Clutch Master Cylinder

I just got finished installing a new master and slave on my YJ. I filled the reservoir up with new fluid, and opened up the bleeder. I depressed the clutch and held it to the floor until the bleeder is tight, then let up on the clutch pedal. Open the bleeder. Depress the pedal and hold it down. Close bleeder. Let pedal up. Open bleeder. Depress pedal and hold. Check reservoir level and add fluid as necessary. Close bleeder. Let pedal up. Open bleeder. Depress pedal and hold. and on and on and on until all air is out.

The other method is if you don't have a helper with a strong foot....

open the bleeder and attach some new clean clear tubing on to the end of the bleeder with it kept open. Put the end of the tube into a jar of new brake fluid. A clear jar is best so you can see the bubbles coming out. Elevate the jar so it is as close to the bleeder as possible. The end of the tube needs to stay submerged at all times. Pump the clutch slowely and the air will be forced out into the jar and escape as bubbles. When you let up on the pedal, it will try to suck backwards through the tube, but since the end of the tube is submerged in brake fluid, it will only suck in fluid not air. You do it until you see no more bubbles in the jar. Then close the bleeder and see if it feel right.

If it doesn't , you convert to an external slave... :yes:

You bleed from the slave cyl, not the master.

For the slave, you have to get under the jeep. Look for two tubes coming out of the bell housing. One will end with a bleeder nipple on it.

You can use the jar/fluid method above or get a vacuum bleeder.

If you are solo, be prepared to get up and refill the master, then back down under to operate the bleeder.

Usually, if you put on a new or good master or slave cylinder, put it all together, and pump the clutch pedal like crazy and it will bleed itself. but do it then wait a couple hours between pumping, Id say 3 or 4 times is good.

sounds about like what i did,

installed a new slave, filled the master, pumped it about 30-40 times, checked fluid level and added fluid, bumped it till it was firm, added fluid if needed, waited a couple hours for the little bubbles to go away and pumped it some more.

it is not the "proper" way but it worked for me and i have a nice firm petal without any slack

Is it weird that the bottom of the bell housing is full of clutch fluid instead of the wall by the fuse panel?

Not at all. Just means the slave cylinder is leaking and not the master cylinder.

On a side note: You should have seen the strange look my Aunt gave me the other day when I mentiond needing to "bleed the slave after changing the master". I kid you not she was puzzled and bothered enough to pull me aside to explain myself.

Lmfao hahaha no way! Hahahaha and thanks for the info I think I might just park the jeep because if the slave cylinder I might as well change cthe whole shebang with the clutch assembly

That's the best way to buy the parts actually. They sell it as a kit. Clutch, pressure plate, slave, pilot bearing even comes with the alignment tool.

I believe most of the replacement slaves are self bleeding. I do not how to tell the difference.

The replacement slaves come with a big zip tie holding them in the compressed position. You are NOT supposed to cut that tie when you install the slave cylinder. After everything is buttoned up, the zip tie is intended to break the first time you step on the pedal, so when the bellows expands it pulls brake (clutch) fluid into the slave from the master cylinder.

I don't know what a stage II clutch kit is, but if it is a high performance clutch kit, there is a good chance it will require a lot more force to depress the pedal. Keep that in mind if you do a lot of city driving. Stiffer clutches are for high performance applications where you don't want slippage. Like drag strips...

A waste of money IMO.

Sorry not a stage 2 clutch lit I mean like a center force clutch kit....do anyone know if their worth it or just stick to stock?

I mean I've been so used to heavy traffic that driving stick on crazy traffic days is like 2nd nature to me I mean I don't mind the grind of pushing the pedal 50 times in a 45min traffic jam lol