New To The Renix: Safety Maintenance

Hey all,

As the title says i'm new to the Renix and I have some questions before i start driving this thing.  It's a 1990 model with an ax15 (i believe).  As of now, i've only revved the engine to about 3k RPM and I'd like to go to 5k but i don't feel comfortable with it.  With around 150k on the engine, what should i be doing maintenance wise before really stressing this thing.  I don't want to blow it up!  Thanks in advance

Josh

The question I'm asking myself is why you need to rev that high... apart from driving like I do... a bit of a hoon... And my MPG reflects my driving habits. Peak torque is around 2200 rpm, and I can accelerate to highway speeds without breaking 2000. It just takes a bit longer.

But I'd just do standard stuff for buying a new vehicle, plugs, wires, cap & rotor, change fluids, check all lights are working, and not worry about the engine unless there's cause to worry. 150,000 miles really isn't all that much for a 4.0. There are some on here with twice that.

It's not so much that I NEED to rev that high, but i'd like to know the engine could do it if necessary.   I have the notion to turn this truck into somewhat of a drift-o-manche and i'd like it to not grenade.  I read on another post that max HP is made right before 5k rpms.

Josh

It's not so much that I NEED to rev that high, but i'd like to know the engine could do it if necessary.   I have the notion to turn this truck into somewhat of a drift-o-manche and i'd like it to not grenade.  I read on another post that max HP is made right before 5k rpms.

Josh

Yes, it will and will be fine.

Run a quality oil filte rlike Wix or Napa gold and some good oil.

I just picked mine up with 250k on it. I resealed it, top to bottom, New plugs, wires, cap/rotor, fuel filter, and measured all the sensors to ensure proper operation (resistance values, ohms values, etc) then compression tested it. Once I was happy it was indecent shape, I have her a good pull to red-line. Nothing came apart, no knock, and she pulled strong. While 5k isn't necessary it was nice to know I can rev it if I had to.

Hey all,

As the title says i'm new to the Renix and I have some questions before i start driving this thing.  It's a 1990 model with an ax15 (i believe).  As of now, i've only revved the engine to about 3k RPM and I'd like to go to 5k but i don't feel comfortable with it.  With around 150k on the engine, what should i be doing maintenance wise before really stressing this thing.  I don't want to blow it up!  Thanks in advance

Josh

5,000 is the redline, and if you try to go beyond that the hydraulic lifters will limit you due to valve float. That said, the torque peak is at 2400 RPM and the horsepower peak is at (IIRC) 4700 RPM, so trying to hit or exceed redline is not just wasteful, it's counterproductive.

I have logged easily over a million miles behind the 4.0L engine in various XJs and MJ, and I don't think I've ever gone higher than 3,500 RPM. There's just no reason do do so.