Half door suggestions

ok i have been planning on making half doors for a while now, i have cut the window frame off one so it looks like this:

now, as it sits now it just looks like the window is down, no good, i want more off, but the question is how much? and where? here are some ideas i had:

this one here is simple, take a chunk out, delete the handle and lock, but leave the triangle to mount some mirrors on.

this one is similar, but i would keep the handle and the mirror triangle, with or without the little artistic notch under the handel. :brows:

here i would kee the handle and delete the triangle, maybe throw on some towing mirrors or something

here is the last one i could think of, delete the handle and the triangle, throw on some towing mirrors and call it a day.

input would be great, hate it love it, how about this? all are welcome.

sorry for the crap photoshop skills, feel free to show off your own.

Jonathan

lol, mjcanoe, follow the link...a guy on naxja did those. I covered the topic on nice ones is what i meant lol.

mine are turning out halfway decent so far...updates on it as I finalize decisions (had a few doors soooo....sawzall!)

my final set will be plasma cut and will retain the stock mirrors. I will consider rotating them...i was thinking 90* only though. more work that way :(

like a wrangler door paddle? sure, why not. you push on the button, it makes a thing lift on a rod that opens the door.

throw a wrangler style handle in there and call it a day. i like the sawed off cherokee one a bit too much...plus one less thing to mess with.

anyone want to get their suggestions in as i may start cutting tomorrow.

i may try making a line like this (lock side) ____/ and do something like that and try to keep the factory mirror mounting place and then make a latch that will sit on the top that will be flat, i was thinking about the old volvo handles on the inside of the doors and putting it on the top, kinda hard to explain.

i do like the white doors, but i already cut off the window frame and to me that doesnt cut it as a half door, i don't know just how i feel about it.

anyway, get your comments or suggestions in before i cut this thing to hell.

Jonathan

lostissues, Man, I'm sorry,. Meant no harm, I really should know better with as picky as I am(ask my wife of 30 yrs) then to say that to someone who has an idea & goes for it.

mjcanoe

no harm, the no door is cool and all, but i just don't like how they look around the edges, just kinda not clean. anyway, i also don't want to draw too much attention from the people that like to give me little pieces of paper that make my money disapear via fines and insurance. :cry:

Jonathan

lostissues, perhaps expand upon the half doors that I think are ideal...cut it shallower but leave the latch, and you already have the top part off.

i do like the looks of them, the only thing that would look kinda wierd is the little up angle that is needed to keep the handle. i wish there was an easy way to move the handel lower or to the top, to avoid making it go back up.

maybe something like this would work:

or maybe i will just make it a RAINBOW jamminz.gif

sorry, its getting late, and i just found that tool in photoshop. :brows:

:oops:

Jonathan

note that I kept the upper edges...I will be doing that with my half doors. but this method allows for retaining the mirrors and maximizing the hole for viewing while wheeling purposes.

i really do like how that looks, i may take that line on the mirror side, if i still have enought material there and then go straight accross and cut off the handle. but i may have to go a little higher in order to keep the latch if i just go straight across. i wonder how it looks... quick dive back into photoshop :roll:

conclusion, i don't think that line around the mirror will work for me as i don't plan to keep the full frame, but i def like how they look on your truck.

Jonathan

ok, so i got a plan and started cutting, this is what i came up with:

i like the outcome, just need to do something to hold on the top piece, then get some metal for the back plate and find out a way to open it. :cheers:

Jonathan

... and find out a way to open it. :cheers:

Jonathan

Did you cut far enough down that you lost the inside handle too?

You could get some sweet electric poppers like they do on the lowriders... haha.