New Toy and it dont have wheels

JOMJ87

So i just got back and i had soem extra dough so i decided to fill a long awaited dream. I have wanted a .22 pistol for Small game like squirrels and such and also for range and plinkin. Soooo i got a Browning Buck Mark hunter with a 7 1/4 barrel. I had decided on a ruger MK III 22/45 but when i picked this gun up It felt better then all others. I had been looking for about a year now and i have concidered a S&W 22A and about every ruger and also prob my next buy will be a Walther P22 with a 5.5 barrel. I am headed to the range Tues to see how it does. PICS BELOW

Cole

The Browning Buckmark's are good solid guns for the money, you made a good choice!!

I had a Medalist a while back. Loved the gun, hated the price of mags!!! (Hard to find and about $75ea USED) I shoot in bullseye competition so I need 6 mags for a course of fire.

Image Not Found

I just picked up a new one myself (Used)....... Walther OSP, 22short.

Image Not Found

CW

That is a nice gun. I am wanting one of the P22s with the 5.5 barrel and then I'm going to get a 3.4 to carry for CCW. I know its only a .22 but if you hear a bang a then feel metal enter your body then i think you might stop no matter how big the caliber is. Plus 10 shots center mass would stop you if you didnt feel the first few. 8) I am excited to go shoot tomm. I just wish our range was open more then 4 hours and 3 days a week and weekends. :roll: I love the gun you have CW i bet it drives tacs.

Cole

Yes it shoots very well to say the least. You know its impossible to "buy" a good score, its still the person behind the gun that determins that outcome.

Good luck today, I know you will have a good time. ;)

BTW,

I had one of those Walther P22's for a short time. I bought it for my wife as my hands a much too big for its tiny grip. I bought it with both barrels and got rid of it in very short order. It was miserably inaccurate. About 5-6" at 25 was the very best it would do. I carry one of two guns. A J frame smith 638 in 38spl. or a Colt Commander .45acp. I use two mostly for seasonal reasons and consealment. Here is CT you must be completely consealed. The 45 is large and usually reserved for winter carry. The J-frame will easily slip into a front pocket or ankle rig.

CW

That is a nice gun. I am wanting one of the P22s with the 5.5 barrel and then I'm going to get a 3.4 to carry for CCW. I know its only a .22 but if you hear a bang a then feel metal enter your body then i think you might stop no matter how big the caliber is. Plus 10 shots center mass would stop you if you didnt feel the first few. 8)

Wrong. VERY wrong.

I'm not at all opposed to CCW. In fact, I think in today's world it's a wise and almost necessary precaution. But DO NOT THINK that a .22 would even slow down a bad guy, especially if he's high on drugs. Most police departments that went to 9mm for their duty weapons a few years ago have now gone back to .45 or switched to .40 S&W because the 9mm doesn't have enough stopping power to quickly stop assailants. There are innumerable cases of bad guys who have absorbed multiple hits with .45 ACP and still kept on fighting.

I can almost guarantee that 10 shots of .22 will not stop an attacker. Plus, you probably won't get off ten shots anyway. Most self-defense shooting take place at a distance of less than 10 feet. A number of years ago a Utah police lieutenant ran some experiments with his officers, and found that a knife-wielding assailant could cover 21 feet in 1.5 seconds -- which was the time it took a uniformed patrol officer to draw his weapon and fire ONE shot. You won't be drawing from an exposed holster, so you won't get the first shot off in 1.5 seconds. And if you need to shoot, most likely your assailant won't be 21 feet or more away.

Don't kid yourself. .22s are great for plinking and target shooting, but they are worse than useless for self-defense. I say "worse" because if you don't have a gun you know you have to escape. If you think the .22 gives you a chance to fight rather than escape, that's worse than having nothing because it could cost you your life.

I agree eagle.

the only thing I use my 22 for is shooting birds. a 22 slug isn't enough to do much in the short term...and in a gunfight you're concerned about short term. you want to stop the guy NOW not hurt him so he drops later

Your are correct Eagle. After reading your post i agree with everything you say. The only reason i think what i previously posted is because Of actual test shots into human dummy's. I read a report that a .22 will do more damage then a 9mm because of its ricochet factor once it enters the body. A .22 will bounce off bones and such and shred the inside of a person. They also showed the affect on a skull and it destroyed the fake brain they used because once it went in it didnt exit it just danced around. But yes you are correct about using it a CCW gun in that you would just make some guy that is doped up more angry with you. Thanks for the input i will take it to heart. :cheers:

comanche-man22- It wasnt to bad it was a little higher then others but i got it NIB for $335. Most Rugers/Browning i had looked at were higher then this and not as comfortable in my hand. I love it but after shooting today i will no longer buy Federal ammo bulk packs i had 9 Fail to Eject. :eek:

Cole

If your buying bulk (Milk carton pkg stuff) at Kmart/Wallmart you will find this problem with most ALL brands!!!

STAY AWAY!!!!

