My Big Dilemma

UNL1MTD

I just bought an MJ. Posted the specs in the Project Forum.

Quick Specs:

'89 ShortBox SporTruck Red

2.5L /AX5/ 231

30/35 w/ 4.10s

Manual Steer

Lots of Rust - in cab, out of cab, on frame, suspension, bed is mint though

No brakes currently (holes in the hard lines ...darn rust)

I just found another for sale that is:

'87 ShortBox SporTruck Red

4.0L / 5 speed (not sure of what type)/ 2wd

D35 rear, unknown gearing.

Zero Rust

Maybe Power steering

Cracked windshield, slight whine from tranny, front end had minor fender bender

Now do I restore the one I bought or just buy the other one and convert it to 4wd? I haven't done much to the first one, so now would be the time to cut my loses and just use it as parts for the other. I would love to hear from those that have just dealt with the rust and those that have converted to 4wd.

-Thanks Sean

I don't know how much your looking at spending to restore, but I would look at the cost involved with getting your rusty one restored to the point of 2wd one you don't own, seeing as you have all the components you need to make the 2wd 4wd if it seems like you save money I would do it.

I'd build the zero rust MJ.

x2

The 4x4 swap is pretty much bolt in. You could leave it SUA and no lift so it would be cheaper and look stock. Just my 2 cents. I plan to restore the wifes one day with a stepside bed some how :nuts: That what she wants to try so were going to give it a shot but that build is for this fall next summer we will see what happens. But build the 2wd rust free.

buy the 87, swap the front end and rear end from your 89 into it, get an ax15 5 speed 4wd tranny, and bolt that in. replace the front end from your 89 then scuff the body and either match the front to the rest or repaint it. makes more sense to restore or build the 87 than it does the 89.

my 2 cents there.

buy the 87, swap the front end and rear end from your 89 into it, get an ax15 5 speed 4wd tranny, and bolt that in. replace the front end from your 89 then scuff the body and either match the front to the rest or repaint it. makes more sense to restore or build the 87 than it does the 89.

my 2 cents there.

seems like this is a no brainer ...

So neither transmission I would own would work for me? Both are 5 speeds, but I'm guessing the 2wd won't bolt to the tcase and the 4wd won't bolt to the 4.0L?

I think I agree with you all, sorta need to be talked into it though. I went out to fire up the '89 and it just clicked. Maybe thats a sign, it was running 2 days ago. Just removed the interior and charged the battery, now click.

Try cleaning your cable connections at the battery.

Looks like you'll need to grab an AX-15 and a matching t-case (spline count).

So the only thing I could use out of my current '89 MJ would be the axles and drive shafts? Maybe some vacum connects for the CAD? In terms of the 4wd conversion. I was thinking of using its rear springs (since they aren't too hatefully sagged out and I was reading they have more arch than 2wds). I was really under the impression I could reuse the tcase. Looks like I have some searching/reading to do.

I did reseat the cables twice. Going to try some baking soda and a wire brush, then wacking the starter.

The AX5 won't go on the 4.0L and the 2wd tranny won't take a Tcase- the slip yoke is part of the tranny, where a 4wd tranny stops with an output for the Tcase.

And I don't think your AX5's Tcase will go on the new AX15. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on that... :)

Still I'd say it's worth it unless you're an expert body man who laughs in the face of rust!

The AX5 won't go on the 4.0L and the 2wd tranny won't take a Tcase- the slip yoke is part of the tranny, where a 4wd tranny stops with an output for the Tcase.

And I don't think your AX5's Tcase will go on the new AX15. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong on that... :)

Still I'd say it's worth it unless you're an expert body man who laughs in the face of rust!

Tcases are all the same AFAIK.

Tcases are all the same AFAIK.

I know the NP207 came behind my 86 AX5 and it had a 21 spline input, the AX15 has 23 spline output...

"Note: You can’t reuse the AX5 tranny. All jeep AX15 transmissions have a 23 spline output shaft, and AX5s have a 21 spline output shaft. ..."

from http://www.jeepaholics.com/tech/25to40/25to40.htm

There might be something I'm missing, but I wouldn't count on using the Tcase.

