88 Comanche And 97 Xj About To Become One. Hello All!

Today was one hell of a challenge.  Help was limited.  Mostly a couple of hounds watching over me:

I got my steering column in and the firewall all buttoned up.  It was a bit of a pain(fog/driving light switch is coming):

The next step was installing the gas tank and making sure the filler neck fits snug with no funny business.  I had the Comanche, XJ, and a Dakota neck/hoses.  None of it just simply worked.  The Dakota is larger on the vent and the fill.  I cut down the metal pipe and used it to extend the vent of the XJ hose and it worked perfectly.  I used the '92 Dakota metal pipe for the tank end and then cut a piece of the XJ hose just long enough to cover the MJ filler neck.  It acted as a shim.  Then I put the larger hose over that and clamped it down.  It worked great.  It was a bit of head scratching, but it all worked out nicely.  It is very stock looking.  The vent/fuel lines and electric are all ready to go:

In the dark last night I installed the suspension and did some more work to the engine.  I installed the 99+ intake, new exhaust manifold, cap/rotor, champion copper plugs, water pump/pipe, and the o-rings in the oil filter housing.  She's ready to run for another 200k.  It should be in and running tomorrow.  It's been exactly 3 weeks to the day since I have broken ground on the project.  It's been 10 full long hard days of work.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I've been killing myself doing this build because I had a major knee reconstruction scheduled for the 18th.  So on Friday the hospital calls me and tells me they still don't have a cadaver knee to give me so I am on hold.  So as much as I wanted to get this surgery done with, now I will be able to get my truck finished this week!  Today was really tough.  I will tell you things don't happen as fast when you are working alone.  I have my gf's 78 year old retired heavy machinery mechanic to help me.  He's been such a valuable asset with knowledge and ideas that I would never have come up with.  Previous weekends I had tons of hands, this weekend not as much.  The engine is in either way.  SO MUCH WORK:

Everything is wired and ready.  I just have to put in the AC, serpentine belt, and radiator.  It should run tomorrow.

I meant north Carolina, and of course you would be on the opposite coast from me.

You are progressing very well, and it looks like you are going to have pretty much exactly what I want to do with my Comanche. Good luck on the finish line, and your pending surgery.

Thanks again man.  You will find everything you need.  It's all out there you just have to be insane about looking.  I am extremely fortunate to be in NorCal dealing with all rust free vehicles.  I grew up in NJ and everything was always a rusted up mess.  

• 2 weeks later...

Did a ton of work on the Jeep today. I had to tap all the damn nuts for the trans plate. They were there just not tapped, because the truck was a manual prior. I got the new exhaust all bolted up and the plate installed:
pic coming

Then I put all new o-rings in the AC system along with a new dryer:
Pic coming

I ran into some issues with the truck running funny and the fuel pump having no power at times. I hadn't secured a ground on the inside of the cab and that made a major difference once secured. Probably should've gone over that first. Sometimes theres just too much going on.

Turns out the trans I got is only a 21 spline not 23, which would explain why my damn kickdown cable is too short. I bought it from a guy that said it was a 93. No reason not to take his word, but I guess had I counted the splines I would've known sooner. So I have to swap out the damn trans. I already found one and have it all apart ready to go. Shouldn't be too bad. Truck is running good and the front end is almost all together. I spent a lot of time making sure every damn line was straight. Pain in the @$$, but worth every minute. It's going to look great when it's done.
[/url]
[/url]

What did you use to achieve a 2" lift?  I just read your build thread btw.  Nice work.

Thanks! Still got a lot more to do.  But you know how these things are... never ending.

For a 2" lift I used coil spacers and Chevy lowering shackles.  The shackles netted me the two inches I sought after, but the coil spacers rest on top of worn factory 4.0L springs from my '88 XJ.  Realistically the front only went up about 3/4" inch, so it's got a bit of rake to it.  Plan to level it out with either 2" lift coils or low mileage V8 ZJ coils + the spacers.  Then it'll be a matter of new shocks.

What did you use to achieve a 2" lift?  I just read your build thread btw.  Nice work.

Thanks! Still got a lot more to do.  But you know how these things are... never ending.

