More Power Form Renix 87 And 88

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else done the ECU swap yet?

I thought about it but figured it's probably not worth it since I have a standard and really don't drive it hard, rarely rev or shift over 2,500. If I had an auto (read: stronger trans) I likely would do the swap.

Hmmm...I believe, and correct me if this is impossible, I am running a 98' HO motor with a 88 ECU. Should I still be looking for a TCU from a 89+? Where is the TCU located? Where the auto shift lever meets the side of the trans?

Thanks,

Mitch

88 TCU is just fine. It was only 87 that had the morphodite TCU. 

Changed the ECU today ....kinda. Took out the old ecu and plugged in the 5428 ecu and left it sitting on the transmission tunnel . I do notice better throttle response / less hesitation . I changed the ECU's back and forth to confirm it wasn't in my head . It is a noticeable improvement , not a supercharger but a good

plug and play upgrade .

FWIW I have 88 with auto and a 4.7 stroker . I already have a polished stainless exhaust header and a 2.5 full stainless exhaust with no crush in the down pipe .

Thanks Cruiser .

Changed the ECU today ....kinda. Took out the old ecu and plugged in the 5428 ecu and left it sitting on the transmission tunnel . I do notice better throttle response / less hesitation . I changed the ECU's back and forth to confirm it wasn't in my head . It is a noticeable improvement , not a supercharger but a good

plug and play upgrade .

FWIW I have 88 with auto and a 4.7 stroker . I already have a polished stainless exhaust header and a 2.5 full stainless exhaust with no crush in the down pipe .

Thanks Cruiser .

Yeah man. Now we're talkin'.

• 6 months later...

I noticed the same results with my 88 4.0 5spd (Ba 10/5) ... Crisper throttle response, and smoother acceleration. I no longer have a bouncing throttle prior to warm up as well.

So, was it worth it? LOL. 

Put a set of 746 injectors in it if you haven't already. 

I noticed the same results with my 88 4.0 5spd (Ba 10/5) ... Crisper throttle response, and smoother acceleration. I no longer have a bouncing throttle prior to warm up as well.

Thanks for the response – exactly what I was looking for, just an extra bit of confirmation before I pull an ECM from the local pull and pay (they charge $30)

Meh!

I have Mustang injectors already.

I find my Renix to be no more problematic than my HO ... And simple to fix when things go wrong. I had the choice to convert to OBD I when I picked up the 92 XJ for parts, chose not and just swapped the common parts between the two.

I like my Renix. There I said it, commence the stoning already ya weenie buncha HObum's

It's still rolling the stock D35, BA 10/5 and still uses the stock CPS. I may have adjusted things as they literally fell apart after 27yrs (rad crumbled in my hands prompting the rad swap to open cooling as that's what I had on hand).

Most of the problems have always been wiring related ... an issue common to all three 4.0 engine management platforms (and the 2.5 and 2.8 for that matter, with the 2.8 being the only real problem in the lot).

Meh!

I have Mustang injectors already.

I find my Renix to be no more problematic than my HO ... And simple to fix when things go wrong. I had the choice to convert to OBD I when I picked up the 92 XJ for parts, chose not and just swapped the common parts between the two.

I like my Renix. There I said it, commence the stoning already ya weenie buncha HObum's

It's still rolling the stock D35, BA 10/5 and still uses the stock CPS. I may have adjusted things as they literally fell apart after 27yrs (rad crumbled in my hands prompting the rad swap to open cooling as that's what I had on hand).

Most of the problems have always been wiring related ... an issue common to all three 4.0 engine management platforms (and the 2.5 and 2.8 for that matter, with the 2.8 being the only real problem in the lot).

I probably have the same injectors as you on my 3 family Jeeps. I installed the 746s on my neighbor's 87 and they are really nice. 

LOL. You're just jealous you don't have something as simple and efficient as a rEnix.

Yep, I'm jealous. But you do see the big picture. Controversy breeds knowledge.

Hell yes. I'm all over that!! I drink IPAs/microbrews and I'm guessing you're a Miller guy...Correct?