New Toy/Project/Moneydump

With the Comanche getting it's rebuilt AX-15 soon I've decided I'm gonna leave it alone for awhile. But I had to have something to work on in the mean time right?

1967 Chevrolet Caprice Estate. 283 V8 and 2speed PowerGlide. Bagged. Lots of body work and customization nearly ready to be painted. Interior is a hell hole but drives like a dream! I'm thinking glossy black with all the chrome trim and a big chrome roof basket, then refurbish stock blue interior with wood paneled seat backs to make it like a truck bed when the seats fold. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Went a different direction than I thought I would initially. Now idk if I want it glossy black or silver still  :dunno: . Interior still needs to be gutted once I find time. Leaking about a quart every two months so that is next on the list! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Got this pick of the truck and the toy. The wagon has made three drives to and from Boulder CO (70mi) without any problems. Eats about a quart of oil every two trips. 

Also, formula car has been completed but still doesn't run smoothly. We are not going to competition this year due to other issues but it is pretty sweet!! 

What motor are you guys running? Sounds like a thumper, but it's hard to tell in an echoey room like that.

When's competition for you guys? Michigan is, like, now, (I think) so does that mean you're headed to Lincoln? If so, keep an eye out for the University of Saskatchewan car. I took a year off school so I won't be with them this year, though.

None of our actual cars ever made it into or behind my MJ, but I was the one responsible for hauling around our simulator car... Basically just a seat and stereo in an empty rolling chassis that had a laptop steering wheel and pedal set hooked up to the Live For Speed game. I had the truck with the longest bed is how that happened.

• 2 months later...

Finally had time to start on the wagon. Pulled the carpet and minor rust on the floors and trunk deck. Headliner pulled and ground all the surface rust away to prep for por15 and headliner soon. Took for ever and my arms are killing me...... Starting to debate the color I want to paint it again. This time I'm thinking deep cherry red lower, then matte black from pillars up to include roof and hood, then black out all the chrome (keep the shark mouth of course). Any tips on spray painting a car? 

Also, formula car testing is heavy underway. Trying a new pneumatic shifter system and tuning the engine. Muffler blew out and yes that is me nearly catching fire  :thumbsup:

• 4 months later...

Cool. My old team had some bad luck at Lincoln last year (DNA'd all the dynamic events), so they're working out some bugs and taking the car to Michigan. It'll be the team's first time back there in around ten years, although they've been hitting up Lincoln/Cali the whole time. I think they're also putting another car together for Lincoln 2016 as well.

This is one of the things I that's bugging me most about not being in school... Sitting on the sidelines of FSAE. It's getting pretty difficult to keep up with everything.

You're still running the single, I'm guessing... What are you guts expecting to weigh in at? Looks like maybe right around 400lbs? 10" kaisers, tire 15 x 6 /18 x 8 f/r? Hard to tell in the rendering.

Looks like a similar "ball joint" (bolt through a spherical bearing) to what we ran, what do you have for the inboard ends of the a-arms? Steel a-arms? The direct coilovers was something I kinda wanted to try out. We had pull-rods in the front and push-rods in the back, and while it did kinda shift the cog down a little, it also added weight and complexity. And with student build quality, that meant more chance of something being not-quite-right and binding or otherwise causing problems in the geometry. We might have put a little more beef and/or triangulation into the chassis pickups as well, but you crunched the numbers and I'm sure it'll be fine. Less weight that way, and we needed a bit more beef, getting 80bhp or so from the CBR600RR we were running. Nothing wrong with the 450, of course. Less mass and much easier to package, I would guess.

Yup 350lbs weight goal, Kaisers are spot on. Spherical bearing with spacers on upright ends and threaded rod end with spacers on the inboard side. Steel tube a arms yup. Direct actuation was cool but the only shocks long enough are fox shocks and the valving is terrible for fsae applications. The motion ratios are also kinda terrible. And yeah ltr450 stock still. Should be about 40hp. Hoping for potential bore stroke and turbo applications next year