Amc V8 Swap Into Cherokee

Hi all. Havent been on this forum in a while, but had a few questions. I have a 93 XJ with a 4.0. I am looking to swap in an AMC v8, more than likely a 304, OR, a ChryCO 318 or 360 magnum (carbureated). I am just looking for any help on the subject. if I can remember correctly, someone on here has done a swap with the 304, and another with the 360. I am compltely AGAINST swapping in a chevrolet engine. For those of you that are going to suggest that, please don't bother. Yes, I know how much easier it is. No, I will not do it. If someone could direct me to a build thread on this subject i would greatly appreciate it. This will not be a stock engine. I am mainly interested in  information on wheather or not i can use my transmission, if anybody makes motor mounts, etc. How can i tell what transmission i have (I believe it is an AW4), and if it is any good? It is an auto without the comfort power option. P.S. this is a 2wd application. I am going SRT style with this. I know that the 304 and the 4.0L share the same bellhousing pattern. What is needed to mate them?

Thanks.

Hi all. Havent been on this forum in a while, but had a few questions. I have a 93 XJ with a 4.0. I am looking to swap in an AMC v8, more than likely a 304, OR, a ChryCO 318 or 360 magnum (carbureated). I am just looking for any help on the subject. if I can remember correctly, someone on here has done a swap with the 304, and another with the 360. I am compltely AGAINST swapping in a chevrolet engine. For those of you that are going to suggest that, please don't bother. Yes, I know how much easier it is. No, I will not do it. If someone could direct me to a build thread on this subject i would greatly appreciate it. This will not be a stock engine. I am mainly interested in  information on wheather or not i can use my transmission, if anybody makes motor mounts, etc. How can i tell what transmission i have (I believe it is an AW4), and if it is any good? It is an auto without the comfort power option. P.S. this is a 2wd application. I am going SRT style with this. I know that the 304 and the 4.0L share the same bellhousing pattern. What is needed to mate them?

Thanks.

Are you serious? Contemplating a V8 swap and you don't know what transmission you have? Suggest you do some homework.

You can almost bolt a 5.2/5.9 Magnum in using stock ZJ frame mounts. With a carb you will most likely need to cut the hood to clear the air cleaner. Look at the Black Betty build thread in my sig below for more ideas. I used a 46RH trans. It is a hyd trans and only needs the torque converter and overdrive powered to make it work like a stock trans. There are companies that make kits to make it work with a carb setup. The Magnum/46RH swap is very popular with the older Mopar crowd.

The AMC V8s used a Chrysler bellhousing bolt pattern starting in 1970, so the transmissions used behind the 4.0L will bolt right up. A friend built a 1948 Hudson street rod using an AMC 390 and an AX-15 from a Cherokee. It's a sweet package, but he's careful not to use all the power in the 390.

An AW4 should likewise bolt right up. IMHO the best engine for you would be a 360. The 390 and 401 were externally balanced, and you're not going to find a flex plate with the external balancing weights for a 390 or 401. The 360 heads have larger valves than the 304 -- you can't put the larger valves in a 304 because the bore is too small and you have an interference fit. The blocks are the same externally for all the AMC engines, so fitting a 360 into the engine bay is the same work as fitting the 304.

I'm sure a bunch of Mopar junkies will say it is blasphemy. But if you are going to put a V8 into one of these things. Put a GM LS-based motor in it. Novak makes everything you need to bolt-in and go. Or, you can make everything yourself. 

Dollar for dollar, you will be ahead of the game. 

I'm sure a bunch of Mopar junkies will say it is blasphemy. But if you are going to put a V8 into one of these things. Put a GM LS-based motor in it. Novak makes everything you need to bolt-in and go. Or, you can make everything yourself. 

Dollar for dollar, you will be ahead of the game. 

Did you read his opening post?

I am compltely AGAINST swapping in a chevrolet engine. For those of you that are going to suggest that, please don't bother. Yes, I know how much easier it is. No, I will not do it.

My MJ will get a V8 and one tons soon, but it'll be a magnum 5.9/46RE, I already have them sitting in the garage after scrapping two 5.9 ZJs, but I'm too dumb to figure out the wiring so they're going to sit there for now.....Yes, its much easier to do a 5.3 LS, and common sense says go GM.  Novak makes bolt on motor mounts, they produce awesome power and get really good mileage for a v8 and there are turn key harnesses available in the aftermarket.  Its tempting for sure, I say if you don't mind the cross pollination then go GM.  I wouldn't but I can't blame anyone who does, its a nice power plant.  Just don't go old school carbureted SBC, that went out in 75'...old SBCs devalue any Jeep IMO. 

The AMC V8s used a Chrysler bellhousing bolt pattern starting in 1970, so the transmissions used behind the 4.0L will bolt right up. A friend built a 1948 Hudson street rod using an AMC 390 and an AX-15 from a Cherokee. It's a sweet package, but he's careful not to use all the power in the 390.

An AW4 should likewise bolt right up. IMHO the best engine for you would be a 360. The 390 and 401 were externally balanced, and you're not going to find a flex plate with the external balancing weights for a 390 or 401. The 360 heads have larger valves than the 304 -- you can't put the larger valves in a 304 because the bore is too small and you have an interference fit. The blocks are the same externally for all the AMC engines, so fitting a 360 into the engine bay is the same work as fitting the 304.

Wait what? AMC V8 has the same pattern as '72 up AMC 6 cyls, not any Chrysler motor. I'm bolting an AW4 to my 401 I just got yesterday (wrapped up in an '82 Wagoneer body I gave my buddy for the paperwork cost. It's getting a carbed 4.0L and AW4 with NV242 and the 727 is going behind my 304 in my '68 Travelall with a Dodge NP208, but I digress) The 401 is going into my '83 Honcho stepside.

'96 is the WORST year for wiring problems due to Chrysler playing mixnmatch with sensors for OBDII

AMC changed from using Borg-Warner automatic transmissions to Chrysler in 1970. It was my understanding that they changed the bellhousing bolt pattern when they made that change.

What I know for a fact is that my friend bolted a junkyard AX-15 to a brand-new AMC crate motor for his Hudson. So, regardless of what the bolt pattern is or where it came from, the XJ/MJ transmissions will bolt up to any AMC engine newer than 1970. I don't know about the 68 and 69 engines.

AMC has its own tranny bolt pattern... they sourced tourqflight trannys from cryco after 70 but with AMC bolt pattern, just like they used gm th400 trannys in Jeep..but yes with AMC bolt pattern. AMC V8 engines do not use cryco bolt pattern for the tranny.. and any AMC/Jeep  was AMC when cryco bought them, so the AX15 was what AMC used and it would of course have the AMC bolt pattern, it has nothing to do with Cryco. the AW4 is also an AMC sourced tranny... not cryco.

Thanks.

I like the way your thinking as far as the AMC v8 idea... I hope you stay with that thought and keep your AMC all AMC..after all the XJ and MJ are AMC ,not cryco..they were just bought by cryco.. I don't have any info to help you on the swap but I like it. Imay do the same some day