Some time back, I had a friend completely fill a barrel with lead, shooting that crap!!! It took some "inventive" measures to get the lead out of his barrel. I won't say how I did it... but ol' timers know the trick the stuff is no longer avalible. The stuff is named after the first planet on our solar system..... :eek: ;)

Luckly I have a small supply to keep my compensator's clean.

SO...How did she shoot????

CW

Well it shot well When the bullet sounded like i feel it should but there were so many that cracked real loud and got slung way off. I think with good ammo i can get some good groups. I am shooting again thurs up at my Dads in NC so ill really test it out then. Ill post some targets if they are worth it.

Cole

The only reason i think what i previously posted is because Of actual test shots into human dummy's. I read a report that a .22 will do more damage then a 9mm because of its ricochet factor once it enters the body. A .22 will bounce off bones and such and shred the inside of a person. They also showed the affect on a skull and it destroyed the fake brain they used because once it went in it didnt exit it just danced around.

You'd better find some other reports to read. Unless this was talking about AR-15 ammo (.223/5.56mm), it's totally off base. Whoever wrote that must have been dining on some VERY powerful mushrooms. In fact, unless you hit just right there's an excellent chance that a .22 to the head will bounce right off rather than penetrate the skull.

Unless it's all you've got and all you CAN get, don't even think of a .22 plinking pistol as a self-defense "weapon." It ain't.

it's a NICE gun. I like it.

and i don't think you're using that as self-defense.

BUT I'd throw rocks first. big ones. or grab a beer bottle and beat the base of it on the guys nose...then get arrested for murder in self-defense...

The only reason i think what i previously posted is because Of actual test shots into human dummy's. I read a report that a .22 will do more damage then a 9mm because of its ricochet factor once it enters the body. A .22 will bounce off bones and such and shred the inside of a person. They also showed the affect on a skull and it destroyed the fake brain they used because once it went in it didnt exit it just danced around.

You'd better find some other reports to read. Unless this was talking about AR-15 ammo (.223/5.56mm), it's totally off base. Whoever wrote that must have been dining on some VERY powerful mushrooms. In fact, unless you hit just right there's an excellent chance that a .22 to the head will bounce right off rather than penetrate the skull.

Unless it's all you've got and all you CAN get, don't even think of a .22 plinking pistol as a self-defense "weapon." It ain't.

colt 45. jamminz.gif my ex-stepdad had one, thing would kick! now THATS a weapon.

colt 45. jamminz.gif my ex-stepdad had one, thing would kick! now THATS a weapon.

Good start.

Now, for a REAL self-defense weapon ...

The "50 caliber 45" ... Guncrafters Industries 50GI. It's a 1911 pistol custom manufactured to shoot .50 caliber ammo instead of that sissy .45 caliber stuff. (No, it isn't mine ... but I did get to test it. It is about the sweetest pistol I have ever seen.)

Thats unreal... :eek: ... I would love to have that one Eagle. I think i am going to start looking at a S&W 357 that a guy i know has up for sale. I don't know if i am going to go for it now or not but it can't hurt to think about it.

Cole

I think that this pile is likely going to be my knockaround gun.

http://www.hi-pointfirearms.com/handgun ... p?Gun=40SW

Yes I know it's heavy, but I've fired a few, they are relatively accurate (I shot a 6" group at 20 paces), and it's reliable.

that and I wouldn't cry if I dropped it in the mud while camping, like I would a $500 pistol.

they go on sale at the local hunting place about every two months, I can pick up that 40 for about $129, with 2 mags.

'scuse me, but why do you need a pistol for camping? actually, when in any real-life situation are you going to use a pistol except for self-defense (as unlikely as that is)

It depends on where you camp. Out west, there's always a chance of a bear wandering into your camp. Of course, guns are illegal in national parks, but they generally ARE legal if you camp in national forests.

And in recent years there have been more and more two-legged predator attacks on campers ...

'scuse me, but why do you need a pistol for camping? actually, when in any real-life situation are you going to use a pistol except for self-defense (as unlikely as that is)

Most people who cannot shoot a pistol very well have this opinion. :roll:

Its kinda like the GREAT line at the end of Quigly down under, after he killed the bad guy..."I said I never have much use for a hand gun, never said I didn't know how to use it."

I have shot many a critters with my pistols. Ranging from ground squirrels to deer and even a black bear.

CW

I shoot just fine, but I'm a bow person myself. even can use a sling very accurately. Pistols are cool and I'm a pistol person when it comes to paintballing (people don't get why I ONLY shoot them in the groin...yay limited ammo). my full auto paintball gun is mactually my "secondary" weapon of choice in paintball wars.

my other passion is sniping...whether paintball or my dad's deer rifle. honestly, i'm no expert at what guns are what, but I can shoot and I can tune a site so i'm good.

To you younger folks that have yet to find your path in life: Consider a job that gives you toys (like the ones mentioned and more) then pays you to go out and play with them. :banana: I've been a California Game Warden for many years and I still can't believe I'm paid to do what I do. Yeah, there is the part that makes it "work", but the rewards (and the toys) more than make up for it.