Mj Windows To Late 90S Xj Windows

I'd swap the doors. You gain the bigger windows and the newer style latch after doing the mod. But I hate screwing around inside the doors too much, swapped some vent windows once and decided never again. So I may be a tad bit biased.

You have to change the striker on the actual truck to the newer style. I can't say how hard that is exactly but it has been done plenty of times by others if you do spoke searching. I know the newer style ones just bolt on.

• 4 months later...

To bring this thread back to life... What if one did not want the newer style interior panels?  Or can you use an early panel on a late door?  I'd be very interested to hear from someone who has tried putting the late one piece glass into an early door.

You have to change the striker on the actual truck to the newer style. I can't say how hard that is exactly but it has been done plenty of times by others if you do spoke searching. I know the newer style ones just bolt on.

Yeah -- after you make a bunch of careful measurements, drill new holes in the door post, and remove the interior behind the door post to get a new backing plate in there for the new latch post to bolt up to.

Piece of cake. NOT!

Yeah unless you get doors from a early 97 with the old latches it won't just bolt on..but you still need to fix the latch. Personally I will probably just try to swap the tracks this coming summer. That or get vent windows.

Not so. Any 97+ door will bolt right up to the old style hinge. And it really is a piece of cake. Ive done the swap on my old 96 XJ and my 92 MJ. If *I* can do it, you gotta know it's easy.

Yes they will bolt to the hinges, that's not the hard part. The hard part is getting the striker lined up and positioned correctly on the pillar so when the door is closed it will latch and stay closed. Swapping the tracks is not an easy job either, would be easier to swap the striker than the tracks.

Yes they will bolt to the hinges, that's not the hard part. The hard part is getting the striker lined up and positioned correctly on the pillar so when the door is closed it will latch and stay closed. Swapping the tracks is not an easy job either, would be easier to swap the striker than the tracks.

Maybe easier for some people, others might consider the track modification easier. But ...

Unless you're an expert body workers, the striker replacement/relocation is a kludge that mangles the door post and will always be instantly visible and obvious any time the door is opened. That's not a consideration for some people, and it's a major consideration for other people.

Yeah unless you get doors from a early 97 with the old latches it won't just bolt on..but you still need to fix the latch. Personally I will probably just try to swap the tracks this coming summer. That or get vent windows.

Not so. Any 97+ door will bolt right up to the old style hinge. And it really is a piece of cake. Ive done the swap on my old 96 XJ and my 92 MJ. If *I* can do it, you gotta know it's easy.

Sorry I misspoke, er typed, I mean if he gets 97 doors they have the same hinge as the MJ's...so doorless mod, and fixing the hinge and bamb he's done.