For a 2" lift I used coil spacers and Chevy lowering shackles.  The shackles netted me the two inches I sought after, but the coil spacers rest on top of worn factory 4.0L springs from my '88 XJ.  Realistically the front only went up about 3/4" inch, so it's got a bit of rake to it.  Plan to level it out with either 2" lift coils or low mileage V8 ZJ coils + the spacers.  Then it'll be a matter of new shocks.

I'm basically on the same path.  I used pucks on my old TJ and I was happy with them.  I might get some new Moog springs that will supposedly lift me, if not I will get some spacers.  I think I am also going to go with the Chevy shackles.  What tire size are you running?  I think I am going to run 30x9.5's.

What tire size are you running?  I think I am going to run 30x9.5's.

Right now, I'm running the stock sized 225/70R15's. When I bought the truck back in January, the PO had just recently put new tires on it so I can't justify changing them out any time soon (plus the money isn't there lol).  With 2" of lift, they don't look tiny or funny.

Eventually, I will probably go to 30" x 9.5"'s.  I've got a set of turbine rims that I will one day refinish and that'll likely be when I make that step up.

What tire size are you running?  I think I am going to run 30x9.5's.

Right now, I'm running the stock sized 225/70R15's. When I bought the truck back in January, the PO had just recently put new tires on it so I can't justify changing them out any time soon (plus the money isn't there lol).  With 2" of lift, they don't look tiny or funny.

Eventually, I will probably go to 30" x 9.5"'s.  I've got a set of turbine rims that I will one day refinish and that'll likely be when I make that step up.

I saw the turbines.  I want to see them finished!  I had 235's and sold them because I didn't like the wheels.  I'm also on 225's.  Tires probably will not be a top priority of mine either.  I am pretty much making sure she runs n drives right before I do anything else in that category.  I am going to end up dropping a good bit of money into a paint job.  The way I have finagled everything with buying this and selling that.  I will pretty much break even on the truck, so I am going to spring for a sweet coat of paint.  

I have been following your build since it started. I am amazed how fast you got it put together and running! Great work.

Thanks!  It's been an amazing experience.  So much awesome help.  Everything just fell in my lap at the perfect time and it has come together nicely.  It should be running and driving by the next time I get up there to work on it.

• 2 weeks later...

Well with my surgery being postponed and weather being in the 30's I've been sidelined for a little while.  I get easily spoiled with this NorCal weather.  Yesterday it was back to the 60's and I got back to work.  I also sold so many damn old parts on ebay that my paypal $$ was burning a whole in my digital pocket.  So i ordered Bilstein 5100's, new lift coils, Chevy truck shackles, etc for a nice mild 2" lift.  

I finalized my new transmission installation.  It's in and working!  I also installed neon injectors that I rebuilt.  Then I extended my tail light harnesses.  I used a bunch of wires I had laying around out of my spare parts bin to extend them.  It came out great:

Today I am FINALLY going to get my interior together.  I also will get the front end finished being put together.  I also am going to bleed and get my brakes going.  It might actually move on its own today! 

Another long day of work today.  I wired up some 4x6's in the stock location and patched them into the stock wiring harness.  Woohoo I have 4 crummy speakers to listen to. 

On another note I decided I am going to try and alter some old school style front fender flares to fit up front and match the back.  It seems a pretty easy chore.  I will report back with pictures once I get to it.

I got my door panels on and all my power windows/locks work as they should.  Tomorrow the interior goes in.  Pictures coming!

I finished putting the front end on today.  It looks great!  I sprayed the plastic grill and headlight bezels with krylon fusion and it looks fantastic:

More stuff coming tomorrow...

Today my brother fit the front old style fender flares, while I worked on the interior.  The flare IS NOT bolted on.  It is just resting in place.  I really like the look and am going to keep them:

As for the interior, I got everything but the seats done.  The mixed grays don't look so bad in person:

Today I had a little time and it's very nice out so I got the seats installed.

I am very happy with it overall.  It looks and smells like new.  I also got the front drive shaft installed and everything underneath mostly done.  I had to order a new drive shaft that I found in a junkyard in TN on car-part.com.  All I have left is to bleed the brakes, install shaft, and get tail lights installed.  Beyond that I need to locate a suffice rear bumper.  I'd love a stock one, but that's going to be pushing it.  I am contemplating an S10 or after market replacement for the meantime.