Need Some Advice

So i was out working on the MJ getting her ready to start taking some pics so i can start my actually build page. I went to do a little drive around the neighborhood because i really haven't been able to drive her and there is a bang and a dragging noise :(. the rear yoke gave way and drive shaft came down. luckily i wasn't going that fast so i was able to stop and pick it all up. The question i have though is should i buy a brand new, go get one from the junk yard or put another bolt through it and just tighten it up really well? Image Not Found

You will have to send some more info....your pic shows a 3/8(?) grade 5 bolt with a standard nut and lock washer....... not a stock factory set up....

EDIT.....watch |"88's|" video.....done deal

What that video doesn't say is that these u-bolts won't work on an XJ/MJ D44. There's not enough room between the housing and the yoke to screw the nuts on. If you have a D35 this will work just fine - no problems. If you have a D44, you'll need to install the deeper u-bolt pinion yoke.

The yoke doesn't look wasted to me. The top of the hole for the bolt that dropped out has the inner portion of the wall broken out, but with the stock parts that area isn't even threaded, and the wall may have been blown out when it was drilled for the odd-ball, non-factory bolts that we see in the photo. I would just buy a pair of the u-bolts recommended in the video and reassemble it. In addition to the lock washers, use blue Loctite on the threads.

Depends on if the yoke was drilled out to 5/16" or 3/8". If 5/16" (as the kit U-bolts are) it should be okay; if 3/8" (which is what the odd-ball bolts look like), too much slop for the 5/16" U-bolts. But it may last for awhile..........

The lower ear of that yoke in the pic is missing a portion of it, that has to be putting a lot of pressure on the strap.

I suspect that a previous owner drilled a tapped the bolt due to a broken bolt.....IOWs the same thing happened before.......and has now happened again.

That is why I stated it's wasted.

He can simply install a longer bolt and put a nut on the backside of the yoke if he wants to go at  it again.......however, next time it may be at 70mph when it let's go..... again.

Not me.

The lower ear of that yoke in the pic is missing a portion of it, that has to be putting a lot of pressure on the strap.

I suspect that a previous owner drilled a tapped the bolt due to a broken bolt.....IOWs the same thing happened before.......and has now happened again.

He can simply install a longer bolt and put a nut on the backside of the yoke if he wants to go at  it again.......however, next time it may be at 70mph when it let's go..... again.

Not me.

Look more closely. Whoever did the "modification" (i.e. butcher job) didn't tap anything -- he drilled all the way through. The other three bolts already have nuts on them. All the OP needs to do is buy a pair of the u-bolts discussed in that video and install them.

Not me.

Look more closely. Whoever did the "modification" (i.e. butcher job) didn't tap anything -- he drilled all the way through. The other three bolts already have nuts on them. All the OP needs to do is buy a pair of the u-bolts discussed in that video and install them.

post #3  :thumbsup: