86 Comanche Questions

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

State inspectors obviously don't know jack and have never dealt with a stick shift before.

neither do the state troopers cause my father emailed em and they said it'll fail, so now i'm tryin to get an owners manual for my 86 MJ without buyin it from ebay,

Redwolf

I think you need to start going farther up the ladder with this inspection thing. The people you are dealing with have no clue what they are talking about. You CAN NOT be failed for something your vehicle was not built with or not required to have when it was manufactured. Either these people or you may just be getting lost or confused about terminology for certain parts. Are we talking about a true auto trans style nuetral safety switch which allows the engine to only be started in park or nuetral, or are we talking about the reverse light switch, which has nothing to do with the manual trans being in nuetral. Are your reverse lights working, and if not, is that the reason they are failing you and they are calling it a nuetral safety switch??? Something isnt right here. I hope we can help you figure this out.

I think you need to start going farther up the ladder with this inspection thing. The people you are dealing with have no clue what they are talking about. You CAN NOT be failed for something your vehicle was not built with or not required to have when it was manufactured. Either these people or you may just be getting lost or confused about terminology for certain parts. Are we talking about a true auto trans style nuetral safety switch which allows the engine to only be started in park or nuetral, or are we talking about the reverse light switch, which has nothing to do with the manual trans being in nuetral. Are your reverse lights working, and if not, is that the reason they are failing you and they are calling it a nuetral safety switch??? Something isnt right here. I hope we can help you figure this out.

we're talkin bout the auto trans style nuetral safety switch whitch if ya can start in any other gear than park or nuetral ya fail, every inspector says it has one and they all say i have a clutch safety switch as well but nothin in my haynes manual says that for the manual trans nor can i find anything on my MJ that even resembles one of the two, who would be higher on the inspection chain than the state police inspection office?

Redwolf

I have the manual for one of my 87s floating around here somewhere, but I do not believe it mentions the presence or absence of a neutral safety switch anywhere.

if it's the same manual for the 86 (i don't know how jeep did owners manuals back then) can ya scan the whole book and email it to me?

Redwolf

Yes a 2.8V6 from a GM vehicle will fit (It may have to be a rear wheel drive one, though, not sure on that.). 3.1 and 3.4 will also work since they use the same block. Buick 3800 will bolt up to the transmission, but don't know about the motor mounts. The 3800 will also eat that manual transmission for breakfast, so may not be the best choice.

A number of people have swapped in a 3.1 using the 2.8 carburetor set up. A 3.4 will kind of work with the 2.8 carburetor but needs something larger at high rpms.

the buick 3800 is not a bolt-on to the transmission nor the motor mounts, and the ax5, ax4, and auto trans cannot take the power. it's a 60 degree mounting pattern on the bell housing, but you have to notch and move the starter hump in order to ensure that you can mount the starter.

I would NOT swap a 2.8 for a 2.8. And I sure as hell wouldn't leave the carb....even if you go TBI injection from an 80s s10 with a 2.8, you gain a TON. and it's only a 5 wire system if you just lay over the engine harness to make it run.

the biggest issue with the 2.8 IS THE CARB and also the EMISSIONS HOSES.

get rid of those, you improve it alot.

put a 3.4 in it, out of an early 90's camaro or firebird, with the fuel injection off of it, and get similar power to the 4.0

Yes a 2.8V6 from a GM vehicle will fit (It may have to be a rear wheel drive one, though, not sure on that.). 3.1 and 3.4 will also work since they use the same block. Buick 3800 will bolt up to the transmission, but don't know about the motor mounts. The 3800 will also eat that manual transmission for breakfast, so may not be the best choice.

A number of people have swapped in a 3.1 using the 2.8 carburetor set up. A 3.4 will kind of work with the 2.8 carburetor but needs something larger at high rpms.

the buick 3800 is not a bolt-on to the transmission nor the motor mounts, and the ax5, ax4, and auto trans cannot take the power. it's a 60 degree mounting pattern on the bell housing, but you have to notch and move the starter hump in order to ensure that you can mount the starter.

I would NOT swap a 2.8 for a 2.8. And I sure as hell wouldn't leave the carb....even if you go TBI injection from an 80s s10 with a 2.8, you gain a TON. and it's only a 5 wire system if you just lay over the engine harness to make it run.

put a 3.4 in it, out of an early 90's camaro or firebird, with the fuel injection off of it, and get similar power to the 4.0

little late for that, a 2.8 was all i could find that'd fit in my MJ, i'm keepin the carb cause i already have all the parts for it and brand new emissions tubes and check valves

Redwolf

little late for that, a 2.8 was all i could find that'd fit in my MJ, i'm keepin the carb cause i already have all the parts for it and brand new emissions tubes and check valves

Redwolf

well, i hope that you don't plan on using 5th gear, or getting better than 14mpg.

Redwolf

well, i hope that you don't plan on using 5th gear, or getting better than 14mpg.

i don't, i'll be lucky to get into 4th around where i live

Redwolf

Redwolf

I use 5th gear in my 2.8 quite often, and I'm getting 16ish city and highway mixed

I drove a 2.8. The only way I was able to get anything better than 13mpg was to ditch 100% of vacuum emissions B.S., then tune out the carb as best as you can...it's garbage from the get-go.

Ended up doing an edelbrock 4bbl intake manifold with holley 390cfm carb. got 16mpg tops out of that. Ended up ditching it all for a buick 3800 v6.

There is nothing good about a gm 2.8l. never has been, never will be.

i'm installin my engine this weekend so i'm lookin for everything i need to make it pass inspection, i have no air cleaner intake hose, i can find em at advance, autozone, napa, etc but i can't find one that goes from round to square, anyone know where to get one, i've even checked the dealer and the junkyard

Redwolf

where can i buy an air cleaner intake hose, i've tried every part store around here and i've even tried rock auto but i can't find one that'll fit my MJ, i know the hose goes from circle to square or square to circle (can't remember which) but i can't find one anywhere just circle to circle, i've even checked junkyards, anyone know where i can get one from?

Redwolf

you probably won't find any, and are going to have to make something work.

I couldn't come up with anything to replace mine, that was back in 2004

yeah, i'm thinkin bout gettin the uni one and just strappin it really good to the square end but the old owner used duct work tape for like a ac duct,

Redwolf

Try searching under an s10 with the 2.8, i've had to do that with a few parts for mine.

s10 pickup or blazer? i know i can get a lot off of a pickup with a 2.8 but what bout the s10 blazer?

Redwolf

Both. You can also look under the gmc s15/jimmy. Those had a 2.8 as well