Cold Weather Grill Closure

This thread brought up some old memories. Back in the 60s and 70s, Volvos had an accessory grille shade for cold weather. It was basically a heavy canvas roll-up retractable window shade mounted in front of the radiator behind the grille. It had a chain running back into the cabin. So on cold mornings you pulled the chain raising the shade to the top of the radiator for a faster warmup, then  lower it or raise it back up as you drove to maintain the ideal engine temperature.

You have your location as Mobile, and while I'm not familiar with the climate there, I'd hazard a guess that if you never use a block heater, you shouldn't ever really need this.

Whether some kind of grill block-off is truly needed or not is a controversial issue, and in complying with the OP's request, I'd rather not start an argument about it.

Blocking off the grill is done to allow the engine to warm up faster. The effects will be somewhat noticeable at just about any temperature, but most noticeable when there's significant airflow through the engine bay. You'll be more grateful for the effects as temperature decreases and air speed increases.

My personal opinion on the subject is that this should be completely unnecessary, since a properly functioning cooling system will effectively do the same thing, with the added advantage of automatically compensating for when things get too hot (although this particular solution does allow for manual adjustment). However, there is a certain point when the air flowing through the engine bay cools the engine enough by itself to prevent the engine from ever getting up to temperature. Some kind of grill closure device would then be a good idea, but unless -40 or less is a normal temperature, you probably won't ever have this issue. I've never had an issue with my MJ in cold weather over a winter and a half with -20ºF being on the chilly side of normal, and I've never run something like this.

Whether it's needed or not, though, this is a pretty slick way to block off the grill. I'd say it looks far better than the (overpriced) quilted "blankets" that are commercially available, and I'd say it's preferable to using cardboard the way Jim suggests, not that there's anything wrong with that method either.

Thanks for the answer, if I ever had to use a cover like this there would be bigger issues to deal with first... (Nuclear winter, super volcano, ice age, some super bomb like in Star Trek into darkness).... I live south of Mobile, a few miles from the Gulf of Mexico. It's not often we get temps that stay below 32F. I have seen items like what the OP made I just was wondering when they would be used.

Yeah, it's not uncommon for them to be run around here, all winter. Even if it's above 10ºF. Mostly I see it on older vehicles, though. I remember going out to my dad's '85 Chevy with my grandpa to install what he called a "Saskatchewan thermostat" on it. We just slid some cereal box cardboard behind the grill. I don't remember it doing much, but I was only 16 at the time. My dad's done it some winters and not done it others. Never really had an issue either way, although my dad says it helps it stay warmer in there. I still don't notice a difference.

I like this idea, but for the aerodynamic aspect of it.

For us 2.5 guys, I suspect we don't need the entire grille to be open and could block off the two outside slots on each side of a 10-slot grille, leaving the center six open, and still be just fine on the cooling. Between blocking off the slots and 1/16" clear lexan over the headlight bezels, one may be able to squeak an extra quarter to half a mile a gallon out of one of these rigs. Every little bit helps, no?

• 3 weeks later...

I push a 7.5' Meyers plow residentially and commercially with my Comanche. Recently I replaced the water pump, thermostat, and radiator and tagged in a temp gauge. Here in PA it's been cold and truck will not run above 140 on a 30 degree day even with the plow up blocking the grille. Lately it's been in the single digits and struggles to run 110 and the heat at best is like warm. I have a 2.5 in it. How much of difference has anyone seen blocking off the entire grille? I have a 195* t-stat in it.

I push a 7.5' Meyers plow residentially and commercially with my Comanche. Recently I replaced the water pump, thermostat, and radiator and tagged in a temp gauge. Here in PA it's been cold and truck will not run above 140 on a 30 degree day even with the plow up blocking the grille. Lately it's been in the single digits and struggles to run 110 and the heat at best is like warm. I have a 2.5 in it. How much of difference has anyone seen blocking off the entire grille? I have a 195* t-stat in it.

Try installing a regulation Mopar 195* stat from the dealership or elsewhere for a few $$ more than the aftermarketeers stuff. They work as advertised maintaining the advertised operating temp.