So I took my gauge cluster out because I wanted to change out my dummy lights cluster for one that has the vitals, and after realizing that the one I had wasn't compatible, I went to put mine back on. After putting my truck back on the road and started to test drive it, I realized my shifter indicator was not showing any signs of life, so I went on to see what was going on. So to all MJ owners with an automatic transmission on your MJs with a column shifter, be extremely careful when removing your old cluster, because when I removed mine I tore the shifter indicator cable. So just be sure to detach it from the steering column before you even try to yank it out of it's place. Anyways, here are some pics: 

Here you can see where the super small cable goes through the gauge cluster in order to attach to the steering column, if you already know your's is torn, and want to take a peek behind your gas gauge to see what's going on, please save yourself a headache and take a picture of where your gas gauge sits at before pulling the needle out, because if not you'll be guessing where you had it and have an inaccurate gas reading and be stranded in the middle of nowhere thinking you have 3/ of a tank still.. Ask me how I know.. I still have not repaired mine, since the day I took it all apart I ran out of time, but as soon as I do I'll post it on this topic.

Anyways, I hope this was of help to all my fellow  Automatic Transmission with a Steering Column shifter MJ owners out there!

PS: Also if anyone knows where I could get a shifter knob that fits the rod on the column I would greatly appreciate it! 

Yep oh well.. on another note, I hate reading your signature, because I know there is a small patch of rust right under my feet but still don't feel comfortable enough to take my carpet out and repair it.. but the time will come and I will thank you haha 

Yep, I did that too when I took mine out the last time. I wasn't too torn up about it since I was actually planning to swap in a full cluster (breaking the indicator just forced my hand). Still sucks to accidentally break such a rare part though.

• 4 years later...