Wv Mj

I bought this 87 MJ in February of 2012. It was originally a 2wd 5spd but was converted by PO, it also has a Ford 8.8 and SOA also done by PO. I haven't done much too it other than drive it. I have added a V8 ZJ front sway bar and an oba system which I will add some pics of. I plan on adding LA and 33/35's and lockers once I get my ZJ on the road again. The MJ we be a slow process, but I will add pics of progress when it does happen.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For my OBA I got a compressor from the pick n pull off an XJ. I tore it down completely and cleaned all the oil out and replaced with Lucas marine grease. Tapped the ports for 3/8 npt, and used AN fittings and braided stainless hose from Summit. My manifold and tank both came from Kilby and the tank is mounted underneath the bed where the spare tire used to be.

Sanden compressor

Manifold

Manifold

Here is a parts list I compiled. I pretty much used the article in JP mag as a guideline

Sanden 508 compressor & bracket Junkyard

Kilby 1.75gal tank KE-AT175 kilbystore.com

Kilby 6" manifold KE-AM6 kilbystore.com

Drain valve 3/8" NPT DC-38 kilbystore.com

Merril Pressure gauge PG200 amazon.com

3/8" check valve amazon.com

Viar 1/4" NPT safety valve 175psi 92175 amazon.com

Viar 110/145psi pressure switch amazon.com

Bussman ATC add a circuit amazon.com

Insulated clamps SUM-G1882 Summit Racing

6AN x 20' stainless hose SUM-230620 Summit Racing

6AN to 3/8NPT 90 SUM-240115B Summit Racing

6AN to 3/8NPT straight SUM-240101B Summit Racing

3/8NPT plug Home Depot

1/4 to 1/8NPT bushing Home Depot

3/8 to 1/4NPT bushing Home Depot

1/4NPT plug Home Depot

3/8NPT to barb

Spectre breather filter 3998 Pep Boys

20a dc toggle switch

Finally got some ZJ e-brake cables for the 8.8 put on today. It's nice to have an e-brake after a year without one. Also put on an OR Fab front winch bumper. I'll post some picks tomorrow if I remember.

Here are some pics of the OR Fab front winch bumper. I'll get some lights and a winch put on her sometime. I am very pleased with the fit and finish of the bumper, the only thing I don't like about the bumper was it was all grade 5 hardware except the 3 bolts that attach to the steering box were grade 8. A trip to the hardware store was an easy fix, but you would think grade 8 bolts would have been included.

• 1 year later...

Haven't posted any updates in awhile, been real busy between moving and addition of a little one to the family.  Also started working on the ZJ again, 242 swap with SYE, and getting ready to regear my front.

I made a plug n play 4-way flat trailer wiring harness over the weekend. I started with a spare rear body connector that I got at the pick n pull. And a 3 foot long 4-way flat vehicle end connector that I split the wires, twisted and heat shrinked.

Next I connected the the wires from the plug ends and trailer harness together. I didn't use the backup light, so I just connected the 2 wires from the body plug together.

Brown: Right turn and brake light
Black: Ground
Blue: Tail (parking) lights
Brown with white tracer: Backup light
Grey with black tracer: Left turn and brake light

Here it is hooked up under the manche. I wish i somehow heat shrinked all the wires together between the plugs instead of using black tape. But I think that is me being picky.

• 3 months later...

I don't have a build thread on my ZJ. It has a 3 link RK long arm. XJ44 with 4.88, Detroit, Alloy USA shafts and ZJ discs. The front D30 has 4.88s, shafts, and an Eaton elocker. Maxxis 35" rubbers, 242 swap with Tom Woods SYE and driveshaft are the major things. Jeep Jamboree USA rocker panels (1/4" panels, no longer in production), gas skid, t-case skid, lca skids, steering box brace.

I haven't updated in awhile but I have completed a few projects. The first was I upgraded the computer to an 89 model. I did make a noticeable difference in the feel of power. Seems like the MJ idles a little smoother as well. I would definitely recommend this to everyone.

I finally got her some new shoes as well. The Kumho's that were on there just weren't doin it for me, and I have had new black steelies waiting to go on for the last 2 yrs. I upgraded to 33x12.50 BFG KM2. I mounted and balanced them at home and used 2000 .12 airsoft BBs per tire. By calculations the only needed 1876 per tire, but i would rather have a few extra as not enough.

I mounted the relay on the passenger side of the engine bay and routed the switch leads on the firewall with the main wiring harness. From there I went through the grommet just above were the clutch mc would be.

I mounted the switch on one of the blank panels to the left of the steering wheel.

Relay