What A Waste....

Wonder if it's got the rear axle under it still... Could be cool to engineer a way to run a drive shaft to it and make it a powered trailer for off road affairs.

We think the same way. I spent some thought on it in years past, and decided that the easiest way to accomplish it would be hydrostatic drive. It would be only fractionally powered compared to the main drive on the truck and would be useful only at low speeds, but that is not a minus for the only useful application (off-road).

I once belonged to a dune buggy club in Hauser, Or. Every Sun we had a big shin dig on the dunes,Dune climbing, drag racing, beer drinking, Just a good time sort of thing. One member had a trailer we would load up with every thing needed and he would tow it out to the dunes and get stuck. Would wind up using two buggies to get the trailer to where it was needed. I got to looking at the trailer one day and noticed it had a truck rear axle under it. End result took a hydraulic pump off an old Mack dump truck. A hydraulic motor, have no idea what it came from and 12V starter. Hooked the hydraulic motor up to the pinion on the axle. Used the starter to drive the Hyd pump. Had a switch on the dash of the buggy to switch the Starter on and off with. Amazing enough it worked.Hit soft sand he hit the switch and made it on thru. There were better ways to go but we used parts from the scrap pile. Only thing we bought was 5 gal hydraulic fluid.

I once belonged to a dune buggy club in Hauser, Or. Every Sun we had a big shin dig on the dunes,Dune climbing, drag racing, beer drinking, Just a good time sort of thing. One member had a trailer we would load up with every thing needed and he would tow it out to the dunes and get stuck. Would wind up using two buggies to get the trailer to where it was needed. I got to looking at the trailer one day and noticed it had a truck rear axle under it. End result took a hydraulic pump off an old Mack dump truck. A hydraulic motor, have no idea what it came from and 12V starter. Hooked the hydraulic motor up to the pinion on the axle. Used the starter to drive the Hyd pump. Had a switch on the dash of the buggy to switch the Starter on and off with. Amazing enough it worked.Hit soft sand he hit the switch and made it on thru. There were better ways to go but we used parts from the scrap pile. Only thing we bought was 5 gal hydraulic fluid.

lol!

I'd find this hard to believe if ANYONE ELSE posted it,

but you, Jim,

I believe! :bowdown:

When are we getting our "Ask Jim" forum here on CC?

(totally serious)