axle type?

Maybe I'll narrow it down as that's an overwhelming list...

The 4wd front axle on ALL MJs is the high-pinion Dana 30.

For your 88 year, the rear axle is most likely a D35, but potentially a D44.

If your rear axle's cover is egg-shaped it is a D35. If it is the retarded diamond (see pictures...) then it is a D44.

Ha! Well I made a stupid mistake (corrected now) of putting the D30 next to the D44... duh! Of course the d30 is front and you're probably wondering about rear...

So question is, is there more than a remote possiblity that something other than a D35 or D44 is under his comanche? Like were they made with AMC20s ever... reason being he doesn't have to compare like, the Ford 7.5" shape for example...

So question is, is there more than a remote possiblity that something other than a D35 or D44 is under his comanche? Like were they made with AMC20s ever... reason being he doesn't have to compare like, the Ford 7.5" shape for example...

Unless it isn't factory, no.

The Eaton 20 was only in 86. Otherwise they're D35s or D44s.

FWIW, South America export versions optionally have D44 fronts. (At least on XJs) But I doubt we'll see that.

FWIW, South America export versions optionally have D44 fronts. (At least on XJs) But I doubt we'll see that.

No, they don't. XJs built in Venezuela for their local market had dana 44 fronts. The rest of South America got XJs and MJs right of the same assembly lines in the US of A that ours came from. I know that to be the case because my wife is from Chile and I have a friend in Chile who owns an XJ. And there are a LOT of older XJs down there I've looked over pretty carefully.

Another urban legend ... down the tubes.

No, they don't. XJs built in Venezuela for their local market had dana 44 fronts. The rest of South America got XJs and MJs right of the same assembly lines in the US of A that ours came from. I know that to be the case because my wife is from Chile and I have a friend in Chile who owns an XJ. And there are a LOT of older XJs down there I've looked over pretty carefully.

Another urban legend ... down the tubes.

Okay, well, it was only ones from venezuela that I'd ever seen. I actually assumed that all of the S. America ones were built there. Meh.

Here is a pic of a 20 in a MJ, only avalible in 1986 from the factory and even then only on the one ton version:

Here is a D44 cover. (If you sharp, you will notice this is actually a FRONT cover. by the position of the fill plug.):

Image Not Found

Here is a D44 in a MJ:

Image Not Found

Here is a D35 "C" Clip cover (Not avalible till aft 1990):

Image Not Found

And lastly here is a NON "C" Clip cover in a MJ (This is most likely what you have):

Image Not Found

These are all the possible FACTORY options for rear axles you could have in your truck.

If someone swapped in another axle along the way, well we couldn't possibly know. If you can post up a pic and then we will tell you exactly what you have.

CW

So, visually can you tell the difference from a C-clip or a non- C-clip based on the diff cover? It looks like the non C-clip is sharper between the two photos (the extrusion of the C-clip seems more rounded)... is this just paint or a visual effect, or is it an externall identifiable feature?

Okay, well, it was only ones from venezuela that I'd ever seen. I actually assumed that all of the S. America ones were built there. Meh.

So did I. I was totally shocked the first time I crawled under Miguel's XJ and saw a Dana 30. And a Chrysler 8.25 rear. Then I asked him about the stories of all the South American XJs all having D44s all around and he told me that was only the ones built in Venezuela. Still as stupid as usual, I then asked him where the heck his XJ came from, and he said "Off a boat. It was built in the same factory yours was."

The interesting thing for me (beyond that revelation) is that almost every XJ (and the two MJs) I've seen in Chile had the factory hidden winch option. Apparently any SUV-type vehicle in Chile with a winch on the front gets taxed as a "work truck" rather than a family car and the difference in fees is significant. I've never seen a hidden winch in the U.S. but down there I see them in the parking lot at the market on a regular basis.

The non-C-clip is technically better, but only because when you snap the axle shaft, the tire will still be attached to the truck and not wander away. :D

And someone can correct me here, but I think the older axle should have the rubber plug in the cover and the later axles should the threaded steel fill plug, yes? Don't know if it directly corresponds with the C-clips, but I'm betting all the rubber plug axles are non-C-clip

I'm a little confused about the clip and non clip and the plugs. 35C indicates clip right?

Here is the axle in the 88 MJ. It came from a YJ (not sure of year) and has 35C on it and a rubber plug.

Now here is the pic of the axle in the 89 XJ I'm using for parts. It has 35C and a steel plug.

:hmm:

I'm a little confused about the clip and non clip and the plugs. 35C indicates clip right?

Nope. They're all 35c.

The 'C' stands for "Customer," and it was Dana-Spicer's way of denoting an axle that was shipped partially assembled, for "Customer completion."

The older ones have the threaded pipe plug, the newer ones have the rubber plug.