The Pirate Baboon

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 weeks later...

Had a well enough time in Appleton, MN today. It's a pretty small park and it's not overly technical. Lots of tight trails though. There's an OHV side and a main side that the OHV, ATV, and motorcycle trails overlap with each other. That's all fine but it's when people go down the OHV in the wrong direction that takes the fun out of things. I took point going down a trail and this guy with his couple kids come barreling down the trail in front of us and then he's staring me down like I'm the idiot... geez! It was us and my friend in the silver XJ along with another guy who just happened to be there when we were heading into the park.

The guy in the red TJ was struggling to get up some log steps towards the end of the day. I was spotting him thinking of better lines that he could've been taking. I had the tube doors on all day but I had to run the steps. Did it in "street mode" with the doors on, but just walked right up. Not overly difficult, but still some good steps that needed a bit of a bump of the throttle to get it done.

• 2 weeks later...

Here we go again, folks! The season is winding down but I've got at least one more trip planned for the year. October 2-4th we're bound for Dresser, WI. After the first trip, there was a laundry list of things to fix. The second was slightly less. Last trip needed nothing. What to do now?... maintenance that's been pushed aside in favor of trail upgrades. The headlights on this thing are just about on par with a couple of birthday candles. The wiring to them looks okay, but a Putco harness is on the to-do list. While looking into that, the battery cables and grounds were freshened up significantly. New headlights also made the list this time... more so because I dropped one and I couldn't stand to just replace one. The results were great!

Before...

After...

Then I got thinking about backing up in the dark and how great it was having the additional light on the roll bar of my Eliminator. That found a new home since it got the boot from the truck, and the remaining four lights also found a new home... since I was there, anyhow.

Not a huge fan of them but we'll see how long it takes to knock one of them off. Until then, I'll enjoy the added light for the next time I roll into camp way late after a catastrophic failure.  :D

• 2 weeks later...

Yet another struggle of a wheelin' weekend! The Ape? Well, the Ape did just fine... stuck a few times that ended up needing some help to get out, but nothing to fix afterwards anyhow. The issues came from a few unfortunate events of others on the trail, and a bunch from a member of our group. Everything started off great though! I've never been to Dresser, WI before and I'm very happy that we did. It's so different from the park up at Gilbert that I'm used to! Up there it's rocks and individual trails bound together by a series of core trails. In Dresser, you've got the options of four trails that three of which start and finish in the exact same spot. There are tons of obstacles along the way, but there's a bypass for each one. If you wanted to make it really easy on yourself, you could consider it a nice drive through the woods. It's very interesting to see the variety of vehicles too. Anything from stock (albeit beat to hell) XJs and ZJs all the way up to rock bouncers and other such tube creations. Didn't seem to matter the size though. There was plenty of calamity to be found and some of it came full circle in return. Giveth to the trail, and the trail giveth back.

The trip started with the typical loading up gear and getting things together. I spent the morning doing some grocery shopping and running around town. For whatever reason, I looked down at the gauges and saw this...

... no real significance, just found it interesting. The Jeep was all set and I waited for the wifey to get home.

Friday was pretty much an hour and a half drive followed up with a campfire and libations. Scheduling didn't work out to get in any wheeling as we didn't leave home until later in the afternoon, but all was not lost. We made the drive to our halfway point to a cabin belonging to a member in the group. Super nice place! We had some dinner, sat around the fire, and a mild amount of liquid enjoyment was had. In the morning, the air had this beautiful freshness to it... sure felt like the start of a great day!

We had another hour and a half drive to Dresser from the cabin. Just one long road in front of us and the drive was perfect. Not much for wind and the trees were changing colors for fall. Our destination was found and what was waiting for us was very intimidating... people! So many people!!! Didn't matter what direction you looked, there were little clumps of campers and trailers everywhere!

See, we showed up for an annual event held by a local club. The thing of it is though is that for how many people were there, there's very little information to be found on the simple things like camping or registration. We show up, start asking questions, and there really isn't any kind of structure. They pretty much just want people to show up and have a good time. Camp was pitched, tires were aired down, doors were removed, and away we went.

Not even five minutes into the first trail and there was this huge quad cab Dakota on the side and the driver asking everyone who passed by if they had any air. And it starts! We pull over and I unload my CO2 tank. His tire is filled and everyone is on their way again. Couple hill climbs later, and it was my turn to get in a bind. I loved it though! I FINALLY got to use my winch!!! I've had it for eight years or so, it's been hung on the front of three Jeeps now, and this was the first time I got to use it for extraction! So? Start pulling cable!

That was fun, but there's more to it. Last weekend, I took the time to make up what over landers call a "sand ladder". There's been a season long running joke in our wheeling group about ramps and when it's proper to use them. I took it upon myself to make up a really nice modular setup, but then I took it a step further by painting them bright yellow just in case someone were to be caught using them in a picture they would just scream, "LOOK AT ME!!! I'M YELLOW!!!" Well... I was sadly the first to use them.

Yup... pulling cable AND using a trail aid. It was from that point on that I decided that I'd own up to it. After all, it was all gear contained in my rig that got me through! We continued on and saw some more rigs that made the three of our Jeeps just look small.

Then came the first of our problems. Wait for it...

... wait for it!...

Now!

