Starts then shuts off immediately (86 2.5l 4x4)

During my drive home the other day after leaving from a red light,shifted from 2nd to 3rd and noticed kinda lacked power but rpms were low so I down shifted to 2nd, power continue to fade and then it died.

Now it will start and immediately shuts off, even if I give it gas it will still $#!& off.

Oh, I should've read the title more closely... You've got the 2.5L.  Those don't have the resistor ballast, IIRC.  At least not in '86 anyway.  Um... Perhaps the fuel pump itself is starting to, or now has, die(d).  That's what happened to me on my '86 when I still had a 2.5L in the old girl.

• 2 weeks later...

No you are running on the cleaner you spayed in.......otherwise it would keep running........it has somthing to do with fuel delivery........if you don't believe me take 2 or 3 table spoons of fuel.....dump it down the TB.....or 86 maybe you have a carb?

dump a bit of fuel in wait 30 secs....try and start it.....does it fire,,,,run,,,,then die?

No my friend.....if you are spraying carb cleaner and it is running........YOU ARE RUNNING ON CARB CLEANER....you are missing my point......you have a fuel delivery problem.....the fact that the motor runs when you manually introduce fuel to it shows that.

Don't run it on carb cleaner.....probably not good for it.

Fellow Oregonian,

I definitely agree with yxmj.

Could it be as simple as needing a new fuel filter? Once my buddy's truck died and then wouldn't start and the mechanic said it was just a clogged fuel filter.

Or even the rubber hose that connects at the fuel pump....

When I first was diagnosing a no start on my truck

I out starter fluid to start it but it had the same issues as you...

Then I took off the fuel filter to see if the pump was priming/pumping fuel I noticed no fuel delivery....

Then when I finally got around to dropping the tank and taking out the sending unit...

The rubber hose that helps transfer the fuel delivery was torn apart....

Well I did some Googling for you......Just type in your problem there are a lot of results

Start with the basics......the TB is electrical....refresh your grounds and check your wiring.......

After that if still no go .....get the right tool to loosen you fuel line....take it off and stick a small piece of hose on it .....run the other end to a can or jar.....turn on your key....it there fuel comming out?

:thumbsup:

• Eagle locked this topic