Upgrade Headlights

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i will say it is a huge difference. i didn't think it would matter but its way brighter enough that we ordered 2 more for the other jeeps from amazon.com which is the cheapest place i could find them. 

I've installed over 4 sets. The only one I upgraded bulbs on was my MJ. Autopal housings with some Phillips 100/90 bulbs I had laying around.

Alright.  After reading and re-reading CC and other Jeep forums about the lighting upgrade, I now understand it is not a replacement wiring harness, but a supplemental harness.

This got me thinking of doing the same upgrade to my 84 CJ7.

The question I have is the wiring harness long enough to stretch from the battery - passenger's side firewall - to the driver's headlight?

(I know this is an MJ forum, but all the smart and knowledgable people are here.)

Alright.  After reading and re-reading CC and other Jeep forums about the lighting upgrade, I now understand it is not a replacement wiring harness, but a supplemental harness.

This got me thinking of doing the same upgrade to my 84 CJ7.

The question I have is the wiring harness long enough to stretch from the battery - passenger's side firewall - to the driver's headlight?

(I know this is an MJ forum, but all the smart and knowledgable people are here.)

I bet it would. IIRC, I coiled up extra power wires when I did the XJs.

Will it fit - yes it should. The harness isn't XJ/MJ specific, it's a universal harness. It's purpose is to provide a safe way to upgrade sealed beams to higher amp H4 bulbs w/o burning up the original amp-limited harness and switch. It accomplishes this by wiring in two separate relays to carry the new H4 HI/LO headlamp loads. After installation, the original harness and headlamp switch is used only to trigger/switch the relay coils, not the H4 load.

Edit: On some applications the fused power lead to the battery and/or ground lead may need to be lengthened or shortened. Ideally, the harness should be customized for the shortest route between point A and point B to minimize voltage drops.

• 1 year later...

So in essence, using the supplemental harness you all speak of, means that the original H/L wiring is only used to drive the relays which deliver the higher current to the lamps, correct? 

Exactly.

Totally doing this, but I just may skip the Hella housings for now, the halogens are adequate for my night driving, carry on...

Totally doing this, but I just may skip the Hella housings for now, the halogens are adequate for my night driving, carry on...

The Hella housings use halogen H4 bulbs. What are you using? Halogen sealed beams?

I recommend Truck-Lites to anyone. I have them on my XJ and will probably get them for the MJ too.

I have the 7" round LED Truck-Lites on my JK and they are great. So I tried the 200mm rectangular Truck-Lites on the MJ and was not impressed. Far less light output than the round ones. I also tried some GE Nighthawk LEDs and they were less than stellar also. I think it's more difficult to get a good light pattern with the rectangular housing. So I went back to the Hella e-codes.

The Hella housings use halogen H4 bulbs. What are you using? Halogen sealed beams?

I recommend Truck-Lites to anyone. I have them on my XJ and will probably get them for the MJ too.

I have the 7" round LED Truck-Lites on my JK and they are great. So I tried the 200mm rectangular Truck-Lites on the MJ and was not impressed. Far less light output than the round ones. I also tried some GE Nighthawk LEDs and they were less than stellar also. I think it's more difficult to get a good light pattern with the rectangular housing. So I went back to the Hella e-codes.

Yes, halogen sealed beams is what my MJ sports...

I know your down south hornbrod so I don't know how much this would affect you (or how often), but more specifically rmoore being in NY and with winters do you notice any ice buildup or whatnot in the winter when driving? that's one of the main reasons I never went to LED primary lighting because ive had many of storms that have iced up my whole front end with .5-1inch of solid ice but my headlights  still melt and shine through. id imagine not with LEDs as they don't produce heat

I know your down south hornbrod so I don't know how much this would affect you (or how often), but more specifically rmoore being in NY and with winters do you notice any ice buildup or whatnot in the winter when driving? that's one of the main reasons I never went to LED primary lighting because ive had many of storms that have iced up my whole front end with .5-1inch of solid ice but my headlights  still melt and shine through. id imagine not with LEDs as they don't produce heat

Yeah the ice/snow build up does suck in the winter. But the snow is so bright with LEDs!