Gear, Axle Swap

Got a '90 MJ up on blocks i'm doing a 4WD swap on. 4.0, AX15, 3.07 D35. The donor for the axles is a '96 XJ 2.5, AX4, 231, 4.10 D30, D35. I'm keeping the 4.0, using a AX15, 231 combo from a 3rd vehicle and using the two 4.10 axles. My question is, is it easier to modify the XJ D35 to fit the MJ? Or would it be easier, better, to keep the MJ D35 and swap the gears? I've swapped gears before but never swapped or  modded a rear axle. :dunno:

Generally its good to leave gears in their original housing.  They can certianly be swapped into a new diff, but there is a chance they won't mesh together the same way, possibly causing noise, vibrations, or other more serious issues.

Preparing an XJ axle to go under an MJ is relatively easy, but does require grinding and welding.

Edit:  I'm sure you've heard this before .... but if you are going to all this trouble, it would be ideal to use a stronger axle than a D35.  I'm assuming you are sticking with the D35 because you have 4.10s in it (them), and that makes sense.  Its just a shame for you to do all this work and still have a D35.

6 of this= a half dozen of that 

The newer axle will have the larger axle shafts and slightly bigger bearings.....but you will have to change the spring perch location (assuming you are keeping the SUA configuration)

If you are familiar with it a gear swap is fairly straight forward.....especially if the diff is out of the truck and easy to work on.... :wrench:

I hear that! I have a matching pair of 3.73s (D30 vacuum front and D35 rear that is SOA correctly except the shock mounts, but they work) that I'll be swapping out when I'm feeling better for non-vac 4.10 front and 8.8 or 8.25 with 4.10 rear. Then my axles will be for sale.

The D35 in my White Comanche...came from an XJ during the 2X to 4X conversion. Perches cut off with a torch, relocated to the MJ locations, welded up. Done. If you go the gear swap direction, would run the Dana serial numbers through the Dana Axle Identification website and make sure they are both either non C-clip or C-Clip as I think the carriers and housings do not interchange.

2 hours work and you can have the D35 set up...................then look for a replacement.

BTW.......with all the 'fear' going round about the D35........I carry and pull a lot of weight and mine hangs in there just fine.

But I'm also looking for a replacement, I'd like to have the AMC20 with 4.11s. I want one of the Aussie lockers for the rear, I'm just not willing to put $300 and another $65 into a cover for the D35.