The Pirate Baboon

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Correct. Couple pieces of 1/4"x2"x3" angle and one piece of 1/4"x2"x3" tubing for the bulk of it along with more weight than I probably needed. Others have used just a piece of 2"x4" tubing and doing away with complexity, but once again I was just using whatever scraps I had. Some assembly required. Easy, peasy.

Control arm mini skid done today along making up a new mount for the stabilizer. No idea what it's supposed to be for, but an XJ it is not. Would it make more sense to get one that's actually designed to fit? Probably. On the other hand, like the new crossmember it makes for potential future changes easier when the time comes.

• 2 weeks later...

Started on something new today. Does it add anything performance wise?... probably not. Will make a racket in the interior?... maybe. Am I making it just for the simple fact that I wanted to?... yup.

I thought I had all my ducks in a row with this one, and then I went out to the shop yesterday to try and put together all the pieces. Nope... of course not. In my haste of looking around online at what others have done I made the mistake of not actually MEASURING what would fit in the cowl and what wouldn't. I very happily stopped at the local parts place and picked up your average "this is going to make my car go so fast" style cone filter, went home to cut some very large holes, only to find out that my newly purchased "this is going to make my car go so fast" style cone filter is way too big to fit into the cowl.

Bummer. Okay... had some running around to do in town yesterday so I stopped again. They were just unpacking a new batch of other style "this is going to make my car go so fast" style cone filters and I though that I had a winner. THOUGHT is the key word there. Everything looked like it would fit, but it was going to be tight.

Looks promising?

Nope... double fail. After expelling all options of fairly cheap local parts store "this is going to make my car go so fast" style cone filters, I did what I should've done in the first place and did some looking around online at dimensions I ordered up a K&N RU-5111.

410SMDJBM7L._SX466_.jpg

It's has a 3" flange and the dimensions are 4.5" at the fat end, 3.5" at the skinny end, and 5.75" tall minus the flange which is .75". It's really the 4.5" measurement that's the real magic of it. The cowl can be cut so it'll just barely fit between some nice stamped sheet metal lines, but I've got about 5.5" of depth to work with. Then there's the middle of the cowl that cuts in to make room for the valve cover which necks down to just over 3.5". It'll be tight, but I also wanted to go with something that won't choke anything down. Fingers crossed on this one. I've got some very large holes cut into the cowl that should really be filled with something to make it worthwhile.  :doh:

Not a pain to get to at all. Thus...

... some very large holes...

Tried to plan ahead on that one instead of the "that'll do" approach of all the other projects on this thing.

Thanks! Spent a little bit of time looking at this today. Got a package from Amazon with a fancy new air cleaner. Measured it up and it should fit... probably.

Also this happened...

Nice tank skid.   :bowdown:  Looks kinda like the Rocky Road one, only betta!

Yeah... there really isn't all that much one can do to change it up with an XJ tank skid. I've never seen one with drainage holes though. I wanted those so I can rinse things out from time to time with little fuss. You know... rust control and all...  :fs2:

That's why yours is betta.  :cheers:  I also punched holes in my tank skid before installing because of the deep water crossings I have to do occasionally at the mall. The little louvers in the factory skid get clogged sometimes.

• 2 weeks later...

Drove this thing to work today and I went out around mid afternoon to find a new spot of fluid on the pavement in an odd place. Crawled under it to find a few moist lines. "Hu... well, that's either a fuel line, or a brake line. Neither of which I'd like to deal with in a parking lot." Hoped in it, pushed the brake pedal and things felt okay. Pumped it up and gave it another go... and then it went straight to the floor. Crap. Had a nice walk to the closest parts store, got a 5' stick of bulk line, few fittings, and then tried to rent a flaring tool. Well, they didn't have any flaring tools left to rent out, and I contemplated throwing a compression fitting on there just to get it home... for about two seconds. Wifey picked me up after she got done with work and we headed for home to get my flaring tool. Got back... cut... flare... assemble... she worked the pedal... now it's better than ever. Honestly, I wonder how long it's been leaking! Scary thought!  :eek:

As for the rest of the day, it started off awesome! Why? Because it now sounds like it's got a turbo breathing through the dash! It's a little loud at start up, and then also when you stab the gas. Pictures to follow at some point of the new intake.  :D