Mj Hood Options & Ideas

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Paint it!

C5dEcH1.jpg

I plan to paint it... I'm thinking bigger if I'm going to do paint work.  For example on my trail rig (Scrambler) I made my own heat-reduction hood and added a 64 Corvair fuel door for access to my battery switch.  The bodyworks not the best...but it's a trail rig.  I was painting over hand painted camo....

in process: 

From afar:

Fiberglass. There are a few places around still making glass XJ hoods (and cheaper too), but no more steel cowl hoods. The fiberglass hoods eventually crack from movement and usually don't fit too well. Glass is okay for stationary fenders and side body panels, but not real durable for use as a moving part.

http://usbodysource.com/

Scroll all they way top the bottom on the left side and it should say comanche.

Those are the "Dominator" hood......... absolute crap.  I had one....... it was 3/4" too short and 1/2" too narrow.  Fit was terrible.  The hood arc was way off in relation to the tops of the fenders. Front corners were high, not enough arc across to keep it level with the header panel in any adjustment combination.

tfch-3_cherokee_84-96_xj_dominator_hood_

http://usbodysource.com/

Scroll all they way top the bottom on the left side and it should say comanche.

Those are the "Dominator" hood......... absolute crap.  I had one....... it was 3/4" too short and 1/2" too narrow.  Fit was terrible.  The hood arc was way off in relation to the tops of the fenders. Front corners were high, not enough arc across to keep it level with the header panel in any adjustment combination.

tfch-3_cherokee_84-96_xj_dominator_hood_

What did you do with it?

Sorry to hyjack the thread.........

But here is a link to the story behind the '46 Olds in my garage:  http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=244163032&postcount=4

Here's a pic from the last time she was roadworthy.  Unfortunately, brake hydraulics, radiator and knee-action shocks are all blown..... and the engine lost a valve retainer so she sits until I can do what I have planned.....

I think its funny that there is talk of fiberglass fitment being poor, yet everyone seems to be cool with not being able to open the hood because it hits the wiper. That to me is a big problem. How annoying. I don't know about you guys, but I am big on maintaining my ride and usually have my hood open at least once a week be it to check fluids, tinker, check all clearances, or just peek for the sheer point of it. The fit of a fiber hood would bug me, but my hood hitting the wiper before it reaches the hood latch hole would drive me INSANE......

I have no idea were the hood vents I have came from, but I like them. Only comment I would make is if you have done a 97+ swap you should mount them closer to grill or do like I did and build a cover for your TPS sensor. Mine would fail every time it would rain heavy or sit out in the rain for a few hours. No big deal, I had a spare in the glove box at all times. Then one day in Moab we got caught in a thunder and lighting storm and it went out. That was just super sketchy, flash flooding running like rivers down the trails and lighting overhead. Not cool. Went home and built a little cover for the TPS and has not failed since.

TPS cover/shield...

My vents. They seem to be good quality. Nice hardware that has not rusted and no cracks in the material....

She is truly beautiful and I'd recognize that Olds grille anywhere. My Grandpa was similar to yours in vehicle tastes except his was a 48 4-door. First car I ever drove by myself when I was 11 years old. A worthy thread hijack and a great story. Best wishes getting this rare Series 66 fastback roadworthy.   :cheers:

I think its funny that there is talk of fiberglass fitment being poor, yet everyone seems to be cool with not being able to open the hood because it hits the wiper. That to me is a big problem. How annoying. I don't know about you guys, but I am big on maintaining my ride and usually have my hood open at least once a week be it to check fluids, tinker, check all clearances, or just peek for the sheer point of it. The fit of a fiber hood would bug me, but my hood hitting the wiper before it reaches the hood latch hole would drive me INSANE......

I have no idea were the hood vents I have came from, but I like them. Only comment I would make is if you have done a 97+ swap you should mount them closer to grill or do like I did and build a cover for your TPS sensor. Mine would fail every time it would rain heavy or sit out in the rain for a few hours. No big deal, I had a spare in the glove box at all times. Then one day in Moab we got caught in a thunder and lighting storm and it went out. That was just super sketchy, flash flooding running like rivers down the trails and lighting overhead. Not cool. Went home and built a little cover for the TPS and has not failed since.

I can put up with 30 seconds of removing the right wiper arm to open the hood fully when I need to. I think it's funny that someone can tolerate poor fitment. That's very annoying. I wouldn't put up with it as there is no cure and most glass hoods flat don't fit right. To each his own. This would drive me INSANE spending $$ on junk the doesn't come close to fitting.

The Reflexxion cowl hood fits the body seams as well as a stock hood. Mostly I leave the right wiper arm off unless I need it, and you can pop it on stupid easily. Hood vents IMO do little for engine cooling, but look cool in some applications, as long as the H2O entry isn't excessive.

As I recall, that Reflexion hood was originally made to fit right hand drive XJ's and there are no wiper issues with those vehicles.  It's when got marketed to the US that the issue became known....... and by then, production was very near the end. 

Pretty sure that Marcus "gojeep" in Australia bought that hood and had no issues on his right hand drive rig.  I think in a thread he started on his website, he had an American figure out that the wiper arm from the late model ('97+) XJ's interferes less than the earlier ones. :dunno: