Gears, Gears, Gears!

If you have to ask, you do not have the tools nor the knowledge to install the gears yourself. If you are going to pay somebody to do that for you, you will pay more than it would cost for a set of junk yard axles that already have 4.10 gears.

Look for a 4wd Cherokee with a 4 cylinder/5 speed stick. Front axle will bolt in, rear axle will need a bit of cutting with an angle grinder, new spring perches (cheap) and $20 paid to a welding shop to make it bolt in.

You should be able to get both axles for ~$350. That is quite a bit less than you will per axle to have your current ones regeared ($500-$800, for a total of $1000-$1600).

I belong to a great jeep club with many skilled individuals whom I could call on for help.

I should've been more specific and said what other ring and opinion will work in my current diffs, what axles are easiest to swap, and which supermarket companies have you had the best luck with.

That seems like a good deal if its all in good shape,what are they out of?

Ouch. :ack: Even if the D30 is an HP and neither axle has ever been used and was just painted. I'm thinking $500, my humble opinion only.

I'm gonna guess that you have never priced lockers.

Ok, I've found a guy here on Craigslist who has an 8.8 with 4.56 and an arb air locker as well as a Dana 30 with matching gears and a trutrac. He's asking $700. Good deal or not?

With an ARB in the rear and a Trutrac in the front, that's a steal -- if you want or need an ARB and a Trutrac. If you don't need 'em, then you're paying for expensive toys you won't be getting full value from.

• 2 weeks later...

They only way you will learn is to do it yourself. By ya a set. Have a buddy come over that has done it before and get er done!

I have Motive Gears in mine right now. They are cheap and they hold up to 37s. No complaints here. don't waste your money on high priced gears.

I also have a Spartan locker in the rear that hold up to street driving and trails. Maybe one day it will go..but as of now I stand behind them!