86 Comanche Questions

Valve covers, intake, timing cover, oil pan. If theyre good all the accessories, tbi engines use a serp belt instead of the v belts. If you want pm me and ill send you any relevant pics, info, etc you want. Also keep all the vacuum components, thats the biggest headache youll have

i have an issue with the timing cover, i couldn't get the one off the engine i pulled today so is it ok if i keep that one on the "new" engine or do i have to use the one off the carbd engine?

Redwolf

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Valve covers, intake, timing cover, oil pan. If theyre good all the accessories, tbi engines use a serp belt instead of the v belts. If you want pm me and ill send you any relevant pics, info, etc you want. Also keep all the vacuum components, thats the biggest headache youll have

How about posting any info here? I've already done a '85 S10 swap into a '86 MJ but that was no sweat. Both Vbelts. I'm getting ready to swap a '93 2.8 from a S10 into a another '86 MJ. Would like to get as much info on it as possible.

How about posting any info here? I've already done a '85 S10 swap into a '86 MJ but that was no sweat. Both Vbelts. I'm getting ready to swap a '93 2.8 from a S10 into a another '86 MJ. Would like to get as much info on it as possible.

Basically thats all there is to it. The intake, valve covers, timing cover,water pump, and oil pan are different on the tbi engines. Oh and the motor mounts are different. Bolt to the engine the same, but the mj's frame mounts are different than the others iirc.

Basically the only parts you can use from the newer engines without swapping everything for the tbi in is the block, heads, and internals. Take lots of pictures of all the electrical plugs and vacuum routings because theyre pretty complex.

Looked through all my pics, and don't have any that really show the differences between the two, but if you pay attention to that, the differences are hard to miss. 

Basically thats all there is to it. The intake, valve covers, timing cover,water pump, and oil pan are different on the tbi engines. Oh and the motor mounts are different. Bolt to the engine the same, but the mj's frame mounts are different than the others iirc.

Basically the only parts you can use from the newer engines without swapping everything for the tbi in is the block, heads, and internals. Take lots of pictures of all the electrical plugs and vacuum routings because theyre pretty complex.

Looked through all my pics, and don't have any that really show the differences between the two, but if you pay attention to that, the differences are hard to miss. 

well i can't get the hermonic balencer off because i aint got the tool for it and me and my dad have been lookin at the blocks side by side and they look exactly alike same bolt pattern for the water pump too,

Redwolf

well i can't get the hermonic balencer off because i aint got the tool for it and me and my dad have been lookin at the blocks side by side and they look exactly alike same bolt pattern for the water pump too,

Redwolf

I pulled mine with a wheel puller. you can rent them from oreilly's autozone, etc. Does the new engine have a serp belt or v belts? If its the serp belt then i guarantee that you'll have to change it

well I'm just telling you my experience with it, and i JUST finished that exact swap. One water pump spins backwards, and the difference is not noticable until you try to put the right pump on the wrong timing cover. don't believe me then just spend the money and find out for yourself.

well I'm just telling you my experience with it, and i JUST finished that exact swap. One water pump spins backwards, and the difference is not noticable until you try to put the right pump on the wrong timing cover. don't believe me then just spend the money and find out for yourself.

i'm just trying to figure out how one timin cover spins one way and another spins the other way, that just makes no sense,

Redwolf

i'm just trying to figure out how one timin cover spins one way and another spins the other way, that just makes no sense,

Redwolf

The timing cover doesnt spin. The water pumps spin, and they are bolted to the timing cover. With v belts everything spins the exact same as the crank pulley. With a serpentine belt, differnet accessories can spin different directions, depending on the routing of the belt. The newer engines use serpentine belts, and so the water pump on the new engine spins opposite of the water pump on your old engine. The water pump from the engine with v belts has a different bolt pattern than the water pump from the new engine. The correct water pump will not work on the newer timing cover. 

Yea, old cover will fit on the new engine. Aside from what i said to keep, take LOTS of pics, keep them organized and labeled if possible, and don't get rid of anything until your mj runs and drives without any issues. Theres not too many of us rockin the 2.8 anymore, and it was only made with a carb for 3 years, so keep everything till your completely done!

Yea, old cover will fit on the new engine. Aside from what i said to keep, take LOTS of pics, keep them organized and labeled if possible, and don't get rid of anything until your mj runs and drives without any issues. Theres not too many of us rockin the 2.8 anymore, and it was only made with a carb for 3 years, so keep everything till your completely done!

i plan on keepin everything untill it's runin 100% anyhow specially since all my stuff is in good shape, just everything AC related is being ripped out since i don't believe in havin AC plus all my vehicles in my family line have never had AC untill my mother bought a 2012 jeep liberty, and it's too late for my to take pictures because everything is discounted, wires, hoses, everything,

Redwolf

That may make it harder to do the swap. Start build thread and start taking pics as you go along, it will help if you have any problems re assembilling everything

the wires are what's gonna be the hard part cause we have the hoses still connected to everything that aint mounted on the engine block, plus i have that diagram under the hood and the haynes manual for my MJ and if all else fails between those two, i have everyone here on the forums :)

Redwolf

i went down to my family's normal state inspector and he told be where the neutral safety switch would be but when i look under my MJ where it says on the LH side of the transfer case i see the backup light switch, the haynes manual is saying they where built as one, could that be true for manual trans or just automatics? 

Redwolf

'86 does not have one. Back up/shift indicator is as fancy as they got

ok, to the average state inspector if they see the back up light switch would they think it's the neutral safety switch as well?

Redwolf

'86 does not have one. Back up/shift indicator is as fancy as they got

ok, to the average state inspector if they see the back up light switch would they think it's the neutral safety switch as well?

Redwolf

I would hope not. I would be looking for a different inspector.

I don't know if it was this thread or another one where I said this before, but:

Manual transmission Jeeps did not get a neutral safety switch until 1997.

Edit: Swiss cheese memory strikes again. I meant clutch switch. AFAIK no manual transmission on a Jeep ever had a NSS.

i read more into my haynes manual and found out that the neutral safety switch was built into the backup light switch for automatic transmissions, i know jeep didn't start usin clutch safety switches till 1997 but is it alway neutral safety switch that they started usin in 97 as well?

Redwolf