Dash Gauges Lights?

so i was driving last night and noticed that my dash lights are kinda dull, not as bright as i'd like them to be. i was wondering if it's possible to buy new bulbs for the gauges and how hard it is to take the gauges out and replace the bulbs and all that good stuff,

Redwolf

You have tried the dimmer on the headlight switch, correct?

My headlight switch was so-bad,When I did change -it-out, It fell-apart in my hand.Up-grade the ground If & when you change it.

i have not tried messing with the headlight switch, i forgot it controls the dash lights cause i have it turned up all the way, is it easier to take out and replace? and i replace it with any headlight switch just like it out of a cherokee or comanche?

Redwolf

to remove the switch,

• disconnect the battery
  • reach under the dash and find the switch
  • on the bottom of the switch there should be a little button, it might be difficult to reach
  • press and hold the button and pull the headlight nob out
  • once the nob is removed use a large flat head screwdriver to remove the switch
  • carefully remove the harness from the switch (mine was a PITA)

I am 95% sure that it the proper method to remove it. I only took mine out once.

to remove the switch,

• disconnect the battery
  • on the bottom of the switch there should be a little button, it might be difficult to reach
  • once the nob is removed use a large flat head screwdriver to remove the switch

I am 95% sure that it the proper method to remove it. I only took mine out once.

proper method or not as long as it works it works, is it just the opposite to install it?

Redwolf

to remove the switch,
  • disconnect the battery

proper method or not as long as it works it works, is it just the opposite to install it?

Redwolf

Yes

If the dimmer function of the switch still works it's probably not the problem. I believe the bulbs are 74s - not all that hard to get to.

the dimmer function of the switch still works yes but if you turn it all the way like you're gonna click the B pillar lights on, before that click the gauges go dark untill you click it or dial it down a hair, and the 74s, can you get them at any normal auto part store?

Redwolf

If the dimmer function of the switch still works it's probably not the problem. I believe the bulbs are 74s - not all that hard to get to.

the dimmer function of the switch still works yes but if you turn it all the way like you're gonna click the B pillar lights on, before that click the gauges go dark untill you click it or dial it down a hair, and the 74s, can you get them at any normal auto part store?

Redwolf

That's an important detail that suggests the switch dimmer as being the problem. In that case, I'm with the others. Pull the switch and check for burnt up wiring while you're at it. A new switch is $13 on RockAuto.

Edit: You should be able to get 74 bulbs pretty much anywhere you look.

Redwolf

That's an important detail that suggests the switch dimmer as being the problem. In that case, I'm with the others. Pull the switch and check for burnt up wiring while you're at it. A new switch is $13 on RockAuto.

Edit: You should be able to get 74 bulbs pretty much anywhere you look.

thanks, i'll deffently look into the switch sunday, shouldn't be that hard to figure out after the method listed above,

Redwolf

In my 92, it took the 194/168 bulbs. Don't know about the Renix era models. Best thing to do is take the cluster out and see what bulbs are in there. I bought my LED bulbs online and they're very inexpensive.

And no, the LED bulbs can not be dimmed with the switch.

In my 92, it took the 194/168 bulbs. Don't know about the Renix era models. Best thing to do is take the cluster out and see what bulbs are in there. I bought my LED bulbs online and they're very inexpensive.

And no, the LED bulbs can not be dimmed with the switch.

I've heard they are 194/168 too but I probably shouldn't have spoken because I haven't pulled any myself.. Best way to find out is to pull the bulbs then match them up.

thanks guys and i don't plan on goin with LED just cause they can't be dimmed, i do need my lights dimmed when i'm drivin at midnight on lonely roads, but i'll deffently pull the cluster out and check, is there any wires on the back of the cluster, anything like the speedo and mileage that is attached that i should be very carefull of?

Redwolf

The LED bulbs are not obnoxiously bright.

I also put LED bulbs in for the turn indicators and they are bright, even in the daylight. I mentioned in another thread that this helps you notice when you leave your turn signal on.

Redwolf - I believe the 86 models have a speedometer cable connection to the back of the cluster that is similar to my 88. On the 88 the end of the outer cable has a plastic clip that retains the cable to the speedometer hub. Since they are 25 plus years old they can be pretty brittle and easily broken. I understand that some years had a metal end with a retainer clip and screw. Someone with a 86 can fill in the details on the style of cable end specific to 86 models.

In order to get the cluster out, you have to remove the bezel (maybe 6 screws) and then the screws that hold the cluster to the dash.

Before you try to pull the cluster out remove the clip on the engine side of the firewall that holds the speedometer cable in place (about half way down the firewall near the drivers side of the engine) and push any slack through the grommet where the cable passes through the firewall. You may even want to disconnect the cable at the transmission to get more slack in order to pull the cluster far enough away from the dash to get your hand back to the cable connection.

There should be two wire connectors, one on each side of the cluster that snap into place. To release them there are clips on each end of the connector that need to be squeezed toward the connector.

You can use a small inspection mirror to get a better view of the connections behind the cluster after you've pulled it out a little.

Once you have the cluster out, the lamp holders twist out (quarter turn) and the lamps can be replaced. Leave the lamp for the maintenance reminder out.

Before you re-install the cluster, check that your grounds are good.

Remember that you are handling old plastic so don't pull or push too hard. This is definitely not a BFH jobs.

The LED bulbs are not obnoxiously bright.

I also put LED bulbs in for the turn indicators and they are bright, even in the daylight. I mentioned in another thread that this helps you notice when you leave your turn signal on.

deffently why to bright for me, even in the picture but looks nice, do they dim any?

Redwolf - I believe the 86 models have a speedometer cable connection to the back of the cluster that is similar to my 88. On the 88 the end of the outer cable has a plastic clip that retains the cable to the speedometer hub. Since they are 25 plus years old they can be pretty brittle and easily broken. I understand that some years had a metal end with a retainer clip and screw. Someone with a 86 can fill in the details on the style of cable end specific to 86 models.

In order to get the cluster out, you have to remove the bezel (maybe 6 screws) and then the screws that hold the cluster to the dash.

Before you try to pull the cluster out remove the clip on the engine side of the firewall that holds the speedometer cable in place (about half way down the firewall near the drivers side of the engine) and push any slack through the grommet where the cable passes through the firewall. You may even want to disconnect the cable at the transmission to get more slack in order to pull the cluster far enough away from the dash to get your hand back to the cable connection.

There should be two wire connectors, one on each side of the cluster that snap into place. To release them there are clips on each end of the connector that need to be squeezed toward the connector.

You can use a small inspection mirror to get a better view of the connections behind the cluster after you've pulled it out a little.

Once you have the cluster out, the lamp holders twist out (quarter turn) and the lamps can be replaced. Leave the lamp for the maintenance reminder out.

Before you re-install the cluster, check that your grounds are good.

Remember that you are handling old plastic so don't pull or push too hard. This is definitely not a BFH jobs.

thanks i'll deffently keep this in mind when i do it sunday if i get around to it, adjusting my valves comes first over lights

I just did this 5 minutes ago, the speedo cable retainer on my 86 is held on by a metal clip, Push it in to release it.

is the speedo cable the only thing cable? by any chance did ya check the bulb number?

Redwolf