Could you/he go with an NV3550 and Tcase (like from a TJ?)? :drool:

all BA10s are 21 spline output (thus their t-cases are 21spline input)

and all AX15s are 23 spline output (thus their t-cases are 23spline)

don't know about the 4cyl trannys but i do know that the AW4 was 21 spline through til 1990 and 1991 started 23 spline AW4s

ok off the 89 you can use the front end, you'll need the rear end as well just in case your gears in the 87 are different. you can't use the tranny from the 2.5 on a 4.0, it won't work. but for around 200 to 300 bucks from a good junkyard, you should be able to get a ax15 tranny to match. or a ba10 (whichever the 2wd has stock will be easiest, however the ax15 is stronger)

you'll also need the 4wd selector, and the shift linkages for that. mind you, the linkages change between the parts, (i think) so check that as well.

use the rear springs...you are correct, 2wd rear springs have less arch. take it from someone with 2wd rears on their (now) 4wd mj.

the swap itself is BOLT IN you just have to have the knowhow to do it.

and once you're all done, you can simply throw the 89 together as a 2wd with a 4wd tranny, and sell it to someone as a project.

obviously also switch the front end if it's damaged. you said their both red, so they should match pretty well with the exception of sun fade.

Could you/he go with an NV3550 and Tcase (like from a TJ?)? :drool:

I should just take the drivetrain out of my Unlimited and put it in the MJ. 4.0/6 speed/231 with AA Sye/D30 with chromos & lockrite/D44 with TrackLock. Then drop D60s in the LJ. Ah if money only grew on rust!

Well i'm by no means an expert at anything, but I like to learn everything I can. Figured this would be a good way to get ankel deep in body work, ended up over my head. My real intention was to have a beater, its just the fact that getting the current one running might be more coin to just convert the other to 4wd. Plus I would gain a 4.0l and better body/frame.

converting the better vehcile to 4wd is the best option.

i have a friend, he is really into hondas. he bought a rusted out michingan crx for a few hundred dollars. first it was just going to get a decent paint job done, but then it snowballed into a 20,000 dollar showcar/autocross car. the first time i seen it after the flawless new paint it was beautiful and you couldn't tell it ever had rust on it, or a sunroof (it was filled in). it was beautiful. but the first thing he said was "i wish i would have started with a cleaner car." he told me he spent 8,000 in bodywork and paint to get it like that. a minty fresh crx maximum price would be about 3-4000 dollars for a perfect example.

so i think that the conversion is better, and will be a lot quicker to do.

I'd leave the 4wd one alone and use it as a driver while you collect the parts to build up the 2wd as a 4wd. Then you have 2 MJs, one nice one and one beater. :D That's sorta what I'm doing. The 88 is too much of an offroader to use as a daily driver anymore, so I'm building up the 90. One beater, one driver. :D Oh wait, technically they are both rusted-out beaters. And technically I own 3 beaters, but whatever. :roll:

I'd still fix up the 4wd to drive and then build up the 2wd in my spare time.:brows:

I'd leave the 4wd one alone and use it as a driver while you collect the parts to build up the 2wd as a 4wd. Then you have 2 MJs, one nice one and one beater. :D That's sorta what I'm doing. The 88 is too much of an offroader to use as a daily driver anymore, so I'm building up the 90. One beater, one driver. :D Oh wait, technically they are both rusted-out beaters. And technically I own 3 beaters, but whatever. :roll:

I'd still fix up the 4wd to drive and then build up the 2wd in my spare time.:brows:

I think what my plan currently (changing with every hour) is to get the 2wd, get it to pass inspection. Take the 4wd to a near by place where I can just go grab parts. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of driveway space, so I don't think I could have two MJs just hanging out while I do the conversion, which makes life though. Plus I have the '05 which is my wheeler & current DD, this truck just needs to be able to make it through the woods and be competent in VA ice/snow (which is getting more mild every year). Having two MJs running and semi-permanent definitely is out of my scope.

So I bought the other MJ. Hopefully it will get trailered here tomorrow and I can start to swap parts and get it up to snuff to pass inspection. Then the 4wd swap begins. This one has a touch of an electrical gremlin for the front blinkers and is spitting colant from the upper radiator reservoir. It also had a hole in its brakes hardline. But zero rust, thats a biggy, a good running 4.0L, and power steering.

Damn I got 2 MJs and 1 TJ, I got a problem.