88 Comanche And 97 Xj About To Become One. Hello All!

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks great man!  As fast as you've gotten your build done, you need to come out and help the rest of us haha.

Thanks man.  If any of you guys were around me I'd definitely help.  Such great helping hands are what got me through this build.  People came out of the wood work left and right.  Really happy with it.  Lots more to come. 

Thanks, I am very happy with the color also.  I originally was going to change it out, but I decided to stay with the white.  It's headed off to the body shop next.  I think I am going to spend some good money to get it painted.  So far the build hasn't set me back much.

I put my rear drive shaft in and mounted my exhaust.  I ended up using a nice little flow master I had lying around instead of the stock Walker muffler.  It sounds very throaty.  On the road it drove very well and didn't act crazy in the least.  I am going to have to adjust my kickdown and gear selector cables on my auto trans.  I really had to step on it to get it to down shift and I have to give it a good nudge to get it it to click in to park sometimes.  Seems pretty simple though.  Calling around for estimates on the paint job tomorrow.  I've been tossing around ideas for decal schemes.  I think it will be cool to use a silver late model comanche decal on the door and a black sport sticker on the window.  It would be a sport model and I think the look of it is cool.  I am going to play in photoshop and post some pics of the different options.  Pretty excited!

I also got my keyless entry FOB and receiver.  I had to do it.  It's an option so why not capitalize on it?  I have to drop my headliner to wire up the lights in the rear side panels anyway, so while in there I will wire in a new keyless receiver.  I had one in there, but it must've gotten wet from the leaky windshield in the old XJ because it was cooked.

The only thing I have left that stands out as different are the 4 window switches on my driver door.  I have been forever searching for a 2 door switch.  I even eliminated the rear wiper and defrost switches.  I found a panel with only one switch and replaced it with the fog switch.  It's pretty cool having it completely stock looking with no funny business.

You will see those two door switch panels pop up on various forums and even ebay on occasion. So far the sellers seem to be pretty proud of their part ($$$), so I haven't picked one up yet.

Be sure to post up some of your photoshop ideas  :thumbsup:

You will see those two door switch panels pop up on various forums and even ebay on occasion. So far the sellers seem to be pretty proud of their part ($$$), so I haven't picked one up yet.

Be sure to post up some of your photoshop ideas  :thumbsup:

I am in the same boat.  So damn expensive.  I dream of finding one of those and an MJ d44 in the bone yard.  I have a good selection of pick and pulls out here so anything is possible.  I just found a 2000 XJ that was rear ended and mint every other way AND it was a 5 spd.  I could hardly contain myself because it was literally just put on the yard.  Photoshop stuff is coming.

I had a fun weekend cleaning up the mess I have created in the past few months.  I made the most out of the donor Jeep by chopping it up with a recipricating saw and parting every last thing out of it.  I have officially made my money back on this project.  TONS of work, but it was very fun chopping a Cherokee to pieces. 

I still have countless hours of wet sanding and some filling to do.  I also have to put on my suspension and locate some nice new tires.  It never ends.

I really didn't even look like much in the back of the F250:

Sad end to an XJ but at least that wasn't an MJ you hacked up.

A good running rust free XJ at that.  It was hard to do.  It lives on in the MJ though.  It battled hard through 224k miles .  That interior was so filthy it was comical someone could let it go so bad.  HUGE black spots on the headrests on both front seats. 

That's gross haha.  But, I'll likely do the same to my '90 XJ that served as a donor for my MJ...  I just have a handful of parts I want to get off of it first to use/sell.  Other than that, it's going to the scrap yard for whatever cash I can get for the weight of the metal.  Probably haul it over in the MJ.  Seems like a proper "burial" if you will...

• 1 year later...

So i know this is a old thread. However i have a 99 XJ donor. I was curious on if you needed to make brackets and such for the dash or did it bolt in place like normal? I'm wanting to do this to my 86 MJ. Already have the front clip and fenders on it currently.

• 6 years later...

It's been a while since I've been on here, I kind of kicked the project around and finished some other stuff first.  I was able to pass the CA state bar referee and make it fully street legal. 

I finally broke it down for paint and suspension upgrades.   The frame is like new.  I have an original Comanche Dana44 I am putting in along with a mild lift.  I am keeping it white.  I scored a 2 door window switch in a boneyard and buttoned up the interior.  Windows are coming out and truck will be like new when done.  I had some fun securing the tank to drive it around the farm and down the block to get it painted. 

More progress pics coming.....

IMG_0534.jpg.05b7d28fe7793603ed53c5fe9ddbe30c.jpgIMG_0533.jpg.4c56761a1e918e3731883be75c1c7e05.jpg