Ax15 vs nv3550 ? Pro's and Cons ?

I recently purchased an external slave ax15 with 231 tcase out of a yj for a swap from a 2wd ba10 to convert my 89 mj to 4wd . Of course now I found a nv3550 and tcase with 89 k miles on it for $500 out of an 02 Tj . What are the advantages / disadvantages of each trans ? I know that on both the tcase will have to be clocked to fit the mj . I've done some reading but can't seem to find much info putting the nv3550 in a mj . Thanks in advance .

I've got a 00 TJ AX-15 in my 88 and I feel the extra clocking is a good thing.  :D  more ground clearance!  I have a custom crossmember though.  whatever you do, don't use a peugeot or aw4 crossmember.  either go custom or find an AX-15 one.  The AX-15 has a drop in the center of it that lowers the trans a bit.

for me it was the linkage that needed some customization, but I think if you get stock MJ stuff it'll work fine. 

it's close, but doesn't touch.  :thumbsup:  but as I said, I have a custom crossmember (though it is a high ground clearance crossmember which in theory works against me).  My inclination is to think that some people aren't using the AX-15 crossmember and the other ones would raise it up an inch or 2, but don't have proof on that yet.  maybe someone else that has done the wrangler swap can comment.

I have a 2000 XJ with the 3550, and I have an AX-15 in one of the '88 MJs. There is no comparison. First, the 3550 has a deeper first gear, so if you go off-road that helps your crawl ratio. The 3550 is MUCH smoother shifting, and it's quieter when driving.

If you can get it for $500 -- go for it.

Didn't JP Mag do this swap (3550) on an MJ? Think I only saw the first part, think second part was going to show how to deal with the electronic speedo drive?

They did a NSG 370 6-speed. Little less robust then the ax15 or nv3550 but pegs the cool factor meter.

The 3550 is MUCH smoother shifting, and it's quieter when driving.

I completely agree with you, Eagle. The 3550 in my TJ provides a much more pleasant driving experience over the previous AX15 vehicles I have had. At 130K miles mine still shifts like butter.

The 3550 will sometimes have a slight rattle, like soft marbles rolling around, when the vehicle is idling in neutral.