Starts up, then Shuts down

Okay, Looked for this in the forum, but Doesn't seem as if I have the same issue as some of the other guys, it seems as if theirs wouldn't start at all. I turn the Key to "on", get all electronics working, then when I crank my truck, it starts up just fine, but dies after about 3-5 seconds. A buddy of mine told me it might be the ignition coil, changed that out, still does it. Recently I have put on new battery cables, Cleaned the C101, replaced the crankshaft position sensor, replaced the ignition module, and changed out the fuel filter. I don't think it is fuel related because it still starts. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks 

1988 Pioneer 4.0 RWD. 

try bypassing the fuel pump ballast resistor.  its a whitish ceramic chunk about 3 inches long in the engine by on the drivers side fender.  just take the 2 wires coming off of it and connect them together and try starting it up

try bypassing the fuel pump ballast resistor.  its a whitish ceramic chunk about 3 inches long in the engine by on the drivers side fender.  just take the 2 wires coming off of it and connect them together and try starting it up

^^^ This.

• 4 months later...

Could not find one anywhere (napa/pepboys/advanced), dug through a few threads saw the standard ignition unit ru29t... Xref the resistance against the napa pre fix "icr" came up with napa echlin icr23 passed the eye and ohmeter tests and more importantly the test drive.

Could not find one anywhere (napa/pepboys/advanced), dug through a few threads saw the standard ignition unit ru29t... Xref the resistance against the napa pre fix "icr" came up with napa echlin icr23 passed the eye and ohmeter tests and more importantly the test drive.

Just bypass it. It's only there to reduce fuel pump noise. 

^^^ This.

^^^^^^ just had the same issue when doing h.o. swap. Forgot abt ballast thing. Take ur time b patient