4.0 fan in a 2.8

I've seen 2.5L XJs with conventional vee belts and with serpentine belts. I know the rotation of the water pump is reversed with the serpentine belt. I always assumed the fan rotation was also reversed, but maybe not.

{Edit to add} From the 1986 MJ FSM:

CAUTION: Four-cylinder engines with A/C are equipped with a serpentine (single) drive belt and have a reverse rotating water pump and viscous (Temperature) fan drive assembly. The components are identified by the words "REVERSE" stamped on the cover of the viscous drive and inner side of the fan. Do not install components that are intended for non-serpentine drive belts.

You should be able to see the difference just by putting them side by side....if it was reversed the blade would be pitched the other way  \  /    

Same with the water pumps you can look at and compare the impellers from the back side.

And the Double V Belt configuation was more prevelent in wranglers....if that info helps

Just food for thought. The 2.5 fan had a strange blade arrangement with 4 blades grouped together and then 3 blades grouped together making for seven blades total. I do believe the blades were also oriented in the wrong direction, even though it was a v-belt configuration.

While at the junkyard we also tried a ZJ fan, but of course it didn't work either. We even hunted down several 2.8 s10 trucks and still could not find a suitable fan. One of them may have been able to bolt up, but the risk of it not working, the cost, and the distance we had to travel made me decide other wise. Hence why we said screw it and just ordered a new one.

FYI the solid shaft design seems to be the only one available any more. Could not order a clutch fan.

FPC.

Just food for thought. The 2.5 fan had a strange blade arrangement with 4 blades grouped together and then 3 blades grouped together making for seven blades total. I do believe the blades were also oriented in the wrong direction, even though it was a v-belt configuration.

While at the junkyard we also tried a ZJ fan, but of course it didn't work either. We even hunted down several 2.8 s10 trucks and still could not find a suitable fan. One of them may have been able to bolt up, but the risk of it not working, the cost, and the distance we had to travel made me decide other wise. Hence why we said screw it and just ordered a new one.

FYI the solid shaft design seems to be the only one available any more. Could not order a clutch fan.

FPC.

What he said!

??? Huh?

The fan is a separate part from the fan clutch/viscous drive.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/1988-Jeep-Comanche-4WD/Fan-Clutch/_/N-iugb1Z9pd92

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/flex-a-lite-fanclutch-5555/10318987-P?navigationPath=L1*14922|L2*15019

In my defense i did not search any online sites, but when i talked to the folks at the auto parts store they explained to me that instead of using the a clutch to control fan speed it was simply a direct 1:1 ratio via a solid shaft. Like this Jeep has, only minus the solid shaft. . .

There is no clutch so whatever the water pump pulley spins at, so does the fan. My old Isuzu's fan worked this way.

If I were me.........Efan.

or

Flex fan and spacer.

I did consider an Electric fan, but we had no way of knowing if it would mount or even come close, nor did we have the means to  if it didn't. On top of all that we did not have any electrical tools (switch, wire, heat shrink, connectors, nada) either. AND we were extremely limited on what we were allowed to buy.

I know i could have gotten an E-fan to work, i just didnt have what i needed at the time.

In my defense i did not search any online sites, but when i talked to the folks at the auto parts store they explained to me that instead of using the a clutch to control fan speed it was simply a direct 1:1 ratio via a solid shaft. Like this Jeep has, only minus the solid shaft. . .

TURN IN YOUR MAN CARD!

You violated the Prime Directive: You believed a guy in a parts store. His explanation is entirely wrong, and makes no sense. Yes, in the old days not all engines had fan clutches, but the fan has always mounted to a flange on the front of whatever supports it. (Traditionally the water pump, sometimes an idler remote from the water pump.)

If you think you're going to get a fan with a drive shaft built into it -- guess again.