How The Eff Do You Remove The Rubber From The Front Bump Stop Cups...

Just like the title says, how in the hell do you get the factory rubber bump stops out of the metal cup to install extended ones?  I just bought some Daystar 4" extended stops (2" diameter) and I have basically ripped the hell out of the OEM rubber ones attempting to remove them.  It's like it was glued or cast into the metal cup thing.  Should I just bust out the torch and fry these M-effers?

You don't remove the rubber from the cups -- you unscrew the cups from the tower.

I did that, but I need to remove the OEM rubber to be able to stick the Daystar ones in... However, I have found out that my '88 has the ones that are molded into the metal cups and cannot be removed without a lot of hacking and torching.  The newer ones just twist/pull out like 87manch1 said...  So I will be taking a hole saw and going to town.  Will have to torch the rest of what remains.

pair of chanel locks grab the metal right above the rubber and simply unscrew it. when you put new coils in u will have to kinda fish it up with your fingers in between the spring coils.

I've already unscrewed the old cups... that wasn't the issue I was having.  The issue was that I didn't know that on the Renix years, the rubber was an integral part of the whole bump stop, meaning, I didn't know it was fused/molded/permanently attached to the metal cup that screws out from the coil post.  I know the thing screws out.  I've had them out a million times, but I wanted to put in the Daystar extended stops.  They look just like the ones that are two posts above, except they don't have the bolts on the end.  It's ok, I took a hole saw and torn the living hell out of the rubber and the rest that's stuck in there is getting a torch this afternoon.

• 8 years later...