What shifter knob and boot?

Well after a year the replacement knob i bought for my jeep bit the dust and now its annoying as hell. also need to change the boot. I bought a leather one at walmart for $8.00 but it doesnt look right in my truck so id like to find an OEM boot. But id like to go with a different Jeep knob because i don't really find the factory style comfortable. I found a knob off a 97+ cherokee and a cj/yj type. will they both fit and does anyone have any input on comfort?

I found a knob off a 97+ cherokee and a cj/yj type. will they both fit and does anyone have any input on comfort?

The one for the 97+ Cherokee also fits the TJ Wrangler. I have it in my 2000 XJ 5-speed, and I retrofitted my '88 MJ after failing to glue the factory knob together with epoxy. I like the new style much better than the early style, for comfort of operation as well as for longevity.

Does it just spin on? How exactly did you retrofit it?

Take off the old, put on the new.

Yes, it just spins on. The knob itself has an inside thread. There is a recess under the shift pattern medallion for the lock nut. In fact, on the '88 MJ I never got around to installing the medallion -- I left it off because I knew I'd be working on the truck and I didn't want to gouge the new knob prying the medallion off -- and now I have no idea where I put it for "safekeeping."

I had an 88 Pioneer and I have a 91Eliminator and I bought replacement OEM style knobs for both because I wanted to keep the original look and I like the feel of the knob. Both were/are secured on the shaft by a locknut on the threads below the knob. It's a round nut with two flats for a wrench. If I remember correctly, the threads are different between the two models.

Eagle and Blue XJ - you're right about the threads. Thinking back, I pulled a knob off a later model XJ at the JY and it had the different thread.

Thejim42 - if you're looking for the boot that fits on the console, they're available on eBay and Amazon as well as other places. If you want the boot that mounts on the floor/transmission hump, the OEM part I bought for my 88 is PN 53002864. Bought one a little over a year ago from the dealer for around $35.00. Some members have used the Quadratec PN 52106.03 and said that it was a good fit. I believe it costs a good bit less than the OEM part.