There was some mild binding in the wheel, but everything seemed to be solid enough to keep going with it as-is. So we did!

... and... here comes chaos!

$#!&! Time for fixing again...

At this point a fellow trail rider was passing by to be yet another person standing around to watch. But he had a rag to double as an impromptu axle seal! See? The trail giveth back! The Jurassic Jeep was back up and running with three wheel drive. A quick half hour later and we were back in action!

... until?... a dead battery holding up the line.

And then we were back in action!... again!

That was Saturday on the trail.  Back to camp...

... for some more creative ingenuity this time in the form of a bench...

... and then a found rack for cooking dinner...

We sat around the fire and watched the night wheelers come and go from the trails. Seemed to be plenty of activity even after dark!

This morning was spent swapping the rag stuffed axle tube with a spare shaft and bending around the drag link... even if it ended up getting bent back somewhat after a short while.

... he actually got a little ambitious there and ended up backing down to try a different line. I've said it a bunch of times in the past, but this little Jeep flies so far under the radar when it comes to the ability to get it done. Just like a little, red billy goat! The guy in the Jurassic Jeep and I were admittedly waiting all weekend to see him get stuck and it just wouldn't happen. Very capable.

I haven't mentioned anymore trail issues for a bit, so I'm sure that I'm due. We had one trail that we planned on doing today and it was cut a bit short in the form of a dead alternator.

We didn't have much time left for being inventive, so we had to make every situation count! Why keep a foot on the gas to charge a battery when there's all these perfectly shaped rocks around?!

He was running again and then just cannonballed it back to camp. We hit a few more obstacles on our way out of the trail, but the drive home was making me a little gun shy. Still found a few rocks to sit on though.

On our way back to camp I passed what was left of a Comanche, so this post is now relevant.

Same as most wheeling trips, there weren't a while lot of pictures taken of actual wheeling, but we all had a great time and there's always a good story. We helped out a few people, we had some trail fixes, and everybody made their way home safely. Dirty... but safely. The Ape made the three hour drive back home and it got a much deserved hose down. I can't imagine Dresser after a bunch of rain! There was definitely more mud and sloppy stuff than I usually like, but it all comes down to the whole "when in Rome" thing. As for the interior... well... let's just say that the tube doors might not have been a wise choice for soft sand and flying clumps of mud. I must've brought half the freakin' park back with me! At the very least, it should be easier to get around next then, right?

Hopefully more pictures to come.

It was an incredible summer swinging this Jeep around the trails! Sadly, I think my wheeling season is over. The leaves are all changing and it's getting to be time to look at some other projects before winter really sets in.  :(

Thanks Jay! It's funny... not even a year ago Austin drops this thing off in my driveway and I post up...

... Expect to see not much of a build up as it already is...

... and then nine pages later and I'm crazy about this turd!  :laughin: I honestly didn't think I'd still have it at this point! Then yesterday I was walking past it and caught myself placing my hand on the hood almost as if scratching behind the ear of an old dog.  :shake:

The rest of the fleet got all washed up and this thing was looking from afar the whole time with its big puppy dog eyes. Ugh... fine! It too got a proper bath and it even claimed a place in the garage for winter parking this year.

Not so sure it knows what to do with itself getting spoiled like that today!  :shake:

• 2 weeks later...

Met up with a great group of Jeeps in Appleton. These guys are real Appleton veterans that really know the place! I've never been around in the depths of the park like where we got into yesterday. It's a fun little park!... but the trails need to be better marked and it's usually overrun with ATVs going the wrong way down one ways and rutting up OHV only trails. The Ape kept up just fine with the group for the most part. I was the little guy for most of the day on my little 33s among real rigs... you know the type... trailered. I probably kept up longer than I should've on a few trails. No real carnage to report, but the gas tank skid was earning its keep for sure!

Before winter really hits, I'd like to take it down so it doesn't get filled with road crap. That'll give me a chance to give it a good once over and straighten out what I can. The rear bumper was dragging over everything, as usual, and the sliders got a few new scrapes as well.

As for the rest of the group, there was a punctured tire on one rig and ignition problems on another. Really neat Jeeps though! The black two door had just about a whole steel yard of tube and plate stacked on it, and it was riding on Toyota axles. The green Jeep was... um... maybe a YJ tub at one point? The Comanche started off life as an '87 long box. Doc is a member here but there's no build thread. The Jeep was built years ago and really hasn't changed as far as I know. This thing really performs! XJ wheel base, tractor link control arms front/rear, and nothing more than what it needs to do what it does... when it's running right, anyhow. Towards the end of the day, a couple more guys showed up to run the south end of the park. Couple XJs on 31s but that's all you really need to have a well enough time in Appleton.

The sun was starting to fall behind the trees and that intermittent ignition problem in the MJ finally decided that it had enough. Ape to the rescue!

Pulled him off the trail, across the park, and up onto the trailer. All in all, it was a good day on the trail.

... Before winter really hits, I'd like to take it down so it doesn't get filled with road crap. That'll give me a chance to give it a good once over and straighten out what I can...

Okay... so I needed something to occupy my time this morning. This thing got beat up! A chain and my floor jack straightened it up well enough.

Before...

After...

Just like brand new again!  :laughin: Then it found a home in the shed for the winter.