Chrome Step Bumper....found?....maybe

CommaComanche

I just ordered my bumper from FactoryChryslerParts.com...It almost seemed way too easy. I found the part number for the chrome step bumper in a thread on this site. Did a quick google search and bam. Found it. As far as I can see from the listing it is an OEM bumper. The same one that was offered on the Laredo Comanche. It isn't clear if it is NOS. But, does that really matter if it is OEM and never used? It wasn't cheap. But if its the real deal...It'll be worth it.

Let us know how this turns out (how long it takes for you to get it, if all parts are there, condition, etc) and post up some pics. Would be a lot easier to replace my bumper rather than try to get it unbent. It isn't horrible and could be used, but missing an end cap and being bent I'd be willing to spend a bit more and just have a new one. Would be worth it to stay stock looking rather than go my other route which is off-road style bumpers from JCR.

http://www.factorychryslerparts.com/ lists nearly the entire MJ parts database on their site and never updates it. I seriously doubt they have one. Of course miracles can happen. I hope so.

EDIT:  Yes, I just found it, quantity one. It is for a Laredo so if they do have it in stock it comes with the silver end caps. Also the brackets, step plates, wiring, and marker lights are included. Good luck.

While looking through that site I have some reservations about the bumper because if you look at the product fitment/application section for it they say it fits comanche, cherokee, grand waggy, and wrangler. I did see though that they have the rear slider window lock assemblies which I know alot of us have broken ones.

No dice. Just woke up and have an email from them saying they will refund my money in 3 to 7 days. That really sucks. Oh well... Was worth a shot. The good news? I work for Chrysler and talked to one of my supervisors yesterday about tracking down the parts. He told me that I have access to a database from my computer at work that might be able to help me. He also said if I can't find it that way to talk to one of the material supervisors because he might be able to help. The last resort would be to talk to the plant manager. He's got friends in high places. I am determined to track down a Loredo chrome step bumper.

I just called Parkway Chrysler Dodge Jeep and talked to a guy in the parts department. He ran a search for me and said that they don't have one and there isn't a dealer in the country that does. If there truly are still 23 in storage some where chrysler is not giving them to their dealers. But, he did give me something that might be useful. Or maybe not. When he typed in part number 82200988 the system turned it into 82200988AB. Don't know if that matters or not but I figure any more information can't hurt. I'll talk to the material supervisor today at work and see what he can do. Maybe I will even be able to get a whole 30 seconds with the plant manager. I'll let you guys know what happens.

eh go figure. I'd love to get my hands on one of those ones Pat claims exists, but no matter how many times I have hounded my local dealers in the past, it's always the same story that MJ parts just don't exist anymore.

I'd assume the OEM was just Jeep since it's basically just a simple "C" shaped piece of stamped metal and came on the trucks from the factory.

I just called Parkway Chrysler Dodge Jeep and talked to a guy in the parts department. He ran a search for me and said that they don't have one and there isn't a dealer in the country that does. If there truly are still 23 in storage some where chrysler is not giving them to their dealers. But, he did give me something that might be useful. Or maybe not. When he typed in part number 82200988 the system turned it into 82200988AB. Don't know if that matters or not but I figure any more information can't hurt. I'll talk to the material supervisor today at work and see what he can do. Maybe I will even be able to get a whole 30 seconds with the plant manager. I'll let you guys know what happens.

P/n 82200988 had the drilled mounting holes in the bumper for the black license plate light guards, p/n 82200988AB did not.

P/n 82200988 had the drilled mounting holes in the bumper for the black license plate light guards, p/n 82200988AB did not.

Always drooling every time i see your mj! Such a clean, good lookin truck!  :bowdown:

Always drooling every time i see your mj! Such a clean, good lookin truck!  :bowdown:

Thank you kind Sir!  :cheers:

Just talked to the material supervisor... He said to get him the part number and he will give it to his guys up stairs in their air conditioned offices... He says if they do indeed exist in storage somewhere he will find out where. 

I'd be happy just to find a stock black bumper in great shape.

I have a stock chrome step with just a minor trailer hitch ball dent in it.

Didnt realize they were that rare

No rarer than any other rear MJ bumper, including the factory tube bumper.

I'd be happy just to find a stock black bumper in great shape.

I have a stock chrome step with just a minor trailer hitch ball dent in it.

Didnt realize they were that rare

Think that dent could be pounded out? 

It's just a small hitch ball dent. Don't see why not.

Just saw a listing at Pick N Pull, in nor-cal, 88 on the lot today, 87 about a month ago. planning on going up on saturday to see what i can find. its only a 100 mile trip each way. going to call tomorrow and see what they have.

I've got a Fey rear chrome bumper in the attic.  I'd let it go for what I paid for it plus shipping.  Can't find my pic of it but either way, I'd prefer it go to someone who could use it....just sitting in my attic now.  I know I posted a pic of it somewhere here, but I can't find it...oh well...