Anyone Ever Convert A 4.0L To Use A Carburetor

Just a random thought. Seems almost all 4.0L & 2.5L motor problems I read in the tech section, mine included, are related to sensor this or sensor that. I was thinking wouldn't life be simpler with a well set up carb?

you couldn't pay me to go to a carb. we have some of the simplest FI setups out there with only a few sensors to worry about. and with a multimeter and a printout, you can diagnose your troubles. we have OLD trucks. not a thing wrong with FI setups as long as you upkeep them. same as a carb.

you couldn't pay me to go to a carb. we have some of the simplest FI setups out there with only a few sensors to worry about. and with a multimeter and a printout, you can diagnose your troubles. we have OLD trucks. not a thing wrong with FI setups as long as you upkeep them. same as a carb.

I agree wholeheartedly.

So the conclusion is ... While more complicated, the injection system's benefits are worth it. Must say, I hadn't considered climb angles! But I do very much notice the difference in how my 4.0L with its injection system doesn't lose power when altitude in the mountains is a factor compared to the 2.8L with its carb. That gets very out of breath climbing through high elevation passes!

I once had a 1947 Hudson pickup with a failed fuel pump ... and a carburetor. I was able to drive it several miles to get home by putting gasoline in a tin can with a barbed fitting in the bottom, and connecting that to the carb inlet with a length of rubber fuel line hose. Hung the can from a threaded rod under the hood and I was on the road.

Try that with electronic, multiport fuel injection.

So the conclusion is ... While more complicated, the injection system's benefits are worth it. Must say, I hadn't considered climb angles! But I do very much notice the difference in how my 4.0L with its injection system doesn't lose power when altitude in the mountains is a factor compared to the 2.8L with its carb. That gets very out of breath climbing through high elevation passes!

That's just the difference between a 2.8L and a 4.0L. The loss of power at altitude is a direct result of the loss of atmospheric pressure. Remember, no internal combustion engine can create compression pressure -- it just multiplies whatever is out there by the compression ratio. The closer the ambient gets to zero ... well, do the math. Zero times 100 is still zero.

Want to know just how much difference altitude and atmospheric pressure make? In 1968, electric wipers were still an option on many cars. My 1968 Javelin had vacuum wipers. It also had the high-performance 343 c.i.d. V8, which in the day was a VERY fast engine (and mine ran better than most). I drove it across the country once, and one of my stops was Pike's Peak. It was very foggy and cool that day. The base elevation at Colorado Springs is around 7,000 feet and the summit is about 14,000. My wipers were very lazy at the base. By around 9,000 or 10,000 feet they just stopped working. Completely. Wouldn't even think about starting to give a twitch.

Once I got off the mountain and back to around 6,000 feet they were fine, and they lasted as long as I had the car, which was another ten years or so.

Don't ignore basic Physics.

few years ago I watched a rally car end its race with the co-driver sitting on the engine bay spraying a starter fluid can into the intake hose to keep the engine going. where there's a will, there's a way. :D

few years ago I watched a rally car end its race with the co-driver sitting on the engine bay spraying a starter fluid can into the intake hose to keep the engine going. where there's a will, there's a way. :D

:rotf: That's brilliant. How did it place?

Carbed 4.0 IMO isn't worth it. The injection system is simple by modern standards and it's only really a couple of different things that can cause trouble.

I once had a 1947 Hudson pickup with a failed fuel pump ... and a carburetor. I was able to drive it several miles to get home by putting gasoline in a tin can with a barbed fitting in the bottom, and connecting that to the carb inlet with a length of rubber fuel line hose. Hung the can from a threaded rod under the hood and I was on the road.

Try that with electronic, multiport fuel injection.

Almost did the same thing with a '34 chevy I had. Me and my buddy and lil bro had been out chasing and shooting coyotes The Chevy quit. Quick inspection showed no gas to carb. No tools. Over 5 miles back to house. Filled a Pepsi bottle with gas and buddy sat on right hand fender dribbling gas into the carb . Just got to the edge of town when the cops stopped us. After explaining to him what was going on and pointing out only had 2 blocks to get home he said OK. As he was walking back to his car he was chuckling and muttering something ' about dern kids.'

Being a carb builder and tuner myself i absolutely LOVE carbs. BUT they were replaced by injection for a reason.

They just can't provide the proper mixture to the engine under all circumstances. I have been building and wheeling 50s vw buses for 20 years roughly and the biggest issue is climbing steep hills. The carbs overflow out the vent and bogs the engine and your screwed halfway up the hill.

It sucks but you learn how to drive around the issue. You can add vent extensions and do many mods to the carb but its still a pita in off camber situations.

So yeah as wonderful as the injection is on these jeeps.. i wouldnt change a thing.