SOA Pinion Angle?

So, I'm about ready to weld on my new spring perches, but I thought I'd double check to make sure I was thinking correctly about this. On my old D35, I set it up on some jackstands and put a level on the spring perch. With the spring perches level, and the degree finder placed on the surface of the diff that the cover mounts to, I get a reading of between 10 and 11*. So, if I do the same with my new mounts, level them with the diff case at 11* or so, I should be okay right? I do not have a slip yoke, just using the stock driveshaft, so I do not want to tip it towards the t-case correct?

If it makes any differance, my old axle was the D35, my new one is an 8.25 out of a 99 XJ. So what is the easiest way to double check to make sure the axle pinion is parallel to the t-case output shaft?

Take a degree finder and check the degree at the Transfer case output and then do the same on the axles Pinion. OR you can take the old axle and make the pinion level to the ground and then take and messure the degree on the perches. IIRC 10-11 is about right though I'm sure someone Knows for sure.

Cole

The pinion should sit parrallel to the transfer case output.

Cole

I've always assumed that the pinion should point at the t-case ouput. Like:

T-case -----------

...........................\\ pinion

^300" of lift, but I think the idea is there.

Have I been mistaken?

i have a question on the same page so I don't want to hijack this thread but i read some where that you could take a front drive shaft and make it work on the rear using the two joint is this true and I will start a new thread if this goes of on its own just wanted to ask.

watson

i have a question on the same page so I don't want to hijack this thread but i read some where that you could take a front drive shaft and make it work on the rear using the two joint is this true and I will start a new thread if this goes of on its own just wanted to ask.

watson

yeah, some people get a SYE and have a front driveshaft lengthened to work. others just buy a new tomwoods or something.

watson

If you're asking about running identical shafts front and rear, that won't work on our trucks because the rear shaft is much longer than the front.

If you're asking about running identical shafts front and rear, that won't work on our trucks because the rear shaft is much longer than the front.

no i was talking about just CV joint using it and making the rest or something like that.

no i was talking about just CV joint using it and making the rest or something like that.

That's what my rear is.

Uh, don't try lengthening a rear yourself. It might vibe a bitsy.

On U-joint angles? Well, if my truck is any indicator, you can be off a lot and still not have vibes. The axle (SOA) points straight up towards the t-case, but I don't have a double-cardon d-shaft, just a regular one. Although, I do have the rubber isolator version. I replaced the u-joints when I did the buildup and I can't sense any vibes from it. :dunno:

How much can you be off? Quick check today and I am off a lot :cry:

Charles

Lots. That common chart is mostly BS. Yesh, you should try to have the joints cancel each other. The reality is the velocity change you'll see in most of our applications will not cause an issue.

It has u-joints.

Well the axle is set at 90deg. using a level the trans is at what ever angle it's at. I also have the rubber isolator version drive shaft.

Also is the u-joint in the 2x4 different then the 4x4 DS? I picked up a new 4x4 u-joint to replace the old one (2x4) and it's not as big :nuts:

Charles