger tank again when i move, and then add more fish.

i like marine fish, but very expensive.

we had a 33 gal. with a flame angel, yellow tang, sixline, a couple clowns. and a few other fish. had a few corals. some guy at a pet store told us to add this stuff to the tank to kill something, and instead it killed all the fish in 2 hours exept the 2 clowns.

so know i have my 1 clown in a 6 gallon tank by him lonesome with a couple hermit crabs and snails.

but i am eventually gonna get a larger tank again when i move, and then add more fish.

yea, with saltwater the best thing to do to fix things is to do water changes.

was the "killing something" a pistol or mantis shrimp? those are flat nasty...they have the punch of a .22 cal bullet and can shadder glass as thick as 3/8 inch with no problem.

i had a mantis once...found where it was, yanked the rock it was in, and let it dry out until the sucker squirmed out of it....dropped it in the flusher and byebye bastard. it ate some of my fish :(

I have a 70 gallon reef system that's morphed many times in the 20 years I've had it. The reef / saltwater thing got a lot harder to do when I moved away from the coast. Nothing like free saltwater to keep the maintenence cost down.

I used to be into them.. I had some Oscars and Jack dempseys.. nasty lil bastards... especially if all you feed them is live :brows:

had my fair share of cichlids too. when I got rid of the oscar he was 11" from head to tail, my jack dempsey was 7", and I had a mated pair of firemouths in a 40 gallon breeder that i got $300 for. they were some strange firemouth that's fairly rare and were very pretty.

every one of them suckers was mean, but the oscar would let me pet him and he'd do tricks for me.

I have kind of a unique opportunity with job related (Game Warden) situations. I often have to store evidence critters until a case clears, which means in my personal tank. Piranhas, snakeheads, african clawed frogs, and a lot of tame but interesting things get to temporarily live in my tank. My house gets pretty popular with the neighborhood kids when I have a tank full of nasties.

I share a similar love, although both of my tanks are freshwater..

I have a sychlid tank, 30 gallon... LOVE IT!!

And another 30 gal with a turtle I bought about 7 years ago in it and a bottom feeder... floating log.. yada yada

I have kind of a unique opportunity with job related (Game Warden) situations. I often have to store evidence critters until a case clears, which means in my personal tank. Piranhas, snakeheads, african clawed frogs, and a lot of tame but interesting things get to temporarily live in my tank. My house gets pretty popular with the neighborhood kids when I have a tank full of nasties.

How do tame creatures survive with your fish? Theyre typically pretty aggressive/territorial...

I share a similar love, although both of my tanks are freshwater..

I have a sychlid tank, 30 gallon... LOVE IT!!

And another 30 gal with a turtle I bought about 7 years ago in it and a bottom feeder... floating log.. yada yada

cichlid :D

I was a cichlid fanatic at one point, that tank is now my saltwater tank...i got 25% of what all my fish were worth, then had no fish for a few months while the tank cured...then only a couple.

after 1 year of having the tank, I can just now start gettin into it...yay saltwater!

Got a 30 gal freshie here with an overhead filter/light. Nothing all that interesting these days just 3 silver colored tetras (although the old one is about twice the size he's supposed to be), a red tailed shark, algae eater, one regular catfish and an upsidedown catfish (who hides all the time in the tall stump you see in the pic). I've been meaning to buy a couple more. Maybe another catfish or something that grows a bit bigger than 4". My dream tank (when I get a place of my own to put it in) will be about 150 gal and will contain at least one small mouth bass .jamminz.gif

Haven't snapped a photo in a while, but here it is not long after I got it many-a-year ago. I like to make it look like a slice right out of a local pond. :D

You have to be careful about what you put in the water. With only 30 gallons, certain metals and other items can become toxic when they wouldn't have any effect in a 2 acre lake. Copper, coins, rusty steel, etc need to be avoided. Anything that can harm the fish needs to be avoided. The can is long gone and I replaced it with a couple of wine bottle pieces (with the sharp edges firmly planted into the gravel). I figure glass is perfectly harmless. These days I use the tank to show off some of the cool rocks I pick up on camping/hiking trips. :D If you haven't seen an upsidedown catfish, they are neat. As the name implies, they swim around upside down. It's an adaptation from the Amazon river where they eat stuff off the bottom of leaves hanging in the water.

pete, nice tank, and thanks for elaborating on the metals...i was gonna say byebye fishies.

if ya put copper in a saltwater aquarium, even in a small amount, ALL invertebrates will die, your vert. life will suffer, and all of your live rock is now junk. ya can't wash the copper out of the rock once it's in. that gets expensive when a cheap saltwater fish is $30, inverts maybe $20 for something not too extravagent, and liverock at $10 per POUND.

no metals in tanks...not a good idea, don't do it.

we used to have a 75 gallon freshwater tank, but we make a big mistake when we had a noobie at the pet store tell us they had a snakehead that was on sale, well we didn't know anything about those so we bought it cause it looked cool and was cheap. well we brought it home put it in the tank after acclamting it to the water, and the dam thing took off after every other fish we had in there and ate every dam one :eek: , so we started getting feeder fish for it and it grew to around 2 feet or so and we decided that was enough, and traded it for a big orange & black oscar which was a little more calmer :D

I had a snake for a while after I got rid of the fishs.. that was fun too

I thought that you were the one that was deathly scared of snakes?

Not me... Golliath was 6' long when I gave him away. He was a columbian red tail boa183745682vifNHb_th.jpg