Dana 44 From An Xj

No driveshaft shenanigans? And isnt the 2.5 the most common engine associated with the XJ D44?

Good point. Supposedly the U joints are different. But thats something I'm sure he would figure out as he does the job.

Prob need adapter joint, or when driveline gets shortened have them put the proper yoke on that end.

With my SOA the factory drive shaft ended up being perfect with the D44 swap. The lift made it a bit short and the D44 put it back to about stock.

Thats good to know. I was told in my thread that the yokes are different and i needed the matching dirveshaft. So i got it. Either way i have both shafts now. So ill figure that out when I'm doing my SOA. :)

everybody has you on the right path. to save a little coin grab the spring plates. that ruffstuff kit is what you need but it can be pieced together cheaper but.... and don't forget about gear ratio if your 4wd.

No driveshaft shenanigans? And isnt the 2.5 the most common engine associated with the XJ D44?

Still uses 1310 series u joints, so your driveshaft will be fine as far as that goes. The nose on the D44 is about an inch or so longer than a D35, so you might *possibly* have to have your driveshaft shortened a bit if you don't lift your truck.

And I doubt the majority of D44s came behind a 4 cylinder. Why would they put the heavier duty axle behind the least powerful engine? AFAIK they came with the tow package, which automatically meat 4.0/automatic, or could be ordered separately as a "heavy duty rear axle" on older Cherokees. On Comanches they also came with the Metric Tonne/Big Ton package, but that package was never available on the Cherokee. Newer Cherokees got a 8.25" if no ABS or D35 if ABS.

Thanks Everyone for your advice.I just picked up the axle and was undecided on soa or sua. I have bought a 88 long bed 4x4 (parts truck or?) that has 33's on it and was going to use its lift.I hear mixed reviews on the soa set up. Mine is a 1990 4.0 5spd 4x4 short

bed,so no problems shortening the drive shaft if needed. Should the stock pinion angle work when setting up the axle?

Pinion angle depends on type of driveshaft, there is a good diagram floating around somewhere. With a stock style driveshaft, stock pinion angle will be correct.

If you go SOA, you would need about 6.5" lift in front to make it look right. In that case you probably also need to lengthen your driveshaft although you may be able to get away with your stock one and a longer slip yoke.

And let me add a tidbit from my experience doing similar. Get yourself a good angle indicator (clinometer),

and position everythng under the vehicle as you intend it. Temporarily hook up the driveshaft, lower the vehicle

to the expected ride height (bottle jacks under frame). Get all your driveline angles worked out and mark the

position of the spring perches before welding. Yes, you can use angle shims for fine adjustment, but get it

all close as you can before welding.