4x4 coversion '89' or '99'??

Hello once again. I am in need of CC member input on which year Cherokee to buy. I am looking at two models 89 and a 99 to covert my 88 Comanche to a 4x4 . Will be switching to a AW4 trans and doing away with the 5 speed . Both Cherokees are available for the same $. I am leaning more to the 89 because I think the renix set up will be easier to swap. Is there a big advantage to the 99 model or be a real pain for swapping 4x4 parts. Thanks guys

You have an 88 Comanche so I would be inclined to go with the 89 Cherokee.  Lots of extra parts you could directly swap into the truck or hold onto as spares.  Not so much with the 99 Cherokee.  All the wiring is different, the transmission has different electrical and sensor requirements.  Just a whole bunch more work.  On the plus sided is the 99 core 4.0 engine.  Not enough to tip the balance IMHO.

And with the 89, you have the ecu.  If you take the 99 you have to source a renix automatic ecu from someplace.

I.d go with the 89 I'm doing allmost the same swap as you,I.m using a 88 XJ doner for a 89 MJ conversion.Going from a 5 speed to an AW4    NP 242 I.ve allready swapped in the front and rear axles ,That was easy enough,From looking at the XJ, everything seems to be a straight swap.Gotta drill a few holes on the side of the hump for some linkage.Having a doner vechicle is really a big advantage over just gathering up the parts.Good luck which ever way you go.

99 for the fact that you'll also get an HP D30 instead of the low pinion older model and more than likely a 29 spline 8.25 rear out of it. NP231 is the the later sealed unit which will make it easier for you to drive with just a front driveshaft if need be (for example if a ujoint blows going down the road and you don't have a spare or can't repair it on the side of the road you can simply pull the rear ds, put it 4wd, and drive on).

Though personally I'd swap the entire drivetrain and as much else as possible. HO motor beats the hell out of Renix, it's easier to work on with more horsepower and the most torque out of every XJ year, and easier diagnostics with the ODBII, the later cooling systems are significantly better, ect and I'm generally not a big fan of 97+ XJs. However if I'm going to take the time to swap that much stuff over I figure I might as well get the best parts I can even if it's a bit of extra work.

99 for the fact that you'll also get an HP D30 instead of the low pinion older model and more than likely a 29 spline 8.25 rear out of it. NP231 is the the later sealed unit which will make it easier for you to drive with just a front driveshaft if need be (for example if a ujoint blows going down the road and you don't have a spare or can't repair it on the side of the road you can simply pull the rear ds, put it 4wd, and drive on).

Though personally I'd swap the entire drivetrain and as much else as possible. HO motor beats the hell out of Renix, it's easier to work on with more horsepower and the most torque out of every XJ year, and easier diagnostics with the ODBII, the later cooling systems are significantly better, ect and I'm generally not a big fan of 97+ XJs. However if I'm going to take the time to swap that much stuff over I figure I might as well get the best parts I can even if it's a bit of extra work.

all xj are high pinion except for the 2000 and 2001 model years. If you use the 89 you could swap it over to 4x4 in a long weekend. If you use the 99 it is a lot more work ( I'm thinking several long weekends).

Thanks for the feedback, I have lost out on getting the 89 this week, Its sold. Your answers gave me a more definite thought to what I will be looking for. Some where around a 88-90 XJ. I am also looking at a J4000 if I can't get my Comanche converted to a 4x4. You guys know your Comanche's. Ive never had a 4wd truck before just 2wd and hot street cars. Thanks for giving me some guidelines.

Not trying to hijack the thread but I was thinking of doing a 85 Jeep Cherokee 4X4 to a 88 jeep comanche 4X2 swap. I was going to pull:

-front axle

- trans

-t-case 

-shifter linkage 

-front driveshaft

-rear driveshaft 

Any other competitions I should look for? 

Not trying to hijack the thread but I was thinking of doing a 85 Jeep Cherokee 4X4 to a 88 jeep comanche 4X2 swap. I was going to pull:

-front axle

- trans

-t-case

-shifter linkage

-front driveshaft

-rear driveshaft

Any other competitions I should look for?

What engine is in the 85 and 88?