How Much Will My Built Mj Weigh??

I'm looking into buying a new truck that will from time to time be used as a tow rig once the Chief gets finished. However, it will mostly see daily driving responsibilities. Right now, I'm trying to figure out if a half ton truck will suffice, or if I need to move up into 3/4 ton territory. The MJ is an 88 short bed, stock 4.0 drivetrain, but with d60 front and a 14 bolt rear, currently sitting on 37's. Any educated guesses as to where this will land on the scales? I know that in stock trim, curb weight is a hair under 3k lbs., so I'm guessing that it'll be in the area of 4500 lbs. when fully built?

Just take it to a truck stop with scales or a truck weigh station on the side of the highway, pull up on the scale and it'll read what you're weighing. It takes the guesswork out that way.

i would, but the build won't be done for another few months, and the new DD pickup will most likely be happening in the next few weeks. guess work is gonna have to work :(

You're going to be better off just figuring you'll need a 3/4 ton, especially if towing any significant distance. Somewhere around 4500lbs is probably a good estimate, but make sure to remember you'll probably have the weight of spare parts, tools and friends which will all add up pretty quick.

Don't forget the weight of the trailer also as they get heavy fast. When I get a tow rig (won't be a few years atleast), I plan on going at the very least 3/4 ton. Probably going to go to go to 1 - 1 1/2 ton though and get a goose neck trailer to hold two vehicles.

FWIW, my 10k rated trailer 18 foot weighs 2300 empty.

That's pretty light for a 10K trailer. My 7K rated 20' footer was 2K lbs.

Anyway, my MJ with bumpers, winch, tires, D44s, sliders, single spare, is right at 5K. Can be a couple of hundred to 500 lbs over that depending on what else I'm hauling, which usually consists of plenty of tools, lots of fluids, hi-lift, hydraulic floor jack, storage box of spare parts, cooler full of ice and beer, and then another 230 lbs for my fat butt.

Well my 1989 MJ 4.0 auto with D30 front AMC20 rear trussed & locked, and pit bull rocker 35" tires on steel wheels (100 pounds each), winch and hd bumpers,full tank gas, gas tank skid, factory roll bar and RC long arm system. and me in driver seat (210 pounds) is at 4100. . so for you to get another 400 pound would take a little work? I would say you will be under 4500 no problem. my Mj has be on the scales 5 times always within 100 pounds or so depends on gas in tank (full gas tank 4100)

IIRC, Cherokee in stock trim is 2900 something. Comanche is over 3K. I think 4500 is a conservative number with 5000 being more realistic, add 2000 for the trailer and you're looking t 7000 pounds. While some 1/2 tons trucks could probably handle that, I would go 3/4.

Trucks are weird anymore, though. My 1/2 ton Suburban had 6 lug axles, my 3/4 ton van has 5 lug.... Used to be Chevy/GMC 1500 meant half ton, but my buddies 1500HD (with factory rear steer!) Silverado sits on 8 lug axles with a baby 14 bolt under the rear.

I can tell you this... My last wheeler was a 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee WJ. It had 4.7 v8, auto, Atlas 3.8, Ford 9 rear with 35spline shafts, front 960 35spline, full belly skid, solid link longarm (rockcrawler), custom gas tank skid, and belly skid, Arb front bumper, winch, custom rear bumper, kevins sliders, and 5 17inch beadlocks with 5 37 krawlers. I weighed it with 3 people and gear for 3 people for a 3 day Rubicon trip (camping gear, coolers, 5 gallon water, 5 gallon fuel, bbq, It was full in the back, and had stuff on the roof and one back seat was down with stuff in it. The rig weighed 6952lbs!!!!!!

So 1 tons, bumpers, winch, sliders, armor, I doubt you will keep it under 5000lb, also the factory # is usually low....

Hmm, my 3/4 ton camper van with an extended roof (95.5" high, surely catches more wind than your truck) I get 16mpg highway without a trailer, 14 towing my empty car hauler and 9 towing my truck. That is with a 21 year old 5.7l small block with over 100,000 miles on it. One of the reasons for the single digit towing is that the van itself weighs over 8,000 pounds empty, truck on trailer is 7,000 pounds or more and I usually have over 1,000 pounds of camping gear, water, gas and people in the van with only a 700R4 transmission. There is no way that transmission can handle 16,000 pounds in overdrive, so I tow in drive. When it blows I will look for a 4L80E and standalone computer. 400 would be simpler, but it has no OD so wouldn't help my mileage any.