Going To Look At An '86

GirsMJ86

I'm going to be looking at an '86 in the morning and I'm looking for input on stuff to check. Typical for these parts the asking price is too high so I want to make sure I examine this thing under a microscope. Help me complete my inspection list.

Stuff I know:

1986 LWB 2.8L 4x4 5spd 164k miles

Claims the 2.8 was rebuilt 30k ago, but unless there is paperwork I won't believe that for a second

It has been sitting since fall, in the middle of a wooded area. Last time it was used was to haul firewood

Holley fuel injection with Edelbrock intake manifold and valve covers

Brake booster and MC was replaced within the last 5yrs

Has rust, just not sure how bad until I see it

First thing is first. Yank up the carpet and check the floors! :thumbsup:

Test drive for at least 15 minutes, varying speed and acceleration and make sure all gears work, especially 5th.  Check for leaky clutch master cylinder, check engine, trans., and underneath for leaking fluids, put 10 bucks of gas in it before you drive too far to keep from sucking settled junk into the fuel pump, check all those vacuum hoses for dry rot and cracks, definitely pull carpet, etc.  And last but not least, be prepared to walk away if/when it's not worth it...

Check for rods sticking out of the block-known 2.8 problem.

look inside the crankcase as best you can, make sure it looks clean inside. 

Look for unhooked vacuum lines. The 2.8 has about 5 million different vacuum lines, and if its the original motor and some are undone it could be problematic

Check the trans gravel plate for oil, back of the engine for oil

why check for anything? regardless of it's condition your going to be constantly spending money on it and replacing parts FOR-EVER, lol, that's just the nature of this game.  you will either like it or you won't.  my 2 best mj's i bought having never heard them run. 

why check for anything? regardless of it's condition your going to be constantly spending money on it and replacing parts FOR-EVER, lol, that's just the nature of this game.  you will either like it or you won't.  my 2 best mj's i bought having never heard them run. 

Why check for anything? Because I'm a broke college kid who will need it to be a daily driver. This would be my 4th MJ, 5th Jeep truck, and 8th vehicle. I don't mind working on them, but it needs to run and drive without major issues at least until school starts back up again in August. Trust me, I'm in one of the worst possible areas for buying used vehicles from private sellers. They all think their $500 vehicle is worth several thousand and it is the heart of the rust belt so that makes things even worse. Unless I was just buying something as a parts rig, I would not buy something without hearing it run around here. I've seen more rednecked together vehicles around here than I care to. Can't go a day without seeing someone driving around with their exhaust hanging out from under the vehicle, mismatched replacement body panels, 2x10s used as (front) bumpers, smashed in front ends without any headlights. I just don't get how people around here get by with the stuff I've seen.

But anyways, thanks for the list of stuff guys. I suppose I should try to find a vac diagram for that 2.8L, but even then I could be there all day checking that tangled mess.

Why check for anything? Because I'm a broke college kid who will need it to be a daily driver. This would be my 4th MJ, 5th Jeep truck, and 8th vehicle. I don't mind working on them, but it needs to run and drive without major issues at least until school starts back up again in August. Trust me, I'm in one of the worst possible areas for buying used vehicles from private sellers. They all think their $500 vehicle is worth several thousand and it is the heart of the rust belt so that makes things even worse. Unless I was just buying something as a parts rig, I would not buy something without hearing it run around here. I've seen more rednecked together vehicles around here than I care to. Can't go a day without seeing someone driving around with their exhaust hanging out from under the vehicle, mismatched replacement body panels, 2x10s used as (front) bumpers, smashed in front ends without any headlights. I just don't get how people around here get by with the stuff I've seen.

But anyways, thanks for the list of stuff guys. I suppose I should try to find a vac diagram for that 2.8L, but even then I could be there all day checking that tangled mess.

If you need a reliable dd i'd look somewhere other than an mj with a 2.8. Mine is my ONLY vehicle, and i've spent more than one week shelling out gas money to whoever could give me a ride to work and back. just a thought.

Oh I know how bad the 2.8L is, had one once before, but it's not enough to scare me away so long as it runs ok. So long as it lasts until August I'll be happy, then I can start a 4.0L swap or keep driving it till it dies. When I say dd though that actually means like... driven once a week, if that, and even less once back in school since I'll be on campus pretty much 24/7. I just want another MJ, decided the Vic is just too big for my taste even if it is impressive, just have no use for a 4dr boat.

Check to see if the clutch master has leaked into the back of the fuse box. Happened with my '86 and it is a major PITA.

this,   the best advice i've seen on this thread.   there's no fuse boxes at napa, lol.

I got a rust free 86 ill sell ya. probably in better shape than one in the rust belt lol

I'm sure it is. I'd also wager it would be out of my price range, not including getting it. Lol

Check to see if the clutch master has leaked into the back of the fuse box. Happened with my '86 and it is a major PITA.

No leaky clutch master that I noticed, but it decided to rain on us so didn't look it over as well as I had liked to. Going to go back on a dry day to check it out better since it was sitting in soupy mud. It looks like a promising project truck. Has some rust through starting in the common areas. Black interior that needs a bit of work, factory roll bar, chrome everything but with steelies, Command-Trac, Holley 2D injection, electric fan. It definitely appeared to have a rebuilt engine because all the vac lines were new and there were a lot of spliced wires that needed cleaned up. The paint is peeling pretty bad along the bed sides. Just the typical Ohio symptoms.

Have a few others to look at around the state, and at least one might be a potential trade for my P71. I'll have to just see and compare. Or if my P71 sells soon enough, I might be making a road trip to Miami, FL soon to get a '51 IH pickup. So I could find a better rig anywhere between Ohio and there to buy.